Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computer not accessible. Network path not found

Computer not accessible. Network path not found

DanR

My WinXP has only one key named restrictanonymous. Expand the column to see
entire word. But it sounds like you are already at 0 but double check. This
applies to the computer you want to see from the other computers. That would be
your son's computer. But I just re-read your post and see that his computer can
not see others and others can not see his. So at the moment I'm stumped.
Obviously the problem is with your son's computer as that is the odd guy out.
Other 2 computers work fine on network.
Triple check any firewall programs on his computer. Check the WinXP firewall and
check any that may have come preloaded on his computer. Disable any anti-virus
programs temporarily.
I vaguely recall having a similar problem a year or so ago and can't remember
how I solved it.

Cathy wrote:
> I checked this path on my computer & it has 2 "restrict anonymous" settings.
> One is on "0" and the other is set to "1". Should I change the 2nd one to
> "0"?? The settings are the same on my son's & husband's computers. Do they
> all need to be changed or just mine? Sorry to be so cautious, but I know
> just enough to be dangerous & don't want to do anything that will mess up
> what is working correctly.
> thanks again!
>
> "DanR" wrote:
>
>> I found this at http://www.computing.net/networking/...rum/25769.html
>> It involves editing the registry. Be very careful if you do this. If you get
>> to the key as instructed below and find that it is already set to 0 then
>> just quit the registry editor and leave things be.
>> This is a copy / paste from the above link.
>>
>> When you double click on the computer (in My Network Places/Workgroup) that
>> you are trying to access the shared files from you may get this message:
>>
>> You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions
>>
>> Access Denied
>>

>> If you see this message the following should be done on the computer
>> containing the shared files:
>>
>> Click START
>>
>> RUN
>>
>> Type regedit and press enter
>>
>> Now find the following key -
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
>>
>> Double click on 'restrictanonymous' and change the Value Data from 1 to 0
>>
>> Exit regedit and reboot the computer
>>
>> Now when you click on the computer (using My Network Places) you are trying
>> to get the shared files from the message will not appear and you can access
>> the shared files.
>>

>> Cathy wrote:
>>> Thanks for the suggestions. Before adding the 3rd computer, the other 2
>>> could & still do see each other. All 3 computers show when I click "My
>>> Network Places", but I'm denied access from there. I tried your suggestion
>>> of adding a network place, but there is no + next to my son's computer name,
>>> so I can't get past that point ("OK" is not an option until the folders are
>>> displayed). I also created the desktop folder, but no warnings popped up
>>> when I "shared" it.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aHk=?=

Thanks for all the info & the time spent to give it to me. I'll share it
with our computer guy the next time he's out. He was stumped as well. It
may be that something's going on with Windows & we may have to reinstall.
Was hoping to avoid that if possible.
thanks again!

"DanR" wrote:

> My WinXP has only one key named restrictanonymous. Expand the column to see
> entire word. But it sounds like you are already at 0 but double check. This
> applies to the computer you want to see from the other computers. That would be
> your son's computer. But I just re-read your post and see that his computer can
> not see others and others can not see his. So at the moment I'm stumped.
> Obviously the problem is with your son's computer as that is the odd guy out.
> Other 2 computers work fine on network.
> Triple check any firewall programs on his computer. Check the WinXP firewall and
> check any that may have come preloaded on his computer. Disable any anti-virus
> programs temporarily.
> I vaguely recall having a similar problem a year or so ago and can't remember
> how I solved it.
>
> Cathy wrote:
> > I checked this path on my computer & it has 2 "restrict anonymous" settings.
> > One is on "0" and the other is set to "1". Should I change the 2nd one to
> > "0"?? The settings are the same on my son's & husband's computers. Do they
> > all need to be changed or just mine? Sorry to be so cautious, but I know
> > just enough to be dangerous & don't want to do anything that will mess up
> > what is working correctly.
> > thanks again!
> >
> > "DanR" wrote:
> >
> >> I found this at http://www.computing.net/networking/...rum/25769.html
> >> It involves editing the registry. Be very careful if you do this. If you get
> >> to the key as instructed below and find that it is already set to 0 then
> >> just quit the registry editor and leave things be.
> >> This is a copy / paste from the above link.
> >>
> >> When you double click on the computer (in My Network Places/Workgroup) that
> >> you are trying to access the shared files from you may get this message:
> >>
> >> You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> >> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions
> >>
> >> Access Denied
> >>

> >> If you see this message the following should be done on the computer
> >> containing the shared files:
> >>
> >> Click START
> >>
> >> RUN
> >>
> >> Type regedit and press enter
> >>
> >> Now find the following key -
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
> >>
> >> Double click on 'restrictanonymous' and change the Value Data from 1 to 0
> >>
> >> Exit regedit and reboot the computer
> >>
> >> Now when you click on the computer (using My Network Places) you are trying
> >> to get the shared files from the message will not appear and you can access
> >> the shared files.

