Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Please recommend some tools for c++ static analysis and memory leak detecting

Please recommend some tools for c++ static analysis and memory leak detecting

Jorgen Grahn

On Tue, 2010-12-21, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Dec 21, 8:04*am, Brian Jiang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi every guru, could you please recommend some tools for C++ static
>> analysis and memory leak detecting.
>> It will be better if they are free of charge

> google valgrind for a memory leak checker. It's for certain linux
> platforms.

And MacOS, and various *BSDs. It's not a static analysis tool though.
It will only analyze code that gets executed.

I know of no good free tools. I have used Coverity Prevent, but it's
expensive and I'm still not sure how good it really is. I've heard a
sales talk for Polyspace, but that one was very expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._code_analysis

For memory leaks specifically: personally I find good (even decent!)
design takes care of them. Use the standard containers, avoid operator
new, make ownership clear and explicit, etc ... This works for new code,
and usually for legacy code too.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Jorgen Grahn

On Sun, 2010-12-26, DeMarcus wrote:
> On 2010-12-21 14:04, Brian Jiang wrote:
>> Hi every guru, could you please recommend some tools for C++ static
>> analysis and memory leak detecting.
>> It will be better if they are free of charge

> Many has already pointed out Valgrind. Valgrind integrates well into the
> Eclipse IDE and points out all occurrences of memory leaks directly in
> the source code just like the compiler shows the errors. Pretty neat if
> you like Eclipse.

IMHO, if you have *that* many memory leaks for such a long time,
finding the point of allocation in the source code is the least of
your problems ...

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .