Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > spitting internet connection in flatshare

spitting internet connection in flatshare

M.L.

>>We are in four in our house: a couple living on the ground floor, my next
>>door flatmate and myself living upstairs.

>>Recently they all come to me saying: why don't we share the internet
>>coonection?

>Tell them to get their own internet connection.
>
>You do realize that since the connection is in YOUR name, if they say
>hack into the White House, download a ton of movies, then upload all
>the mp3's and illegal movies all over the place, guess who the police
>/ Secret Service are going to come after. Yep, you.
>
>Good luck proving to them it was your roomate / neighbor.

That's a highly unlikely scenario not worth worrying about. Besides,
the law will confiscate all their computers, making it easy to find
the culprit.

PeeCee

On 30/12/2010 5:56 a.m., mole wrote:
> We are in four in our house: a couple living on the ground floor, my next
> door flatmate and myself living upstairs.
> I signed a contract with a phone company and I am happy to pay for 10 Mbps I
> receive.
> Recently they all come to me saying: why don't we share the internet
> coonection?
> Ok, I say, 5 pounds each for a total of 20 pounds. After all, everybody will
> use the internet. Seemed fair. But no...
>
> The couple, overexcited, say: NOOO, we want to split it by 3. Three rooms in
> the house, three lines, 7 pounds each. We pay for the "line" you are giving
> us and can use it as much as we want.
> The guy next door goes: NOOO, we need a meter.........pay as you go!!!
>
> To me that is pure bullshit and don't want to do it. This is what I think.
> Suppose we do the split by 3. Roughly, each room would get, theoretically, 3
> Mbps.
> The couple downstair will suck more bandwith throughout the day because they
> are in two, I will therefore experience a poorer quality of service for a
> longer time and my 3 Mbps become a lot less overall.
> They said that even if they shared the room with 10 people, they would still
> only pay for their "line".
>
> The metering option would be better but at that time I thought I would still
> get such a recuced quality on MY line that I would be better off not sharing
> at all.
>

> I told them that both options are crap and there is only one way. The way I
> want.
> Essentially, we split the line by 3 and the speed is capped @ 3 Mbps per
> line (per room) using a router capable of doing that. Only then everyone is
> free to do what they want with their line. They can ask the whole street to
> use their internet.
>
> I see no other fair alternative but they keep saying I am wrong and cannot
> "see" their point. So I am the asshole.
>
> I posted here 'cause they really **** me off and would like your opinions or
> suggestions. I decided to share, so not sharing is not an option.
>
> Thanks and sorry for the long message

Mole

Despite saying you want to share, in real life sharing like this is
'impractical' to many if's but's and maybe's.

Sure you can talk about agreements, equal data rates, data caps etc ad
infinitum, but at the end of the day the other residents are just trying
to leech of 'your' broadband connection on the cheap.

Just ask them how they would divide up a bag of 12 apples and how many
each room/person would get.
I'll bet you the couple would only want to pay 1 third (a third of the
Bags cost) but get half the apples (3 each person)
And I'll bet the single tennant want's to pay 1 twelfth per apple but
have the right to work his way through all 12 apples in any month he
wanted them and pay nothing on months he didn't eat any.

ie totally confilicting objectives.

I earnestly recommend you just walk away from it and tell them to get
their own broadband.

Best
Paul.

M.L.

>>That's a highly unlikely scenario not worth worrying about.

>Why do you say that? When I worked at an ISP,

Fortunately most of us don't work for an ISP so your anecdote won't be
a concern.

> we had dozens of times
>we'd get served from a PD or Federal agency demanding documentation on
>who had certain IP addresses, along with a description of the charges
>against them. Sometimes it was a company, sometimes it was a
>residential homeowner, sometimes it was a hotspot (McDonalds, etc)
>sometimes it was a apartment complex, sometimes it was a hotel.
>
>>Besides, the law will confiscate all their computers, making it easy to find
>>the culprit.

>Good point. That makes it all better.
>
>So, because your neighbor who shares your interenet connection sent
>kiddy porn, ALL your computers in the house get confiscated. And it's
>going to be a few months before you see them again - if you're lucky.
>
>And you may even see them pay a visit to you at work.
>
>True story - I show up to work one day (when I was working at a non
>ISP), and see a number of vans in the parking lot - as well as people
>with tactical armored vests and guns. I go upstairs, and there's about
>4 officers on one of the computers in the office. The coworker who's
>desk they were at was absent.
>
>So after an hour or so, they took the computer and left.
>
>Coworker comes in the next day. Basically because of something someone
>else put on his computer, his house was raided (and EVERY computer in
>the house confiscated), and at the same time, our work was 'raided'.
>
>He was found innocent, computers were eventually returned.

