Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > New to ASP.NET but oldtime ASP classic developer

New to ASP.NET but oldtime ASP classic developer

JackV

Hi all,

Just starting in ASP.NET finnally. I have a basic question.

I want to simply display data from a SQLSever table on to the webpage.
Simple enough?

I created an app on the ASP server and added the a Data Web Form, found my
table and fields and then...

When I go and build and show the page, it is blank.....

Um, No complie errors or warnings so what happened? I then placed a simple
label on the form to make sure I am viewing the right page. And yes the
label came up.

So somehow the page is not pulling the data...

Any helpful ideas or easy step by step samples will be helpful. Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?U3VyZXNo?=

You have to have a control that accepts your data to display it to the client or you manually iterate thru the data and compose a HTML table to send to the client

In ASP.NET you can use the DataGrid control and bind the data to it and it will take care of displaying the data on the client browser

For sample code visit
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst...a/datagrid1.sr

Suresh

----- JackV wrote: ----

Hi all

Just starting in ASP.NET finnally. I have a basic question

I want to simply display data from a SQLSever table on to the webpage
Simple enough

I created an app on the ASP server and added the a Data Web Form, found m
table and fields and then..

When I go and build and show the page, it is blank....

Um, No complie errors or warnings so what happened? I then placed a simpl
label on the form to make sure I am viewing the right page. And yes th
label came up

So somehow the page is not pulling the data..

Any helpful ideas or easy step by step samples will be helpful. Thank

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

> When I go and build and show the page, it is blank.....

Are you using VS.NET? If so, are you hitting F5 to do this (or going to
Start/Debug)?

Is the code to bind the data to your data Web control in the Page_Load
event handler? What does your code-behind class look like?

Thanks.

--

Scott Mitchell
http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com

"JackV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%234Li38I$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Just starting in ASP.NET finnally. I have a basic question.
>
> I want to simply display data from a SQLSever table on to the webpage.
> Simple enough?
>
> I created an app on the ASP server and added the a Data Web Form, found

my
> table and fields and then...
>
> When I go and build and show the page, it is blank.....
>
> Um, No complie errors or warnings so what happened? I then placed a

simple
> label on the form to make sure I am viewing the right page. And yes the
> label came up.
>
> So somehow the page is not pulling the data...
>
> Any helpful ideas or easy step by step samples will be helpful. Thanks

JackV

Thanks for the help. The samples made a real difference...

news(E-Mail Removed)...

http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst.../datagrid1.src