Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Adapter to make a 2.5" HDD fit a 3.5" Caddy?

Adapter to make a 2.5" HDD fit a 3.5" Caddy?

~misfit~

Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas day?

I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a product that could be of
benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set up with four Welland hot-swappable
SATA HDD bays. These take a bare drive and, along with a small app (that I
think someone here put me onto) allow me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and
out.

The bay in question is a Welland ME-751J, Google images will show you what
it looks like and it's easy to work out how it works. For those who don't
want to Google here's a Portuguese page with images that are
self-explanatory:
http://www.noli.com.br/sistema/lista...-swap---me751j
(or http://tinyurl.com/2c3pud2 ).

I have the boot drive in the top bay, which is the only one I lock. I use
the others for copying files from one HDD to another at full SATA2 speed
rather than spending 4 or 5 hours waiting for it to happen using USB2. Yeah,
I know that I could likely use eSATA docks etcetera but I already have this
set up. It's a bloody great system IMO, I can't recommend it enough. So easy
to do backups and makes me glad that I'm a hoarder as I still have a few
(not enough, but still... ) of those Seagate 'Seashell' plastic containers
that they used to ship drives in, for storing drives in the drawer (or
off-site) that aren't currently in a bay.

However, I find that I'm doing a bit of copying / cloning using 2.5" laptop
HDDs these days and I guess I'm spoilt. Copying large amounts of data at
USB2 speeds is a right royal PITA.

So, I was wondering, as the SATA data and power cables are spaced the same
on laptop drives as they are on desktop drives, could I use a 'spacer' or
'blank' that would enable me to use laptop drives in these bays? While
Googling for a solution I see that it's possible to buy bays that are
designed for 2.5" drives but I don't have emough money these days to just go
out and buy gear. That said, if there was an adapter that does what I want
(that my white-belt Google-fu didn't find) that was inexpensive I'd consider
diverting some food money towards getting it.

I thought about trying to make one myself, or getting an engineering mate to
mill out a 3.5" HDD to accept a 2.5" drive. However it's not as easy as I
hoped that it might be at first and I'd rather not call in a favour of that
magnitude from my engineer friend if there's another, more elegant solution.
I'm thinking that heat might be an issue if I'm copying something like half
a terrabyte of data and hoping that, if there *is* a commercial product
available it'll address this issue. This is what stops me using a 3.5"
HDD-sized block of wood with a rebate that a 2.5" drive would fit into.

Can anyone help me? Much TIA if so and I'll speak to the Earth-mother on
your behalf so that 2011 should be a brilliant year for you.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Richard

On 25/12/2010 8:58 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas day?
>
> I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a product that could be of
> benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set up with four Welland hot-swappable
> SATA HDD bays. These take a bare drive and, along with a small app (that I
> think someone here put me onto) allow me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and
> out.

I have not seen one that will place the drive at the same place, only
ever seen the old style folded sheet things that place them in the
middle of a 3.5" bay.

I dont really know what sort of market would exist for them given that
most people doing that will be using an esata dock which will have the
flap with the cutout for a 2.5" drive.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> On 25/12/2010 8:58 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas
>> day? I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a product that
>> could be of benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set up with four
>> Welland hot-swappable SATA HDD bays. These take a bare drive and,
>> along with a small app (that I think someone here put me onto) allow
>> me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and out.

> I have not seen one that will place the drive at the same place, only
> ever seen the old style folded sheet things that place them in the
> middle of a 3.5" bay.
>
> I dont really know what sort of market would exist for them given that
> most people doing that will be using an esata dock which will have the
> flap with the cutout for a 2.5" drive.

Thanks for your reply Richard. Yeah, it's an odd one. However you can see
how such a device would be really useful to me yes? I have USB / eSATA docks
like you mention but this 'bay' system is so much more elegant IMO (some of
my machines don't have eSATA so it's just easier / faster to just pull the
HDD and image it on the heavy iron than it would be to do it via USB).

It'd be great to have an adapter that the laptop drive just clicks into. I
realise that there wouldn't be much room on the side as they both have the
connectors the same distance from the edge. However I do believe that it's
not only do-able but would be great. Welland make a 2 x 2.5" SATA 'bay' that
takes up the same amount of room in the desktop machine.

However I feel that I have all of the electro-mechanical equipment that I
need, I just need a dummy 3.5" 'HDD' that has a cut-away to take a 2.5" HDD.
(I can make the electrical connections with a 2.5" dribe in the bay but it's
just a matter of keeping it in place.) I guess that, as there would be
little profit in such a device when they can instead sell you a 2.5"
hot-swap bay the chances of finding such a thing are minimal.

