Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT FCC to control Internet access

OT FCC to control Internet access

peter

The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.

Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
this issue.

According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
access (and content?)

<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>

--
Peter

Pete Stavrakoglou

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4d10a24e$0$5483$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...

> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
>
> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
> this issue.
>
> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control access
> (and content?)
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>

Even Al Franken can have a dose of sanity now and then.

RichA

On Dec 21, 7:48*am, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
>
> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
> this issue.
>
> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
> access (and content?)
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=t...>
>
> --
> Peter

Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with? You and the other
Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
websites.

John A.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:38:01 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Dec 21, 7:48*am, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
>>
>> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
>> this issue.
>>
>> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
>> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
>> access (and content?)
>>
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=t...>
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
>opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with? You and the other
>Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
>websites.

Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

RichA

On Dec 21, 12:42*pm, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:38:01 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >On Dec 21, 7:48 am, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.

> >> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
> >> this issue.

> >> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
> >> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
> >> access (and content?)

> >> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=t...>

> >> --
> >> Peter

> >Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
> >opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with? *You and the other
> >Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
> >websites.

> Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

What does Al Franken think of the ADL's placement of a "hate filter"
in a large internet censor mechanism originally designed to filter
pornography? Al Gore endorsed it, but what does Franken think?

John A.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:51:21 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Dec 21, 12:42*pm, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:38:01 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
>> >opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with? *You and the other
>> >Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
>> >websites.

>> Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

>What does Al Franken think of the ADL's placement of a "hate filter"
>in a large internet censor mechanism originally designed to filter
>pornography? Al Gore endorsed it, but what does Franken think?

As it happens, my web browser effectively filters out pages I'm not
currently looking at. Such a filter as you describe, installed,
configured, activated, and used at the option of the user, is no more
censorship than that.

My not listening to you is not an infringement of your freedom of
speech.

John A.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:39:08 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-12-21 09:51:21 -0800, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Dec 21, 12:42*pm, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> on

>> ss

>> =t...>

>>> Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

>> What does Al Franken think of the ADL's placement of a "hate filter"
>> in a large internet censor mechanism originally designed to filter
>> pornography? Al Gore endorsed it, but what does Franken think?

>...and just why would you be bothered, considering your location North
>of the border?

Loss of an audience south of the border?

peter

On 12/21/2010 12:51 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Dec 21, 12:42 pm, John A.<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:38:01 -0800 (PST), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Google maps are one thing, Franken, but how about blogs and other
>>> opinions on the net you don't happen to agree with? You and the other
>>> Hugo Chavez's of the world would LOVE to be able to censor-at-will
>>> websites.

>> Hey, it's not the Dems who came up with "free speech zones".

> What does Al Franken think of the ADL's placement of a "hate filter"
> in a large internet censor mechanism originally designed to filter
> pornography? Al Gore endorsed it, but what does Franken think?

Ask! He has a public email. While you're dissing Franken, read the whole
FCC proposal, It sets up the groundwork for censorship. the proposal
scares the **** out of me. Also, read the loopholes.

--
Peter

peter

On 12/21/2010 5:30 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-12-21 11:48:49 -0800, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:48:49 -0500, peter
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
>>>
>>> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
>>> this issue.
>>>
>>> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
>>> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control
>>> access (and content?)
>>>
>>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>
>>>

> Never
>>>

>> mind...
>>
>> Franken is against the mobile compaines censoring sites to sell their
>> own. Still not sure the gov should get involved.

> Who is AT&T & Verizon paying.

The proposed rules are quite fuzzy. I think the FCC is dipping its toe
in the water. It is up to us, to raise a fuss. I have already written my
congressman and both Senators.

--
Peter

peter

On 12/21/2010 8:12 AM, Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
> "peter"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4d10a24e$0$5483$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>>
>> The FCC announced that it is gong to start regulating Internet access.
>>
>> Hard to believe, but Sen. Al Franken is lined up with the republicans on
>> this issue.
>>
>> According to the official announcement there will be no denial of access
>> on land lines, but wireless providers will be permitted to control access
>> (and content?)
>>
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/business/media/21fcc.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a2>

> Even Al Franken can have a dose of sanity now and then.

Think it through.Hopefully you will write to your congressman and
Senators Schumer and Gilderbrand, expressing your POV. this affects all
of us, which is why I posted this off topic article.

--
Peter