Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > beginner's questions 2

beginner's questions 2

Scott Needham

Folk:

Thanks to all who replied to the first step query. I'd like to
continue by pursuing the issue raised by Jack.

First: I'm not really a newbie except with regard to networks. We're
finally upgrading from Win98 b/c the kids 'need' XP and its newer
hardware capabilities and faster downloads etc--'til now I saw no
reason to change, b/c I understood Win98 and my installation was rock
solid. That said:

I gather that the inet security suites all have flaws.

I gather that everyone thinks that ZoneAlarm Pro is the best firewall,
but that it has compatibility problems with various anti-virus
software.

So:

Which of the very good av apps works with ZAPro? How would folks on
this list build their network security blanket ? (This will be Comcast
cable, btw.)

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA

TW

I have never heard of any incompatibilities between a software firewall and
AV software, since all a software firewall really does is block or close IP
ports and a good firewall will also monitor any program trying to access a
port and report that activity. By allowing a program such as your AV
software to access the 'net in the firewall program, you are effectively
opening the ports used by that program and allowing access, but only for the
specific program.

I also have been using Zonealarm(free version) for many years and also
norton AV. No problems.

There is really no need IMO to buy ZA pro since they offer a free software
product that is very easy to configure, contrary to many posts here(and
elsewhere) that ZA is a bad product. ZA(free) not only stops incoming
packets from the 'net, but also OUTGOING packets sent from your computer,
from spyware and viruses, and alerts you to the outgoing threats . I haven't
seen any other products that offer this outgoing protection.

The Windows firewall that comes with SP2 for XP IMO is still in Beta and NOT
a very good software firewall yet.

If you have a home network like me, you need to configure a "trusted zone"
by either entering specific IP addresses or by entering a subnet. This must
be done using ANY firewall.

Hope that helps
TW

"Scott Needham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folk:
>
> Thanks to all who replied to the first step query. I'd like to
> continue by pursuing the issue raised by Jack.
>
> First: I'm not really a newbie except with regard to networks. We're
> finally upgrading from Win98 b/c the kids 'need' XP and its newer
> hardware capabilities and faster downloads etc--'til now I saw no
> reason to change, b/c I understood Win98 and my installation was rock
> solid. That said:
>
> I gather that the inet security suites all have flaws.
>
> I gather that everyone thinks that ZoneAlarm Pro is the best firewall,
> but that it has compatibility problems with various anti-virus
> software.
>
> So:
>
> Which of the very good av apps works with ZAPro? How would folks on
> this list build their network security blanket ? (This will be Comcast
> cable, btw.)
>
> Regards and Happy Trails,
>
> Scott Needham
> Boulder, Colorado, USA

Dene Charlesworth

Scott Needham wrote:
> Folk:
>
> Thanks to all who replied to the first step query. I'd like to
> continue by pursuing the issue raised by Jack.
>
> First: I'm not really a newbie except with regard to networks. We're
> finally upgrading from Win98 b/c the kids 'need' XP and its newer
> hardware capabilities and faster downloads etc--'til now I saw no
> reason to change, b/c I understood Win98 and my installation was rock
> solid. That said:
>
> I gather that the inet security suites all have flaws.
>
> I gather that everyone thinks that ZoneAlarm Pro is the best firewall,
> but that it has compatibility problems with various anti-virus
> software.
>
> So:
>
> Which of the very good av apps works with ZAPro? How would folks on
> this list build their network security blanket ? (This will be Comcast
> cable, btw.)
>
> Regards and Happy Trails,
>
> Scott Needham
> Boulder, Colorado, USA

I use Sygate Personal Firewall which is free from
http://smb.sygate.com/download/download.php?pid=spf

I combine this with Nod32 antivirus which is free to try but costs about
90 dollars/2 years for updates. Updates happen at least once per day.
I have never had any compatibility problems & have never been attacked
successfully.
I reccomend this combination along with Firefox instead of Internet
Explorer for web browsing & Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express for
email & news. Both Firefox & Thunderbird are free.

Mike Fields

I realize this is a bit late, but Comcast (at least in our area -
Seattle) is now apparently offering McAfee free to their
users (I have f-prot on my machines). Check out the
Comcast site for more information.

mikey