Thanks again for the reply. I think that unless someone reads this and
thinks "Wow! I've seen just the thing!" I fear that my only option will be
to have an adapter made to do the job. That's likely to be expensive,
especially when you consider thermal requirements, unless of course my
engineer mate needs some IT-type stuff done in the near future. <shrug>

Cheers,
--

On 25/12/2010 11:46 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Richard. Yeah, it's an odd one. However you can see
> how such a device would be really useful to me yes? I have USB / eSATA docks
> like you mention but this 'bay' system is so much more elegant IMO (some of
> my machines don't have eSATA so it's just easier / faster to just pull the
> HDD and image it on the heavy iron than it would be to do it via USB).
>
> It'd be great to have an adapter that the laptop drive just clicks into. I
> realise that there wouldn't be much room on the side as they both have the
> connectors the same distance from the edge. However I do believe that it's
> not only do-able but would be great. Welland make a 2 x 2.5" SATA 'bay' that
> takes up the same amount of room in the desktop machine.
>
> However I feel that I have all of the electro-mechanical equipment that I
> need, I just need a dummy 3.5" 'HDD' that has a cut-away to take a 2.5" HDD.
> (I can make the electrical connections with a 2.5" dribe in the bay but it's
> just a matter of keeping it in place.) I guess that, as there would be
> little profit in such a device when they can instead sell you a 2.5"
> hot-swap bay the chances of finding such a thing are minimal.
>
> Thanks again for the reply. I think that unless someone reads this and
> thinks "Wow! I've seen just the thing!" I fear that my only option will be
> to have an adapter made to do the job. That's likely to be expensive,
> especially when you consider thermal requirements, unless of course my
> engineer mate needs some IT-type stuff done in the near future.<shrug>

Either that, or something HDD shaped with a sata extension from the back
to a loose cable you can just plug into the 2.5 and sit it inside the
device, but I have only seen sata extenstions in rather long lengths,
not the 80-100mm you would want for doing that.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 25/12/2010 8:58 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas
>> day? I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a product that
>> could be of benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set up with four
>> Welland hot-swappable SATA HDD bays. These take a bare drive and,
>> along with a small app (that I think someone here put me onto) allow
>> me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and out.

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=icydock%20ssd

Hmmm, that looks almost promising. However I think tha the SATA connectors
aren't as close to the edge of the drive as they need to be to go into a
dock.

From what I can see with a 3.5" and a 2.5" drive on my desk in front of me
they're both the same distance from the side of the HDD. So, for a 2.5 to
fit into the bay the side of the drive nearest the connectors would have to
be 'exposed', it'd have to be the side of the drive-in-adapter. That item
looks close but it'd only have to be a mm or two out for it not to work and
from what I can tell it *is* out by the thickness of the casing (designed
for lose cable attachment).

If I was rich (and if newegg shipped outside the US*) I'd just buy one
anyway and try it but I'd say there's only a 20 : 80 chance of it working
from what I can see and going by the tolerances in the bay.

(* At least they never used to ship even as far as Canada. Things might have
changed.)

Cheers mate,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> On 25/12/2010 11:46 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your reply Richard. Yeah, it's an odd one. However you
>> can see how such a device would be really useful to me yes? I have
>> USB / eSATA docks like you mention but this 'bay' system is so much
>> more elegant IMO (some of my machines don't have eSATA so it's just
>> easier / faster to just pull the HDD and image it on the heavy iron
>> than it would be to do it via USB). It'd be great to have an adapter that
>> the laptop drive just clicks
>> into. I realise that there wouldn't be much room on the side as they
>> both have the connectors the same distance from the edge. However I
>> do believe that it's not only do-able but would be great. Welland
>> make a 2 x 2.5" SATA 'bay' that takes up the same amount of room in
>> the desktop machine. However I feel that I have all of the
>> electro-mechanical equipment
>> that I need, I just need a dummy 3.5" 'HDD' that has a cut-away to
>> take a 2.5" HDD. (I can make the electrical connections with a 2.5"
>> dribe in the bay but it's just a matter of keeping it in place.) I
>> guess that, as there would be little profit in such a device when
>> they can instead sell you a 2.5" hot-swap bay the chances of finding
>> such a thing are minimal. Thanks again for the reply. I think that
>> unless someone reads this
>> and thinks "Wow! I've seen just the thing!" I fear that my only
>> option will be to have an adapter made to do the job. That's likely
>> to be expensive, especially when you consider thermal requirements,
>> unless of course my engineer mate needs some IT-type stuff done in
>> the near future.<shrug>

> Either that, or something HDD shaped with a sata extension from the
> back to a loose cable you can just plug into the 2.5 and sit it
> inside the device, but I have only seen sata extenstions in rather
> long lengths, not the 80-100mm you would want for doing that.

