Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Reading SQL Server varbinary (word, excel, pdf...) documents in browser

Reading SQL Server varbinary (word, excel, pdf...) documents in browser

desaitapan1 desaitapan1 is offline
Junior Member

Hi All,

I am working on .Net project where we are storing word, excel, pdf documents in SQL Server as varbinary. One of the user requirement is to search word in document and if found then it should display document in browser with highlighting matching words.

We already have Google Search Appliance which does nice job of returning matching results. We have two problems,

1) Google Search Appliance does not show document in browser as its stored in database and even if it will show then because document is in word or excel format, will ask users to download it instead of directly opening it.
2) As I cannot show users document in browser, there is no way to highlight matching words in document.

One of the suggestion was to convert this varbinary into html and then show in browser window as once itís converted in html I can play with html and highlight matching words. I am not sure how to convert word, excel, pdf documents into html without using third party tools and if I have to use third party tool then which tool is best.

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Tapan Desai