Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > c++ guis

Reply
Thread Tools

c++ guis

 
 
Robin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
anyone know where I can get new c++ gui libs....

it would be a good idea to design some.

-r
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Öö Tiib
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
On Dec 30, 1:16*pm, Robin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> anyone know where I can get new c++ gui libs....
>
> it would be a good idea to design some.


C++ language does not have GUI libs. GUI libs are often platform
specific, so you have to tell your platform when making such request.

There are some GUI frameworks that work on lot of platforms. For
example one highly popular cross-plaform GUI framework is QT. See
http://qt.nokia.com/ for more information. It is quite large framework
so it may take you months to find out if you like it or not.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dombo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
Op 30-Dec-10 12:35, Öö Tiib schreef:
> On Dec 30, 1:16 pm, Robin<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> anyone know where I can get new c++ gui libs....
>>
>> it would be a good idea to design some.

>
> C++ language does not have GUI libs. GUI libs are often platform
> specific, so you have to tell your platform when making such request.
>
> There are some GUI frameworks that work on lot of platforms. For
> example one highly popular cross-plaform GUI framework is QT. See
> http://qt.nokia.com/ for more information. It is quite large framework
> so it may take you months to find out if you like it or not.



Other examples are:
wxWidgets: http://www.wxwidgets.org/
FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
GTK+: http://www.gtk.org/
FOX Toolkit: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/
MFC: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.80%29.aspx

In other words: there is no need to design yet another C++ GUI
toolkit/library yourself.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Felix Bytow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
Am 30.12.2010 12:52, schrieb Dombo:
> Other examples are:
> wxWidgets: http://www.wxwidgets.org/
> FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
> GTK+: http://www.gtk.org/
> FOX Toolkit: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/
> MFC: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.80%29.aspx


ofcourse MFC is not cross-platform so I would not suggest this library.
also it is Microsoft specific and usable oonly with a bought Microsoft
Visual Studio.
The Express Version of Microsoft Visual C++ does not include MFC.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dombo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
Op 30-Dec-10 13:37, Felix Bytow schreef:
> Am 30.12.2010 12:52, schrieb Dombo:
>> Other examples are:
>> wxWidgets: http://www.wxwidgets.org/
>> FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
>> GTK+: http://www.gtk.org/
>> FOX Toolkit: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/
>> MFC: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.80%29.aspx

>
> ofcourse MFC is not cross-platform so I would not suggest this library.
> also it is Microsoft specific and usable oonly with a bought Microsoft
> Visual Studio.
> The Express Version of Microsoft Visual C++ does not include MFC.


The OP did not state that he required a cross-platform solution nor
which development environment he is using. In organisations that develop
for the Windows platform typically use (a non-Express edition of)
Microsoft Visual Studio.

That being said there was reason why I put MFC at the bottom of the
list; besides the issues you mentioned there are other reasons why MFC
wouldn't be my first choice. Unfortunately I know of no C++ GUI
library/toolkit which I would recommend without reservations.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Balog Pal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
"Cholo Lennon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Take a look to:
>
> http://www.free-soft.org/guitool/
>
> The site has a complete list of gui libraries


Fine list, though after it marks gtk as 'good' I wouldn't take
qualifications seriously.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith H Duggar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
On Dec 30, 8:12*am, Dombo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Op 30-Dec-10 13:37, Felix Bytow schreef:
> > Am 30.12.2010 12:52, schrieb Dombo:
> >> Other examples are:
> >> wxWidgets:http://www.wxwidgets.org/
> >> FLTK:http://www.fltk.org/
> >> GTK+:http://www.gtk.org/
> >> FOX Toolkit:http://www.fox-toolkit.org/
> >> MFC:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.80%29.aspx

>
> > ofcourse MFC is not cross-platform so I would not suggest this library.
> > also it is Microsoft specific and usable oonly with a bought Microsoft
> > Visual Studio.
> > The Express Version of Microsoft Visual C++ does not include MFC.

>
> The OP did not state that he required a cross-platform solution nor
> which development environment he is using. In organisations that develop
> for the Windows platform typically use (a non-Express edition of)
> Microsoft Visual Studio.
>
> That being said there was reason why I put MFC at the bottom of the
> list; besides the issues you mentioned there are other reasons why MFC
> wouldn't be my first choice. Unfortunately I know of no C++ GUI
> library/toolkit which I would recommend without reservations.


What are your specific reservations with Qt?

Thanks!

