Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: News for Java?

Re: News for Java?

Roedy Green

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
someone who said :

>Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
Gosling. Neither were application programmers. They did not have a
proper appreciation for just verbose, and hard to maintain Java is.
Just tiny bits of sugar would save millions of keystrokes.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bali.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Mike Schilling

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>>Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
> Gosling.

Gosling left Sun just before Oracle took over.

> Neither were application programmers.

Ever heard of a thing called vi?

Travers Naran

On 05/01/2011 9:24 PM, Mike Schilling wrote:

> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
>> someone who said :
>>
>>> Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

>> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
>> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
>> Gosling.

> Gosling left Sun just before Oracle took over.

Was it really Gosling & Joy that fought it, though? I thought there
were other issues (esp. involving the JVM) that slowed the syntactic sugar.

>> Neither were application programmers.

> Ever heard of a thing called vi?

That doesn't really help his reputation.

(For the record, I love vi, and I install VIM on all my work computers)

Tom Anderson

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Travers Naran wrote:

> On 05/01/2011 9:24 PM, Mike Schilling wrote:
>
>> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
>>> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
>>> Gosling. Neither were application programmers.

>> Ever heard of a thing called vi?

> That doesn't really help his reputation.
>
> (For the record, I love vi, and I install VIM on all my work computers)

Me too. I *hate* my colleagues.

tom

--
HATE THIS SONG ITS TERRIBLE! SHES ANNOYIN ASWELL AND I DONT LIKE HER
!!!!!!!!!! ;( -- songlover

Arne Vajh°j

On 06-01-2011 17:54, Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Travers Naran wrote:
>
>> On 05/01/2011 9:24 PM, Mike Schilling wrote:
>>
>>> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Ever heard of a thing called vi?

>> That doesn't really help his reputation.
>>
>> (For the record, I love vi, and I install VIM on all my work computers)

> Me too. I *hate* my colleagues.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 06-01-2011 00:24, Mike Schilling wrote:
> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
>> someone who said :
>>
>>> Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

>> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
>> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
>> Gosling.

> Gosling left Sun just before Oracle took over.

I thought it was after.

http://nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/time_to_move_on

Arne

Mike Schilling

"Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4d2657da$0$23754$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 06-01-2011 00:24, Mike Schilling wrote:
>> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted

>>> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
>>> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
>>> Gosling.

>> Gosling left Sun just before Oracle took over.

> I thought it was after.

Right you are. I was mixing it up with Oracle's takeover of my former
employer. Gosling left a bit before that became final.

Arne Vajh°j

On 05-01-2011 23:52, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:16:00 +0100, "Midnightmare"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>> Java will reach C# as syntactic richness?

> I tried to push it that way back in the early days. Gosling and Joy
> did not like "syntactic sugar". Now Joy is gone, I don't know about
> Gosling.

Joy left SUN in 2003. Gosling left Oracle in 2010.

> Neither were application programmers.

I would consider an editor to be an application.

> They did not have a
> proper appreciation for just verbose, and hard to maintain Java is.
> Just tiny bits of sugar would save millions of keystrokes.

Given that typing is not a constraining factor in professional
software engineering, then that fact is not important.

Arne