Just as I expected.

>But really, do you want that happening at your place of employment?

Won't happen often enough to make it a concern.

M.L.

>> >You do realize that since the connection is in YOUR name, if they

>say
>> >hack into the White House, download a ton of movies, then upload

>all
>> >the mp3's and illegal movies all over the place, guess who the

>police
>> >/ Secret Service are going to come after. Yep, you.
>> >
>> >Good luck proving to them it was your roomate / neighbor.

>> That's a highly unlikely scenario not worth worrying about. Besides,

><http://mobile.cio.com/device/article...o.com/article/
>648963/Man_Used_Neighbor_s_Wi_Fi_to_Threaten_Vice_Preside nt_Biden>

<quote>
A Blaine, Minnesota, man has pleaded guilty to charges that he hacked
into his neighbor's Wi-Fi connection to e-mail death threats and child
pornography, apparently with the intention of causing trouble for the
unsuspecting neighbor.
</quote>

You redacted the part of my post where I concluded that the law would
eventually sort everything out and the appropriate party would be
caught. And your link shows that's just what happened.

Fortunately such extreme revenge episodes are rare enough not to be a
serious concern for most. Your article was more of a cautionary tale
warning the wireless to harden their systems against the unknown, not
against sharing wireless altogether.

M.L.

>they
>> >say

>upload
>> >all
>> >police

>Besides,
>> >

>><http://mobile.cio.com/device/article...io.com/article

>/
>> >648963/Man_Used_Neighbor_s_Wi_Fi_to_Threaten_Vice_Preside nt_Biden>

>> <quote>
>> A Blaine, Minnesota, man has pleaded guilty to charges that he

>hacked
>> into his neighbor's Wi-Fi connection to e-mail death threats and

>child
>> pornography, apparently with the intention of causing trouble for

>the
>> unsuspecting neighbor.
>> </quote>

>> You redacted the part of my post where I concluded that the law

>would
>> eventually sort everything out and the appropriate party would be
>> caught. And your link shows that's just what happened.

>> Fortunately such extreme revenge episodes are rare enough not to be

>> serious concern for most. Your article was more of a cautionary tale
>> warning the wireless to harden their systems against the unknown,

>not
>> against sharing wireless altogether.

>It doesn't matter if it's wireless or not. That's not the point of my
>post. The point is this. Why leave the door open and let the wrong
>dogs come home?

The point of submitting your link was to neutralize my dismissal of
the likelihood of friendly neighbors using their shared wireless
connection to commit extreme criminal acts against another.

M.L.

>>>He was found innocent, computers were eventually returned.

>>Just as I expected.

>Yeah, EVENTUALLY. I believe it took almost a year.
>

>>>But really, do you want that happening at your place of employment?

>>Won't happen often enough to make it a concern.

>But it CAN and does happen.

I don't believe it's prudent to run one's life informed by extreme
experiences.

NormanM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:14:58 -0700, richard wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:50:32 GMT, Aardvark wrote:

>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:20:35 -0700, richard wrote:

>>> Hey Evan, are you finally saying that it is now possible to have more
>>> than one person use the same IP?

>> Not that I noticed.

>>> Absolutely amazing. After how many
>>> times of you bashing me down and saying that ain't possible.

>> It isn't.

> Really? Explain this then.
> There is a motel that has 200 units.
> How many connections to a hard line does the motel have if all 200 guests
> are online with their wifi system?
> Assuming the motel has one hard line connected to an ISP.
> How many IP's does the ISP issue? 1 or 200?

One. To the router.

> Isn't this the purpose of the router? To redirect signals to the
> appropriate machine?

To do that it must assign IP addresses to those machines. 200 computers, 200
IP addresses; one per computer.

> You have 5 machines in your home all connected to a router.
> You have one line to the internet.
> Does your ISP issue 5 IP's or 1?

One. To the router. The router issues 5 IP addresses; one to each of the
connected computers.

> A web hosting service has an IP issued to them.
> How many domains can be on that one IP?

A multi-homed service isn't quite the same thing as a home router.

> I own/rent a server which has one IP assigned to it. Yet I have two domains
> on it. How is that possible?

A domain is not a computer. One computer, one IP address. You can point
multiple domains to the same single IP address, but that is not quite the
same thing as assigning an IP address to a computer.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

NormanM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:20:35 -0700, richard wrote:

> Ever hear of logging? With proper software, he can keep track of every
> little thing that passes through the router.

However, can he vet those logs? They are on his equipment, accessible by
him, and he can edit them, if he wishes. The fact that he has access, and
the capability to alter the logs, makes them useless for evidentiary
purposes. Especially because he has a vested interest in ensuring that the
logs support whatever claims he wishes to make.