KHD

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

Christian Hackl <(E-Mail Removed)> spake the secret code
<ifhv3e$hke$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org> thusly:

>wxWidgets certainly has its share of problems, but in the end it's just
>good enough, and that's all you can ask of a GUI library.


I've used wxWidgets and Qt. I prefer wxWidgets.
--
"The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 draft available for download
<http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com/the-direct3d-graphics-pipeline/>

Legalize Adulthood! <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

Keith H Duggar <(E-Mail Removed)> spake the secret code
<(E-Mail Removed)> thusly:

>What are your specific reservations with Qt?


I've worked on a very large application which used Qt extensively.

From a look-and-feel perspective, my reservations with Qt are that it
doesn't use anything from the platform and reinvents all look and feel
itself. That means that on all platforms its just slightly wrong.
Now that I know this about Qt, I can typically spot a Qt application
just by looking at it. They talk about how you can run a Qt
application with a command-line argument to get a Mac look and feel on
Windows. They talk about this as if it were a feature, but seriously
if you're on Windows you want things to look like Windows, not like a
Mac and vice-versa. This is more of a side-effect of them
reimplementing/immitating the look and feel of the platforms they
support, not a feature.

Because Qt reimplements everything itself, including event
dispatching, widgets, rendering, etc., it is a very large and complex
code base. Amazgingly, it ships with zero unit tests and there isn't
any indication that they have a suite of unit tests that they use
internally, so that implies that everything is hand tested when new
releases come out. This explains why major new releases are full of
problems when they come out.

Looking through the code base, I'm rather horrified. I've seen a
tendency to use reinterpret_cast<> to just "jam it in" all throughout
their code. If we had a program that could enumerate all the
instances of undefined behavior in a C++ source application, I'm
willing to bet there would be hundreds if not thousands of instances
throughout the Qt code base.

The documentation can also get a bit sketchy. Since they reimplement
all UI behavior themselves, you can't rely on the platform's UI
behavior documentation. Documentation and books on Qt will tell you
that two ways of doing things are equivalent and from the implied
semantics of the methods, you'd draw that conclusion as well.
However, in reality they are not equivalent and one will work and the
other won't. There's no way to know which will work and which won't
work without finding out the hard way.

Their widget layout system is complex and featureful. This may seem
like a good thing, but in practice it means that you have to tread
carefully when doing complex layouts of widgets. Two seemingly
equivalent layotu incantations produce different results, so there is
a lot of iterating through layout incantations in order to find the
proper one.

Some people don't like the moc preprocessor thing and while that
never particularly bothered me, it does have some implementation
downsides. The names of signals and slots are just turned into
strings, so there isn't any static type checking on them. You can
easily have a bug because you have a typo in a signal name or a slot
name and you won't find out until you test things manually.

Their unit test frame work that they introduced in Qt4 sucks ass.

I could probably come up with some more things if I thought about it
more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head since I last
worked on this application about a year ago.
--
"The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 draft available for download
<http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com/the-direct3d-graphics-pipeline/>

Legalize Adulthood! <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2010
[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

Dombo <(E-Mail Removed)> spake the secret code
<4d1c7281$0$30705$(E-Mail Removed)> thusly:

>Other examples are:
>wxWidgets: http://www.wxwidgets.org/
>FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
>GTK+: http://www.gtk.org/
>FOX Toolkit: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/
>MFC: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.80%29.aspx


WTL is a free, open source alternative for Windows platforms.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTL> Unfortunately it depends on ATL
for some things, and I don't think ATL is available for use with the
Express editions of Visual Studio.

Still, WTL is a nice C++ style library for accessing the underlying
Win32 API stuff and using the controls that exist. It allows you to
create very small GUI applications, just like ATL allows you to create
very small COM objects. It has its strengths and its weaknesses and
its not for everyone, but for those of you that like things small and
efficient, I'd recommend looking at it.
--
"The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 draft available for download
<http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com/the-direct3d-graphics-pipeline/>

Legalize Adulthood! <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a scripting tool to build GUIs? Sn0tters@yahoo.co.uk Java 2 07-19-2005 07:56 PM
Testing Swing GUIs Berlin Brown Java 4 07-19-2005 02:49 PM
Can Java do fancy GUIs? Ramon F Herrera Java 56 04-22-2005 11:21 PM
making guis with CreateDialog Stewart C++ 1 09-16-2004 09:07 AM
GUIs and Compilers.. <help> V e X y N C Programming 2 08-22-2003 07:33 AM



Advertisments