Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Printer drivers anyone? IT DOESN'T EXIST

Re: Printer drivers anyone? IT DOESN'T EXIST

Jeff Strickland

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> [...]

>> printer is for Windows ME and Windows NT 4.0.
>>
>> If you want to try either of them, go to www.driverguide.com or
>> www.driverskit.com
>>
>> For DriverGuide,you'll have to sort through 6 pages of search results to
>> find them (this site's DB search isn't the best, but they usually have a
>> large variety).
>>
>> For DriversKit, you'll have to scroll down past the "download now"
>> driverscans to the super small print for the link. Once you go to the
>> download link, you'll have to wait 90 seconds for access to the download.
>>
>> I felt in a good enough mood to search the following sites for you with
>> negative results for your desired driver:
>> www.canon.com
>> www.epson.com (just for grins)
>> www.driverguide.com
>> www.driverfiles.com
>> www.driverstock.com
>> www.pcdrivers.com
>> www.driverskit.com
>>
>> I read a comment somewhere that a driver for this printer is included in
>> the Windows XP driver collection on the Installation Disk, so you might
>> want to check your own Win2000 Installation disk. I didn't see it on my
>> copy of WinXP Home, though, and I doubt you'll find what your after since
>> nobody including the manufacturer has it.
>>
>> You're probably going to have to break down and find a newer printer
>> compatible with the OS you're using. I've collected many over the years
>> at Yard/Garage Sales and then went online for the driver. If there is a
>> nearby discount, thrift, or Goodwill store you might find one there.
>>
>> Many brand new printers are cheap. You can usually find one for under
>> $50
>>
>> HP Officejet 6000 CB051A - $49.99 Free Shipping at www.newegg.com
>> is compatible with Windows 2000 SP4
>>
>> LEXMARK X series X2670 26S0285 - $49.99 + $6.99 shipping at
>> www.newegg.com is compatible with Windows 2000 5.00.2195 or later
>>
>> Printers from Walmart are usually Win XP Home SP 2 and later
>>
>> In the future, you might want to consider your tone when asking for help.
>> You were kind of hostile toward us and we weren't the ones who caused
>> your problems.
>>

>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ---

> Like i said, Win2000 disk DOES have a driver - but it does not work
> correctly.
> Also, (as i implied more or less) the majority of those sites force one
> thru hoops and no driver is actually available - unless (maybe??) one is
> able to pass the multi-megabyte hoop jumping they force you into.
>
> Interesting about XP..will try XP Pro (OEM) just for grins.
> Concerning printers now available for "cheap", i bet that none of them
> have cheap cartridges and that most of them cost less than the ink
> cartridge(s) - meaning constant replacement of printers....not ceap in
> long run!
> If you know of an exception i would be VERY interested.

You should stop wasting your time. That old printer is not supported. There
are no viable drivers that you seem to be willing to pursue. That is, the
things you are willing to do will not produce a driver for you, and the
things that might (but I have serious doubts about) give you a driver, you
will not do so it does not matter if they work or not.

Buy yourself a new printer for well under a hundred bucks. You'll be glad
you did.

Jeff Strickland

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) net...

>>> Like i said, Win2000 disk DOES have a driver - but it does not work
>>> correctly.
>>> Also, (as i implied more or less) the majority of those sites force
>>> one thru hoops and no driver is actually available - unless (maybe??)
>>> one is able to pass the multi-megabyte hoop jumping they force you into.
>>>
>>> Interesting about XP..will try XP Pro (OEM) just for grins.
>>> Concerning printers now available for "cheap", i bet that none of them
>>> have cheap cartridges and that most of them cost less than the ink
>>> cartridge(s) - meaning constant replacement of printers....not ceap in
>>> long run!
>>> If you know of an exception i would be VERY interested.

>> You should stop wasting your time. That old printer is not supported.
>> There are no viable drivers that you seem to be willing to pursue. That
>> is, the things you are willing to do will not produce a driver for you,
>> and the things that might (but I have serious doubts about) give you a
>> driver, you will not do so it does not matter if they work or not.
>>
>> Buy yourself a new printer for well under a hundred bucks. You'll be glad
>> you did.
>>

> 1):
> The WinXP OEM disk had Canon drivers for XP _and_ Win2000.
> That theoretically gave me an "independent" and second source.
> Same crap result ("striped").

Just because the XP disk has a driver does not mean the driver will work
when you get to SP3.

> 2):
> The things that "might" give me a driver have been tried; i wasted 8
> hours; the longwinded "driver" download _plus_ "scan" fails to complete.
> And there is NO reason to do a "scan" of all possible devices (might
> include the cassette port that the original PC/XT had, mag tape drives,
> magnetic drums, etc) - most especially when all i asked for was a driver
> for a simple minded printer.
> 3):
> The cartridges cost MORE than the printer so if i bought a "new" cheap
> one i would have to continually replace it when the ink runs out.
> Stupid and very wasteful of our resources.

Alright, spend a little more and get a laser printer that prints black, and
push pages out for about a penny each.

You came here screaming and yelling about your dinosaur not working.

It doesn't work because you can't find a printer without a 3-day download on
your dial-up connection. I have FiOS, so I did a quick search in a minute or
two that would take you most of the afternoon and told you there are no
printer drivers for that box. Now you argue the response because it isn't
the one you wanted to hear.

Jeff Strickland

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
>>> 1):
>>> The WinXP OEM disk had Canon drivers for XP _and_ Win2000.
>>> That theoretically gave me an "independent" and second source.
>>> Same crap result ("striped").

>> Just because the XP disk has a driver does not mean the driver will work
>> when you get to SP3.

