Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > spa 3210

spa 3210

andrew

Ever since I changed over to a talktalk broadband service, with them
controlling the local loop, my spa3210 will pick up incoming clid but if
the call number is not present it leaves the field blank. Previously with
BT it presented unavailable, international, witheld or payphone (IIRC) if
no number was presented. As the dect phone plugged into the main socket
will display unavailable or witheld at least what needs changing in the ata
set up to present the text?

AJH

Brian A

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:16:14 +0000, andrew wrote:

> Ever since I changed over to a talktalk broadband service, with them
> controlling the local loop, my spa3210 will pick up incoming clid but if
> the call number is not present it leaves the field blank. Previously
> with BT it presented unavailable, international, witheld or payphone
> (IIRC) if no number was presented. As the dect phone plugged into the
> main socket will display unavailable or witheld at least what needs
> changing in the ata set up to present the text?
>
> AJH

Not heard of an SPA-3210 - do you mean mean SPA-3102 ?

--
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

andrew

Brian A wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:16:14 +0000, andrew wrote:
>
>> Ever since I changed over to a talktalk broadband service, with them
>> controlling the local loop, my spa3210 will pick up incoming clid but if
>> the call number is not present it leaves the field blank. Previously
>> with BT it presented unavailable, international, witheld or payphone
>> (IIRC) if no number was presented. As the dect phone plugged into the
>> main socket will display unavailable or witheld at least what needs
>> changing in the ata set up to present the text?
>>
>> AJH

> Not heard of an SPA-3210 - do you mean mean SPA-3102 ?

Yes, my typo.

I've been fiddling with the settings on the web interface. It's not clear to
me what settings relate to the passing of clid forward rather than picking
data from the incoming call.

AJH

Steve Hayes

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 20:30:18 +0000, andrew wrote:

> Brian A wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:16:14 +0000, andrew wrote:
>>
>>> Ever since I changed over to a talktalk broadband service, with them
>>> controlling the local loop, my spa3210 will pick up incoming clid but
>>> if the call number is not present it leaves the field blank.
>>> Previously with BT it presented unavailable, international, witheld or
>>> payphone (IIRC) if no number was presented. As the dect phone plugged
>>> into the main socket will display unavailable or witheld at least what
>>> needs changing in the ata set up to present the text?
>>>
>>> AJH

>> Not heard of an SPA-3210 - do you mean mean SPA-3102 ?
>>

> Yes, my typo.
>
> I've been fiddling with the settings on the web interface. It's not
> clear to me what settings relate to the passing of clid forward rather
> than picking data from the incoming call.
>
> AJH

As I understand it, all those settings just control the clid format sent
via the FXS port to the connected phone (tests I've done are consistent
with this). The SPA3102 can recognise pretty well any format of clid
coming in on the FXO port, regardless of its configurations settings.

There is the problem I've reported here before where the SPA3102 may not
get any clid from some non-BT providers unless another device (e.g. a
phone) that receives caller display is also connected to the incoming
line. Doesn't sound like that's the problem here since it does receive
clid for some calls.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address

andrew

Steve Hayes wrote:

> As I understand it, all those settings just control the clid format sent
> via the FXS port to the connected phone (tests I've done are consistent
> with this). The SPA3102 can recognise pretty well any format of clid
> coming in on the FXO port, regardless of its configurations settings.

This is what I was beginning to suspect, I'd better stop fiddling.

> There is the problem I've reported here before where the SPA3102 may not
> get any clid from some non-BT providers unless another device (e.g. a
> phone) that receives caller display is also connected to the incoming
> line. Doesn't sound like that's the problem here since it does receive
> clid for some calls.

Yes, the number is recorded, just not the text for withheld etc.

I have a BT studio dect in parallel and this picks up numbers and at
least "unavailable" and "witheld" so it can discriminate the text and it,
or a token for it, is being sent. The ata just presents a null field if no
clid number is present.

Both devices are plugged in via adsl filters.

As my calls mostly are within my talktalk bundle I only use the ata web
interface to check incoming calls but not being able to discriminate
witheld from "international" is a problem.

AJH

Steve Hayes

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 21:01:49 +0000, andrew wrote:

> Steve Hayes wrote:
>

>> As I understand it, all those settings just control the clid format
>> sent via the FXS port to the connected phone (tests I've done are
>> consistent with this). The SPA3102 can recognise pretty well any format
>> of clid coming in on the FXO port, regardless of its configurations
>> settings.

> This is what I was beginning to suspect, I'd better stop fiddling.
>>
>> There is the problem I've reported here before where the SPA3102 may
>> not get any clid from some non-BT providers unless another device (e.g.
>> a phone) that receives caller display is also connected to the incoming
>> line. Doesn't sound like that's the problem here since it does receive
>> clid for some calls.
>>

> Yes, the number is recorded, just not the text for withheld etc.
>
> I have a BT studio dect in parallel and this picks up numbers and at
> least "unavailable" and "witheld" so it can discriminate the text and
> it, or a token for it, is being sent. The ata just presents a null field
> if no clid number is present.
>

> Both devices are plugged in via adsl filters.
>
> As my calls mostly are within my talktalk bundle I only use the ata web
> interface to check incoming calls but not being able to discriminate
> witheld from "international" is a problem.
>
> AJH

Just remembered all the oddnesses associated with name versus number CLID.

The CLID from the exchange includes the number if it's present but can
potentially also include a name. BT never send a name but I don't know
how they send various messages such as "Witheld" (is this a flag that the
phone interprets or is the word itself sent in the name field?).

Phones vary - some show both the name (if present) and the number but
others show the name only if it is present.

Just to confuse things more, the SPA3102 seems to put the number itself
into the name field when that is blank (this causes problems if the phone
only shows the name and only the first 8 characters of that).
It creates a "Private" message when it doesn't receive any clid at all.
Maybe it does other translations too, probably just as unwisely.

Of course calls coming in via VOIP are a different matter again depending
on your provider while those made on a peer-to-peer basis (bypassing the
provider) depend on the settings of the originator's system. These can
show the name that they have set.

As for talktalk, it sounds like they are doing something different again.
Maybe they're sending a name field containing spaces when they can't show
the number.

All in all, it's a mess. I haven't seen the problem of nothing being
displayed at all but the various "Private", "International", "Witheld"
and "Out of area" displays I see don't seem to have much consistency to
them.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address

Roger Burton West

Steve Hayes wrote:

>The CLID from the exchange includes the number if it's present but can
>potentially also include a name. BT never send a name but I don't know
>how they send various messages such as "Witheld" (is this a flag that the
>phone interprets or is the word itself sent in the name field?).

On my BT line, Asterisk driving an A400p sees:

Domestic CLID: name field is null, number field holds the number.
Withheld: both fields are null.
International: name field is "INTERNATIONAL", number field is null.

Steve Hayes

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:17:36 +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:

> On my BT line, Asterisk driving an A400p sees:
>
> Domestic CLID: name field is null, number field holds the number.
> Withheld: both fields are null.
> International: name field is "INTERNATIONAL", number field is null.

Interesting and maybe useful to know. Thanks.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address