Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Adapter to make a 2.5" HDD fit a 3.5" Caddy?

Adapter to make a 2.5" HDD fit a 3.5" Caddy?

Enkidu

On 28/12/10 20:15, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
>> On 26/12/2010 12:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>>

>>> Yeah, USB3 would do the job very well. The only problem with
>>> that scenario is that I'd have to replace all of my USB2 HDD
>>> docks, maybe fit a USB3 PCIe card into the heavy iron and I would
>>> definitely need to buy USB3 ExpressCards for the laptops (I'm not
>>> sure about bus-speed and possible limitations on those).
>>>
>>> For you, just looking to set something up, it would be great.
>>> However I already have the hardware in place so it would mean
>>> dumping it and starting again, something that's not possible as
>>> my sole yearly lotto ticket didn't win.
>>>
>>> I'll have to look more closely at the device EMB linked to, then
>>> check if the plastic has enough leeway on it.... I see in the
>>> user reviews that some people said that it runs HDDs very hot
>>> (but that, with SSDs high temperatures don't matter [?] ). It
>>> would be great to find a local supplier so that I could
>>> (possibly) eyeball the thing before buying but also return it if
>>> it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. Freight charges to the US kill that
>>> option.
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> I really like the idea of the wooden one.

> Heh! I thought about it for a while but I'm afraid that it would
> insulate the small HDD rather too well and cook it.
>
> I'm kicking myself for discarding a laptop motherboard a while ago
> which had the SATA connectors on it. I have a stuffed SATA HDD so, if
> I'd kept the mobo I'd have the set and would only need to link them
> together in a HDD-sized thing and I'd have just what I'm wanting.
>
> Oh well, I used to keep everything but recently, on being unable to
> turn around whilst in the spare room, decided to clear most of the
> junk out.
>
> I've discovered a new phenomena whereby if you have a thing you'll
> *never* need it. However, as soon as you get rid of said thing,
> within a matter of months you'll have a pressing need for one and
> have to purchase it (if it can even be sourced).
>
> I wonder if there's a 'law' that deals with this phenomena? If there
> isn't already do I get naming rights?<g>

It's a corollary to Murphy's Law of course.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Enkidu

On 29/12/10 00:54, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
>> On 28/12/2010 8:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> I've discovered a new phenomena whereby if you have a thing
>>> you'll *never* need it. However, as soon as you get rid of said
>>> thing, within a matter of months you'll have a pressing need for
>>> one and have to purchase it (if it can even be sourced).
>>>
>>> I wonder if there's a 'law' that deals with this phenomena? If
>>> there isn't already do I get naming rights?<g>

>> The law exists. IMHO it is called EMB's law and has bitten me on
>> the arse-parts every time I have cleaned out my workshop. However
>> the gentleman I did my apprenticeship for is claiming prior art (on
>> behalf of his late father) so I rather think we are both out of
>> luck for naming rights, and henceforth we shall refer to it as
>> "Bert's Law" in acknowledgement of the old bloke.

> Right then, Bert's Law it is. It's bitten me more than once and I'm
> getting it a lot about now, having had a big clean-out a while back.
> It's funny, I don't remember using much of the 'junk' when it was
> here but now I don't have it I need it.<shrug>

Bert's corollary to Murphy's Law, then?

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
> On 29/12/10 00:54, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:

>>> The law exists. IMHO it is called EMB's law and has bitten me on
>>> the arse-parts every time I have cleaned out my workshop. However
>>> the gentleman I did my apprenticeship for is claiming prior art (on
>>> behalf of his late father) so I rather think we are both out of
>>> luck for naming rights, and henceforth we shall refer to it as
>>> "Bert's Law" in acknowledgement of the old bloke.

>> Right then, Bert's Law it is. It's bitten me more than once and I'm
>> getting it a lot about now, having had a big clean-out a while back.
>> It's funny, I don't remember using much of the 'junk' when it was
>> here but now I don't have it I need it.<shrug>
>>

> Bert's corollary to Murphy's Law, then?

Too much of a mouthful (why does that sound familiar?). I'll stick with
'Bert's Law'.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
>> On 29/12/2010 1:00 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm, interesting, thanks. I see that it has a USB connection too so
>>> it can be used as an external enclosure. I wonder if it's in the
>>> SATA data-path. I don't see any customer feedback yet. Also, if I
>>> get one of those I'd have to fill the recess on the back of the unit
>>> as that's where my hot-swap bay's spring-loaded closing mechanism
>>> puts the pressure on the back of the HDD to lock it into the
>>> connectors. Cheers,

>> What recess? where the USB is?

> Nah, on what would be the back of a 3.5" HDD, next to where that
> white thing (LED block?) is that people are talking about in the
> questions section.
> The door of the bay has a spring loaded 'finger' that pushes on the
> back of the HDD when it's closed that supplies the pressure to push
> it into the SATA / power connectors and keep it there.

I've just ordered one of these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44960 (thanks EMB)

Hopefully it'll do what I want, allow SMART data to be read from the drive
(straight-through SATA) and keep the drive fairly cool. It doesn't show a
clear view of the back end but, from what I can tell, it doesn't look like
it's recessed like the other one.

It seems as if the 2.5" HDD is roughly in the middle of the enclosure
otherwise I'd look at putting a thin fan either above or below it to ensure
airflow. I'll check it out when it gets here.