Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Saving Java Downloads

Reply
Thread Tools

Saving Java Downloads

 
 
Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2010
I have four computers on a domestic network.

Is there a way of saving a JRE update so that I don't have to use
up my cap by downloading it four times.

I'd like to download it once, and then distribute the file to
each of the other three computers and install it on each computer
separately.

Is this possible ? I've search the web but cannot find any help
with this question.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2010
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:

> Is there a way of saving a JRE update so that I don't have to use
> up my cap by downloading it four times.


Doesn’t your package manager have support for this
<http://packages.debian.org/sid/approx>?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2010
"Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have four computers on a domestic network.


Find yourself an old PC with perhaps a 40 gig HDD and 2 nics.

>
> Is there a way of saving a JRE update so that I don't have to use
> up my cap by downloading it four times.


Yes.

>
> I'd like to download it once, and then distribute the file to
> each of the other three computers and install it on each computer
> separately.
>
> Is this possible ? I've search the web but cannot find any help
> with this question.


Better than that, using IPCop with Update Accellerator will cache the
following:
http://update-accelerator.advproxy.net/

* Adobe
* Apple
* Avast
* Linux (.deb and .rpm)
* Microsoft
* Symantec
* Trend Micro




--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2010
TKs for both replies.

It is true I didn't read one screen properly or I would have seen the
option for manual downloads.

I'll investigate IPCop and Updat Accelerator shortly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2010
On 27/12/10 22:04, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
>
>> Is there a way of saving a JRE update so that I don't have to use
>> up my cap by downloading it four times.

>
> Doesn’t your package manager have support for this
> <http://packages.debian.org/sid/approx>?
>

1) Install new Linux OS.

2) Remove the crap Java package that comes with it, even if it is the
Sun one.

3) Download and install the Sun Java tarball.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2010
"Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> TKs for both replies.
>
> It is true I didn't read one screen properly or I would have seen the
> option for manual downloads.
>
> I'll investigate IPCop and Updat Accelerator shortly.
>


I think the overall bandwidth savings will pay off for you. I have
downloaded 5 gigs of Microsoft and shared out 8 Gigs of it. I have a
couple of friends who are on Dial come over to do updates, and then there
are 2 XP computers here.

--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saving Downloads To Desktop ? Robert11 Computer Support 3 08-16-2006 11:15 AM
EXCEL question saving a file saving the the first column as read only Luis Esteban Valencia ASP .Net 0 01-06-2005 07:02 PM
Saving DataTable to session vs saving a Custom object. John Kandell ASP .Net 4 12-10-2004 05:08 AM
Re: Saving downloads slumpy Computer Support 0 07-08-2003 06:01 AM
Re: Saving downloads les.watson Computer Support 0 07-07-2003 11:21 AM



Advertisments