Hmmm, good point. I could even possibly use a fuched 3.5" SATA PCB / HDD and
solder one end of the cable to the PCB... If I had a fuched 3.5 SATA drive
I'd likely give it a go. Thanks for the idea.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
>> On 25/12/2010 8:58 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Hi folks, I trust that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas
>>> day? I was wondering if anyone has an idea or knows of a
>>> product that could be of benefit to me. I have my 'heavy iron' set
>>> up with four Welland hot-swappable SATA HDD bays. These take a bare
>>> drive and, along with a small app (that I think someone here put me
>>> onto) allow
>>> me to hot-swap my SATA HDDs in and out.

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=icydock%20ssd

> Hmmm, that looks almost promising. However I think tha the SATA
> connectors aren't as close to the edge of the drive as they need to
> be to go into a dock.
>
> From what I can see with a 3.5" and a 2.5" drive on my desk in front
> of me they're both the same distance from the side of the HDD. So,
> for a 2.5 to fit into the bay the side of the drive nearest the
> connectors would have to be 'exposed', it'd have to be the side of
> the drive-in-adapter. That item looks close but it'd only have to be
> a mm or two out for it not to work and from what I can tell it *is*
> out by the thickness of the casing (designed for lose cable
> attachment).
> If I was rich (and if newegg shipped outside the US*) I'd just buy one
> anyway and try it but I'd say there's only a 20 : 80 chance of it
> working from what I can see and going by the tolerances in the bay.

Okay, I should have read it more thouroughly. They claim that it will fit
"3.5" SATA HDD enclosure, mobile rack, and backplane modules". Perhaps it
would work. I might look into how much it'll cost to get one, delivered
tomorrow.

Thanks.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

J.Wilson

news:if487v$rmq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> [...]
> does what I want (that my white-belt Google-fu didn't find) that was inexpensive I'd
> consider diverting some food money towards getting it.
>
> I thought about trying to make one myself, or getting an engineering mate to mill out a
> 3.5" HDD to accept a 2.5" drive. However it's not as easy as I hoped that it might be at
> first and I'd rather not call in a favour of that magnitude from my engineer friend if
> there's another, more elegant solution. I'm thinking that heat might be an issue if I'm
> copying something like half a terrabyte of data and hoping that, if there *is* a
> commercial product available it'll address this issue. This is what stops me using a
> 3.5" HDD-sized block of wood with a rebate that a 2.5" drive would fit into.
>
> Can anyone help me? Much TIA if so and I'll speak to the Earth-mother on your behalf so
> that 2011 should be a brilliant year for you.

A sata 2 to usb3 fast enough?

http://www.chinazrh.com/wholesale-us...er-p-4693.html

I was looking for ide/sata to usb2 adapter then learned that usb3
was out and to rethink

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs J.Wilson wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:if487v$rmq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

[snip]
>> However, I find that I'm doing a bit of copying / cloning using 2.5"
>> laptop HDDs these days and I guess I'm spoilt. Copying large amounts
>> of data at USB2 speeds is a right royal PITA.

[snip]

> A sata 2 to usb3 fast enough?
>
> http://www.chinazrh.com/wholesale-us...er-p-4693.html
>
> I was looking for ide/sata to usb2 adapter then learned that usb3
> was out and to rethink

Yeah, USB3 would do the job very well. The only problem with that scenario
is that I'd have to replace all of my USB2 HDD docks, maybe fit a USB3 PCIe
card into the heavy iron and I would definitely need to buy USB3
ExpressCards for the laptops (I'm not sure about bus-speed and possible
limitations on those).

For you, just looking to set something up, it would be great. However I
already have the hardware in place so it would mean dumping it and starting
again, something that's not possible as my sole yearly lotto ticket didn't
win.

I'll have to look more closely at the device EMB linked to, then check if
the plastic has enough leeway on it.... I see in the user reviews that some
people said that it runs HDDs very hot (but that, with SSDs high
temperatures don't matter [?] ). It would be great to find a local supplier
so that I could (possibly) eyeball the thing before buying but also return
it if it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. Freight charges to the US kill that
option.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

victor

On 26/12/2010 12:15 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

> Yeah, USB3 would do the job very well. The only problem with that scenario
> is that I'd have to replace all of my USB2 HDD docks, maybe fit a USB3 PCIe
> card into the heavy iron and I would definitely need to buy USB3
> ExpressCards for the laptops (I'm not sure about bus-speed and possible
> limitations on those).
>
> For you, just looking to set something up, it would be great. However I
> already have the hardware in place so it would mean dumping it and starting
> again, something that's not possible as my sole yearly lotto ticket didn't
> win.
>
> I'll have to look more closely at the device EMB linked to, then check if
> the plastic has enough leeway on it.... I see in the user reviews that some
> people said that it runs HDDs very hot (but that, with SSDs high
> temperatures don't matter [?] ). It would be great to find a local supplier
> so that I could (possibly) eyeball the thing before buying but also return
> it if it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. Freight charges to the US kill that
> option.
>
> Cheers,

I really like the idea of the wooden one.