> * Did NOT say i was using XP; i think i listed the OSes i run: PCDOS,
> Win98SE and Win2K.
> Think i said that the XP disk was useful in having drivers for XP and
> Win2K.
> The bad news is that the drivers gave the same striped result.

Yes, I would not expect an XP printer driver to work in W2K. It could work,
but you should consider yourself lucky that it works, not expect it to work.

ARE YOU CERTAIN that you can plug that printer into W98 and NOT get the
bands? Have you moved the printer to the W98 device since you have been
complaining about it here? If it works in Win98, then that is where it must
remain unless you can locate a driver on a disc laying in the bottom of a
drawer somewhere. There are no drivers anywhere for that old operating
system -- either of them -- or that printer.

I once worked as a printer/copier/fax technician, and my experience is that
the bands are caused by the hardware, not software. The wrong driver should
cause the printer to not respond to print commands or to print control
characters. When a printer prints bands, then there is usually a grounding
issue, especially if it is a laser-based device. I have no idea what sort of
engine your printer uses, but banding is _usually_ a result of a hardware
deficiency.

MECHANICAL ISSUES
If the bands are verticle on the page -- as viewed from the direction of
travel of the paper -- then the developing section is clogged. The developer
brush on the laser printer has gaps in it, which means it must be replaced.
If you have an ink-based printer, then the cable to the head is broken,
causing the head to stop blowing ink. This would result in vertical bands
because the printing would stop at various places as it travelled across the
page.

The laser can also be turning off and on, causing bands. It is unlikely this
is the problem because a laser would fail in a random fashion relative to
the paper travel. It is unlikely that the laser would turn off for a
sentence or two, then turn on again to produce a horizontal band, or to turn
off and on as it goes across the page, which would produce a vertical band.
A laser error would most likely result in blank spaces scattered randomly
around the page.

If the bands are horizontal to the page, then you have a paper
feed/transport problem.

SOFTWARE (DRIVER) ISSUES
I am at a loss to say what the software can do to cause bands in any
direction. There are no software related issues that I can imagine that
would cause a printer to intermittently produce an output in either
direction of the image formation process.

A SHORT LESSON IN IMAGE FORMATION
The paper movement causes the image to be formed from the top to the bottom
of the page. Variations in paper movement will result in bands that run from
left to right as the page is viewed (and assumes the paper travels in the
Portrait direction -- the 8.5-inch edge is the leading edge). If the paper
stops moving, then the image will be printed on top of previously formed
image. If the paper is pushed ahead, then there will be a blank space. This
is true whether the image is formed by toner or ink.

INK BASED
A print head moves back and forth and prints in both directions. Consider a
simple analogy that a single dot is printed per sweep of the head. In one
direction, the head prints dots #1, 2, 3, 4, ... 1001, 1002, 1003, to the
end. When the print head gets to the end it reverses direction and prints
1003, 1002, 1001, ... 3, 2, 1, reverses direction and starts again with 1,
2, 3 ... (it is actually a bit more complex, but the end result is the same.
If the ink has different colors, then the complexity increases, but the
simple process is the same. There is a cable that is flexxed as the head
travels left and right. A break in the cable can cause the print head to
turn off and on, making verticle bands where there is no image in some
portions of the page.

LASER BASED
A laser blinks on and off as it is directed at a spinning mirror. The laser
does not move. The paper moves on one axis and the print is formed on the
other. There is no reason for this system to blink. You could loose a couple
of faces on the mirror, but this should create a random problem with image
formation. Consider the mirror to have flat faces that resemble the face of
a diamond. A single flat surface is directed at the drum where the image is
formed before being transferred to the paper. The mirror is mounted on a
motor, and a laser beam is directed onto it. As the laser beam is switched
on and off, the mirror face is sweeping the surface of the drum.

A horizontal band would indicate that the laser is turning off for extended
periods, then turning back on. If the drum was rotating while the laser was
switched off, an blank area in the image would result. This could result
from adjacent mirrors falling off. A single mirror would result in a single
line of pixels not being formed, but several mirrors would cause multiple
lines of pixels to not form, and you would observe this as a band of blank
image. If the laser was blinking off and on during the sweep, then random
places of blank image would resuilt.

Since the image is formed on the drum and then developed, you can have bands
caused by defects in the drum or in the developer station. The drum would
cause horizontal bands that repeat in size and shape throughout the job, but
not always in the same place on the page. Consider that a page might wrap
3.5 times around the drum. A defect on the drum would appear 7 times over
two pages, and obviously would not always be in the same place, but would
always be at the same interval. A problem with the developer station would
give vertical bands because a section of the material that forms the
developer would not form. The result of this would be that there would be a
portion from top to bottom of the page that is printed, then a portion that
is not printed, then a portion that is, then not, and so on across the page.
You could remove the developer station and possibly observe the mal-formed
sections of the developer brush, but common manufacturing techniques to not
allow end-users to do this. The development brush is formed magnetic filings
arranged along an aluminum tube that is rotating and has magnets precisely
assembled inside. The poles of the magnets cause the magnetic filings open
at the precise location of where the drum contacts, and the toner that is
carried by the filings will move from the developer station to the drum.
There is a wiper blade inside the developer station to cause the filings to
be a precise depth, typically less than one millimeter. If this gap is
clogged, the result is that the filings will not form properly and a blank
image will be formed the length of the paper travel. This blank image will
occur in the same place on all pages, and the only corrective action for an
end-user is to replace the toner cartridge (development station).

If there is an issue with the drive section of the machine -- gears, belts,
motors, and so on -- then the image formation will be jerky or the paper
transport will be jerky or a combination of the two.

Kele

Hey Robert; you're the guy on the Progressive Insurance commercial, aren't
you?

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
Besides all of that seemingly useless fiddle-faddle.......
The BJC4100 *WORKS* properly now!
((this is in Win2K))