Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Network Printing

Network Printing

WVMontani

Not sure this is the right forum or not, but....

I have a small network in my house. I'm running Windows 2000 server
on all my server boxes (hey, its old but it works) and I have Windows
XP and Windows 7 64-bit on my workstations.

I am trying to print from the Windows 7 machine to an HP Photosmart
7760 printer which is connected to my Print Server box (Also
Win2000).

When I try to add the HP7760 to my Windows 7 printer definitions, I
get an error saying it cannot find a driver. HP says it does not make
a Windows 7 driver for this printer. The weird thing is, if I connect
the HP7760 directly to the Windows 7 box as a local printer, it prints
just fine. But if I map to the HP7760 when it is connected to the
Win2000 box, it says it cannot find a driver.

Help me out here, please.

-WVMontani

Paul

Maybe this can help you:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...2-146e147c90c8

Paul

Steve Foster

WVMontani wrote:

> Not sure this is the right forum or not, but....
>
> I have a small network in my house. I'm running Windows 2000 server
> on all my server boxes (hey, its old but it works) and I have Windows
> XP and Windows 7 64-bit on my workstations.
>
> I am trying to print from the Windows 7 machine to an HP Photosmart
> 7760 printer which is connected to my Print Server box (Also
> Win2000).
>
> When I try to add the HP7760 to my Windows 7 printer definitions, I
> get an error saying it cannot find a driver. HP says it does not make
> a Windows 7 driver for this printer. The weird thing is, if I connect
> the HP7760 directly to the Windows 7 box as a local printer, it prints
> just fine. But if I map to the HP7760 when it is connected to the
> Win2000 box, it says it cannot find a driver.

Since you've successfully installed it as a local printer, just update
the port for the local printer to point to the network location. Or if
you'd prefer to keep that in reserve, just add another local printer,
but specify a new port of "\\network\share".

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: