Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Copying a file

Re: Copying a file

richard

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 02:23:43 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Just curious. If I have a file, say an .mp3 file in a folder called Music, then
> I copy it to another folder that I use for uploading to a web site, are there
> now two complete .mp3 files on my hard drive, or is it just the original with a
> smaller file pointing to it? Thanks.

You will have a copy of the entire file.
Copy a file onto a flash drive. Now take that flash drive and install in
another machine. Can you play the mp3 now or do you get an error message
saying it can't locate the file?

Mike Yetto

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 02:23:43 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> Just curious. If I have a file, say an .mp3 file in a folder called Music, then
>> I copy it to another folder that I use for uploading to a web site, are there
>> now two complete .mp3 files on my hard drive, or is it just the original with a
>> smaller file pointing to it? Thanks.

>You will have a copy of the entire file.
>Copy a file onto a flash drive. Now take that flash drive and install in
>another machine. Can you play the mp3 now or do you get an error message
>saying it can't locate the file?

You can't answer a question by rewording it to a more complicated
question.

To the OP, when you copy a file you will have the original and a
copy, the semantics are the same as if it were a note on your
desk. When you move a file it will be in a different place.

Mike "find a beginner's course and take the prerequisite" Yetto
In practice they are not.

oldies hunter

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 08:52:04 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 01:12:11 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Copy a file onto a flash drive. Now take that flash drive and install in
>>another machine. Can you play the mp3 now or do you get an error message
>>saying it can't locate the file?

> If you don't know, bullis, just say so. It's OK. We all know you
> aren't computer savvy.

Both of you do not understand straight forward english and communication.
The question was, is a copy of a file the entire file or a short reference
to the original?
My answer was to prompt the poster in trying a test to see what happens to
confirm his own answer. If you fail to understand my reply, you really are
ignorant.
Why not try it out for yourself? Oh, but wait. You already have thousands
of times. So the answer to the poster's question is in fact, you get an
exact copy of the original file, not a reference.