Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Files being corrupted during transfer

Re: Files being corrupted during transfer

Dave Cohen

On 12/22/2010 7:44 PM, Peabody wrote:
> A friend of mine has a new Canon T2i, and is having trouble with
> corrupted files when he removes the SD card from the camera and
> uses a card reader to transfer the jpegs to his computer.
>
> When the card is in the camera, everything works fine. All the
> pics display fine in playback mode, and in fact he can transfer the
> pics just fine by connecting a USB cable directly to the camera.
>
> I've tried transferring the files to my computer using his card
> reader, and there are no problems. But using my hex editor, I've
> compared the good and bad versions of a few of the files that were
> corrupted, and the bad versions are different by 512 bytes - that
> segment of the bad file contains a copy of a previously transferred
> 512 bytes in the file, rather than what should be there. For
> example, at 24ca00-24cbff one file has a copy of the contents at
> 24c400-24c5ff rather than what is in the good file at 24ca00. But
> the absolute and relative addresses involved are not the same from
> one corrupted file to another. And some files have multiple
> 512-byte screwups. And of course many of the files aren't corrupt
> at all.
>
> Since I've confirmed he didn't imagine this, but since I also can't
> duplicate it, I'm trying to make sure I've considered all the
> possiblitites for the cause. Since the files are correct on the SD
> card, I would conclude it's highly unlikely the camera is at fault.
> I think it's also unlikely, but maybe not highly unlikely, that
> there's a problem with the card. While he reports that he has had
> the problem with two Transcend class 6 cards, but not with a Lexar
> card, all of those cards work fine using his card reader on my
> computer.
>
> The card reader could be at fault, even though it works fine for
> me. But I'm leaning more toward a USB problem - either a bad cable
> (he didn't bring me the cable he's been using with the reader), or
> possibly not enough current available at the port he's connecting
> to.
>
> Is there any other possiblity I haven't considered that he should
> check for? His computer works fine, and there's no indication of
> any other file corruption issues.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> By the way, I gotta tell you this T2i is one slick mother. The
> high-ISO performance is very impressive.

Sounds like his machine. If he's using a front usb port try one of the
rear ports. Of course, if a cable is involved you must eliminate that. I
assume he's not using a hub, you would have jumped on that one. You
might also temporarily disconnect other usb devices.

Ron

"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ieuek5$9bj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 12/22/2010 7:44 PM, Peabody wrote:
>> A friend of mine has a new Canon T2i, and is having trouble with
>> corrupted files when he removes the SD card from the camera and
>> uses a card reader to transfer the jpegs to his computer.
>>
>> When the card is in the camera, everything works fine. All the
>> pics display fine in playback mode, and in fact he can transfer the
>> pics just fine by connecting a USB cable directly to the camera.
>>
>> I've tried transferring the files to my computer using his card
>> reader, and there are no problems. But using my hex editor, I've
>> compared the good and bad versions of a few of the files that were
>> corrupted, and the bad versions are different by 512 bytes - that
>> segment of the bad file contains a copy of a previously transferred
>> 512 bytes in the file, rather than what should be there. For
>> example, at 24ca00-24cbff one file has a copy of the contents at
>> 24c400-24c5ff rather than what is in the good file at 24ca00. But
>> the absolute and relative addresses involved are not the same from
>> one corrupted file to another. And some files have multiple
>> 512-byte screwups. And of course many of the files aren't corrupt
>> at all.
>>
>> Since I've confirmed he didn't imagine this, but since I also can't
>> duplicate it, I'm trying to make sure I've considered all the
>> possiblitites for the cause. Since the files are correct on the SD
>> card, I would conclude it's highly unlikely the camera is at fault.
>> I think it's also unlikely, but maybe not highly unlikely, that
>> there's a problem with the card. While he reports that he has had
>> the problem with two Transcend class 6 cards, but not with a Lexar
>> card, all of those cards work fine using his card reader on my
>> computer.
>>
>> The card reader could be at fault, even though it works fine for
>> me. But I'm leaning more toward a USB problem - either a bad cable
>> (he didn't bring me the cable he's been using with the reader), or
>> possibly not enough current available at the port he's connecting
>> to.
>>
>> Is there any other possiblity I haven't considered that he should
>> check for? His computer works fine, and there's no indication of
>> any other file corruption issues.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> By the way, I gotta tell you this T2i is one slick mother. The
>> high-ISO performance is very impressive.
>>

> Sounds like his machine. If he's using a front usb port try one of the
> rear ports. Of course, if a cable is involved you must eliminate that. I
> assume he's not using a hub, you would have jumped on that one. You might
> also temporarily disconnect other usb devices.

A number of years back my computer system worked fine, then I bought a new
HP printer. After installing the USB printer everything worked fine except
the USB keyboard would at times shift in and out of upper case on its own.
If I unplugged the the printer the keyboard worked fine. Had to be the
printer/printer software, I thought. I downloaded the printer drivers and
software from the HP web site thinking something was corrupt in what I had.
With the recently downloaded softwear and drivers the keyboard problem was
still there. Must be a problem with the HP software/drivers. With a HP
tech on the line we worked through a number of things and finally determined
it wasn't HP at all, it was my hub! Although it worked fine before the new
printer was installed it still had a problem. I purchased a new hub and
that same HP printer has since worked fine with several different PCs.

Ron