Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why I can't leave Windows

Why I can't leave Windows

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't. I can't because Linux can't
make me totally happy. Why?

Drivers:
Many distro's, such as Ubuntu do have good "out of the box" support but
driver support still lags behind nevertheless. I do not want to spend
time searching for drivers and then typing in tons of commands to get
things up and running properly. Sure you can go buy specific hardware
that is known to be Linux compatible but isn't that like having to live
with a MAC??!??!!???!!

Packages:
Every distro has a package manager. However I cannot keep count of the
number of times I have installed a package that does not work. Then when
I go and search in the forums, I get answers telling me "download this"
and "type these commands". Wait a minute! Shouldn't it just work without
all the run around???? Does anyone realize how annoying and confusing
that is for users? To them it looks like an easy way to install new
software but then they get a nasty surprise. Folks the average user
hates that.

Command Terminal:
Look it's 2009. The public doesn't want to type in commands. GUI's have
been around for how long? It's obvious by the success of Windows that
users want an easier experience. However in Linux you just can't get
many things done without typing in commands. It's time consuming. Users
want to use their software and do things, not spend time typing
commands. Users need something easier and intuitive. If you don't want
to give up the need for a terminal fine but don't complain when the
public still prefers Windows and it's easy GUI that does nearly
everything by point and click. If Windows is so bad why is it so
popular? If what makes it so popular is something you do not want to
offer then all the complaining and comparing is pointless. At that point
you might as well just accept that you're never going to be more popular
than Windows, shut your mouth, and play with your Linux quietly.

Support:
There are many forums. Some of them are good. Some of them are full of
arrogant jerks that just hate Windows and turn off nearly every new
Linux user they run into. Regardless, as a new Linux user you spend more
time in a forum begging for help than you do actually enjoying Linux.
PLUS! If you have a serious problem that keeps you from getting on the
Internet.....how do you get to the forums? Take a guess...using another
system. Isn't it embarrassing to need to use a Windows system to go onto
a forum to get Linux help? Doesn't that make a statement about Linux?

Software:
There are some great packages that shine. However the vast majority is
of the same quality as shareware for Windows. I understand that it's
free and I shouldn't complain but look it either fills a need or it
doesn't. I'm not going to use something crappy just because it's free.

Linux fails miserably for 3D gaming. I've said it a thousand times and
I'll say it again. If Linux could get a standardized 3D system like
DirectX and attract gamerz, it's popularity would skyrocket. There are a
few 3D games out there but most of them are hacked ports to Linux that
are full of bugs, not to mention that the games are old news. Even if a
user is not a big gamer, they still will play a game every once in
awhile, and they want something that blows their mind. Linux doesn't
offer that.

Standardization:
Microsoft has Linux beat hands down in this area. There are so many
Linux distros and each of them are doing their own thing. Linux software
is a hodgepodge of different packages that may or may not work with your
distro. Windows users hate the fact that there are a handful of Windows
versions that require different drivers. Do you honestly think that
they're going to like something with even more variations? There is a
point when too much freedom becomes chaos. Linux is chaos.

File System and Naming:
In DOS and Windows, file extensions indicate a purpose. In Linux
anything goes. People need some kind of clearly defined order to lead
them in the right direction. Furthermore it saves time to immediately
recognize a file for what it is or how it's used.

Also some of the names given to software and commands are well.....nuts.
It's looks like someone dropped scrabble blocks on the floor and
randomly selected letters to name things. Overall we come back to the
chaos issue.

Excuses:
I'm pretty fed up with the excuses. I'm often told stuff like "Linux
isn't meant for that" or "Linux isn't trying to be Windows". Own up to
the truth. Linux has serious problems. While it may not be trying to be
100% like Windows, to the eye, it has the same general appearance and
there is an OBVIOUS reason for that - users want it. So stop covering up
the problems and making excuses when things fail. Linux wants to be
better than Windows. It wants to be the more popular OS. It wants to
offer all the features that Windows offers.

