Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Finding location with Tom Tom XL

Finding location with Tom Tom XL

Matty F

I've been using a Tom Tom XL GPS to find the location of boundary
pegs. It seems to do that quite well, to within about a metre. That's
enough to chop the vegetation out of the way and maybe dig for the
boundary peg.

But quite often the Tom Tom decides to change my current location to
the middle of the street outside. Is there any way to stop it doing
this?

So far I have been able to feed the latitude and longitude that the XL
gives me of a large tree into Google Maps, and see that tree on
Google's satellite view.

Matty F

On Dec 29, 4:23 pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've been using a Tom Tom XL GPS to find the location of boundary
> pegs. It seems to do that quite well, to within about a metre. That's
> enough to chop the vegetation out of the way and maybe dig for the
> boundary peg.
>
> But quite often the Tom Tom decides to change my current location to
> the middle of the street outside. Is there any way to stop it doing
> this?
>
> So far I have been able to feed the latitude and longitude that the XL
> gives me of a large tree into Google Maps, and see that tree on
> Google's satellite view.

It occurs to me that "Pedestrian Mode" would achieve what I want.
However I don't think the XL has that option, or if it has, I can't
find it.

Dave Doe

In article <d403d1cc-05f2-4fc8-8629-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
Matty F says...

> On Dec 29, 4:23 pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I've been using a Tom Tom XL GPS to find the location of boundary
> > pegs. It seems to do that quite well, to within about a metre. That's
> > enough to chop the vegetation out of the way and maybe dig for the
> > boundary peg.
> >
> > But quite often the Tom Tom decides to change my current location to
> > the middle of the street outside. Is there any way to stop it doing
> > this?
> >
> > So far I have been able to feed the latitude and longitude that the XL
> > gives me of a large tree into Google Maps, and see that tree on
> > Google's satellite view.

> It occurs to me that "Pedestrian Mode" would achieve what I want.
> However I don't think the XL has that option, or if it has, I can't
> find it.

Most of the Tom Tom's I've seen are very simple devices with fairly
limited options. Does it really matter that the map "snaps" to the
street? - the lat/long location is still there, and isn't that all you
actually want?

--
Duncan.

Matty F

On Dec 29, 4:50 pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <d403d1cc-05f2-4fc8-8629-
> (E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> Matty F says...
>

> > On Dec 29, 4:23 pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I've been using a Tom Tom XL GPS to find the location of boundary
> > > pegs. It seems to do that quite well, to within about a metre. That's
> > > enough to chop the vegetation out of the way and maybe dig for the
> > > boundary peg.

> > > But quite often the Tom Tom decides to change my current location to
> > > the middle of the street outside. Is there any way to stop it doing
> > > this?

> > > So far I have been able to feed the latitude and longitude that the XL
> > > gives me of a large tree into Google Maps, and see that tree on
> > > Google's satellite view.

> > It occurs to me that "Pedestrian Mode" would achieve what I want.
> > However I don't think the XL has that option, or if it has, I can't
> > find it.

> Most of the Tom Tom's I've seen are very simple devices with fairly
> limited options. Does it really matter that the map "snaps" to the
> street? - the lat/long location is still there, and isn't that all you
> actually want?

But the Tom Tom shows the lat/long of the middle of the street, and
not of where I am standing some 30 metres away.

Dave Taylor

Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:28b296cd-1773-4a5a-81a8-
(E-Mail Removed):

> But the Tom Tom shows the lat/long of the middle of the street, and
> not of where I am standing some 30 metres away.

Using a device that is made for a car for an accurate GPS survey does not
sound like it is working. Can you load some kind of hacked tom tom OS on
it for more accuracy?

--
Ciao, Dave

Matty F

On Dec 29, 10:19 pm, Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:28b296cd-1773-4a5a-81a8-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> > But the Tom Tom shows the lat/long of the middle of the street, and
> > not of where I am standing some 30 metres away.

> Using a device that is made for a car for an accurate GPS survey does not
> sound like it is working. Can you load some kind of hacked tom tom OS on
> it for more accuracy?

But it is working most of the time. I am able to get accurate
locations of trees and see those trees on Google Maps. But at some
locations it keeps showing me the location of the middle of the
nearest road. A feature that I don't want.

Dave Taylor

Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:b34078fa-93ee-45bf-b8bc-
(E-Mail Removed):

> A feature that I don't want.

Using a car centric device to do what you want is not logical, hack it or
find something else.
The device is obviously awesome, it finds the road! I want one now

--
Ciao, Dave

Simon

On Dec 29, 10:41*pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But it is working most of the time. I am able to get accurate
> locations of trees and see those trees on Google Maps. But at some
> locations it keeps showing me the location of the middle of the
> nearest road. A feature that I don't want.

Is this related to the boundary dispute you mentioned earlier? If so
it sounds like it's progressed to the point where a surveyor needs to
be called in to verify the exact location of the boundary pegs.

Matty F

On Dec 30, 11:00 am, Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 29, 10:41 pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > But it is working most of the time. I am able to get accurate
> > locations of trees and see those trees on Google Maps. But at some
> > locations it keeps showing me the location of the middle of the
> > nearest road. A feature that I don't want.

> Is this related to the boundary dispute you mentioned earlier? If so
> it sounds like it's progressed to the point where a surveyor needs to
> be called in to verify the exact location of the boundary pegs.

The lost peg is not on my boundary but I am assisting my neighbours to
find it (because they are over 80 years old and are not good at
abseiling!). A surveyor is not needed to locate a boundary peg if it's
actually there. I've not found it yet, but the land is exceedingly
overgrown and very steep. Who's going to pay for the surveyor? Not me
that's for sure.

Simon

On Dec 30, 11:54*am, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The lost peg is not on my boundary but I am assisting my neighbours to
> find it (because they are over 80 years old and are not good at
> abseiling!). A surveyor is not needed to locate a boundary peg if it's
> actually there. I've not found it yet, but the land is exceedingly
> overgrown and very steep. Who's going to pay for the surveyor? Not me
> that's for sure.

Yes - if it's there. Also considering the amount of effort you're
obviously expending on this, personally I'd recommend to the
neighbours that if this is indeed becoming a big issue, then they
should foot the bill and hire one. Locating the survey peg won't take
the surveyor very long at all.