DanR

I have read that if you over use the network wizard trying to accomplish the
same task that the registry can become corrupted as for as networking goes. Why
not post your question in:
alt.internet.wireless
There are some pretty smart people there.

Cathy wrote:
> Thanks for all the info & the time spent to give it to me. I'll share it
> with our computer guy the next time he's out. He was stumped as well. It
> may be that something's going on with Windows & we may have to reinstall.
> Was hoping to avoid that if possible.
> thanks again!
>
> "DanR" wrote:
>
>> My WinXP has only one key named restrictanonymous. Expand the column to see
>> entire word. But it sounds like you are already at 0 but double check. This
>> applies to the computer you want to see from the other computers. That would
>> be your son's computer. But I just re-read your post and see that his
>> computer can not see others and others can not see his. So at the moment I'm
>> stumped. Obviously the problem is with your son's computer as that is the
>> odd guy out. Other 2 computers work fine on network.
>> Triple check any firewall programs on his computer. Check the WinXP firewall
>> and check any that may have come preloaded on his computer. Disable any
>> anti-virus programs temporarily.
>> I vaguely recall having a similar problem a year or so ago and can't remember
>> how I solved it.
>>
>> Cathy wrote:
>>> I checked this path on my computer & it has 2 "restrict anonymous" settings.
>>> One is on "0" and the other is set to "1". Should I change the 2nd one to
>>> "0"?? The settings are the same on my son's & husband's computers. Do
>>> they all need to be changed or just mine? Sorry to be so cautious, but I
>>> know just enough to be dangerous & don't want to do anything that will mess
>>> up what is working correctly.
>>> thanks again!

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

Man, I was really hoping for an answer to this. I have the same issue.
Every time I travel and come home again, I can no longer access my network.
I get that same message. I tried the links here...nothing works. anyone?

colt

Dan, I just stumbled upon this thread. You saved my life. I was just a
couple of days from calling in our Computer Dr. I had the same desktop
invisibility problem that Cathy has. I have been working for weeks on this.
I had previously reset restrictanonymous on my laptop, but not my desktop. I
can now share and print files to my hearts content. Thanks again. Jim

"DanR" wrote:

> I found this at http://www.computing.net/networking/...rum/25769.html
> It involves editing the registry. Be very careful if you do this. If you get to
> the key as instructed below and find that it is already set to 0 then just quit
> the registry editor and leave things be.
> This is a copy / paste from the above link.
>
> When you double click on the computer (in My Network Places/Workgroup) that you
> are trying to access the shared files from you may get this message:
>
> You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions
>
> Access Denied
>

> If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing
> the shared files:
>
> Click START
>
> RUN
>
> Type regedit and press enter
>
> Now find the following key -
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
>
> Double click on 'restrictanonymous' and change the Value Data from 1 to 0
>
> Exit regedit and reboot the computer
>
> Now when you click on the computer (using My Network Places) you are trying to
> get the shared files from the message will not appear and you can access the
> shared files.
>

> Cathy wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestions. Before adding the 3rd computer, the other 2
> > could & still do see each other. All 3 computers show when I click "My
> > Network Places", but I'm denied access from there. I tried your suggestion
> > of adding a network place, but there is no + next to my son's computer name,
> > so I can't get past that point ("OK" is not an option until the folders are
> > displayed). I also created the desktop folder, but no warnings popped up
> > when I "shared" it.
> >
> > "DanR" wrote:
> >
> >> I just re-read your posts and realize you have 3 computers. Before adding
> >> your son's computer did the other 2 computers network OK? Could each see the
> >> other? If so it could be you just need to enable "remote access to this
> >> computer" as I stated in previous post. (below) But that should not keep the
> >> son's computer from seeing the other 2 computers.
> >> Double check that the network was set up correctly on son's computer.

matt55 matt55 is offline
Junior Member

i realize this is a pretty old thread, but i thought i would add a solution that just worked for me, i turned off internet connection sharing on the computer that i could not access, and for some reason this fixed the problem