Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SSH tunnels woes with Putty

SSH tunnels woes with Putty

Al

Hi Folks,

I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.

Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:

putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
but not using putty

ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v

Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
someone please help.

Cheers

-Al

Richard

On 25/12/2010 6:27 p.m., Al wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
> SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
> Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.
>
> Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:
>
> putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
>
> and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
> whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
> after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
> that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
> but not using putty
>
> ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
>
> Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
> Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
> someone please help.

I have never used putty for it, but I do it all the time with bitvise, I
also use it to get torrent tracker updates out past the obnoxious
slingshot layer 7 thing that impersonates connection reset by peer.

Enkidu

On 25/12/10 18:27, Al wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
> SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
> Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.
>
> Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:
>
> putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
>
> and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
> whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
> after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
> that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
> but not using putty
>
> ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
>
> Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
> Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
> someone please help.

I'd reckon it's a Win7 thing. Probably a win firewall. Though as I
understand it the Win firewall doesn't manage outgoing traffic.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Andy Gray

On Dec 25 2010, 3:27*pm, Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I REALLY hope someone here can help me. I have been trying to setup a
> SSH tunnel so that when I surf the net on my laptop I can SSH into my
> Ubuntu box at home and go through that for web page traffic.
>
> Now I tried to connect to Ubuntu@home from laptop running Win7 with:
>
> putty -ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
>
> and the connection establishes just fine, but when I surf to
> whatsmyip.org I get a different WAN IP to my Ubuntu WAN IP. Weird, so
> after a lot or trying different things (IE7, Chrome etc) I rebooted
> that same laptop into Ubuntu as well and issued the exact same command
> but not using putty
>
> ssh my.dyndns.org -l username -P 443 -D 8080 -v
>
> Now it works like a charm, so I am thinking its something specific to
> Win7 or Putty. But I am at the limit of my trouble shooting. Can
> someone please help.
>
> Cheers
>
> -Al

I have not managed to get a similar configuration working either.
However, using freecap and firefox to use the dynamic port forward
from putty did work. Perhaps try freecap out, it works for me. But
as you say, firefox should be able to use a dynamic port - or at least
I would have thought so, but I'm not sure myself (hence posting in
this forum in another thread)
- Andrew