Until Linux developers and supporters stop hating Windows enough to get
inside the heads of Windows users, Linux will NEVER beat Windows.
Consumers use what they like. OBVIOUSLY they like Windows more, no
matter what excuses are offered. Why in the world would users turn down
a free OS for a commercial one unless there are big things they don't
like? Stop trying to tell consumers why they should hate Windows.
Instead concentrate on making Linux something that consumers really
want. Not what you think they should want.

The fact is that most computer users are novices. You must cater that
crowd to be successful at overtaking Windows. There is no honor in being
able to use a more complex operating system. Nobody is impressed. Nobody
cares. An operating system should make things easier NOT harder. If
Linux dev's would face the truth and cater to the needs of the public
they might be more successful.

Here's the killer for Linux and if dev's and hardcore fans could wipe
the hatred away from heir eyes long enough to see it, they would. At the
current rate of development, Windows is better equipped to steal ideas
from Linux and put it into an easy to use package. Linux, on the other
hand cannot develop quickly enough. Unless dev's band together,
standardize, and get serious about winning over the public, Linux may
never catch up.

I know some Linux fan is going to say something about how wrong I am but
that type of response is at the heart of the problem. You can't tell a
consumer how they should feel or how they should perceive a product. You
must adapt to the consumer. If the consumer doesn't like what you have,
then YOU are wrong and you will never convince them otherwise.

http://www.whylinuxsucks.org/why-i-j...-leave-windows
--
All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.

Dan C

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:51:47 -0600, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:

> God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't. I can't because Linux can't
> make me totally happy.<SNIP>

Troll-O-Meter

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
| | | | | | | | | | |
^

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he poured grease onto the interstate.

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

On 18 Dec 2010 05:04:55 GMT, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:51:47 -0600, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:
>
>> God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't. I can't because Linux can't
>> make me totally happy.<SNIP>

> Troll-O-Meter
>
> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
> __________________________________________________ _
> | | | | | | | | | | |
> ^

That's it? A troll O' meter? Any constructive commentary always sends
Linux adherents into defense mode.

That's fine. Millions have tried Linux and just can't make it work for
them. But, don't worry, that is the fault of the dummies who just don't
understand the various distro's, not Linux.

And you guys wonder why only about 1.8 percent of computer users
worldwide use Linux.

It's because they are all stupid, no other reason.

Parko

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 23:14:09 -0600, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:

<snippped> Output sent to /dev/nul, where it belongs.
--
Oh, bugger!

MyNews

Not all Linux the same is the love window just like you!
http://www.xandros.com/products/home/home_edition.html

Mike Easter

CAD wrote:
> God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't.

Why do you need to or why would you 'love to' drop windows?

> I can't because Linux can't make me totally happy.

Why would anything make you totally happy?

> Drivers:

Rarely a problem.

> Packages:

Linux package management is distinctly different than windows especially
as it relates to program installation.

Ideally one would be able to use available and trusted repositories, in
which case the linux system is far superior to the risks and problems of
the windows system.

> Command Terminal:

The very powerful command terminal system in linux is far superior to
the weak-kneed system that windows has tried to use for years.

When windows needs things managed 'by hand' it is much more harum scarum
than linux -- mostly linux can be managed by graphical tools.

> Support:

There are strong and weak support for both windows and linux.

> Software:

There is plenty of software for both linux and windows, and plenty of
ways to use both - ranging from dual booting to dual machines on KVM
(the way I do it) to emulation to virtual machines.

> Linux fails miserably for 3D gaming.

I have no idea about gaming.

> Standardization:

MS wishes that everything made were MS's. No thanks.

> File System and Naming:

Linux has superior file systems.

You should stay with windows.

Most people can use either or both.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2010-12-18, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:
> God, I'd love to drop Windows but I can't. I can't because Linux can't
> make me totally happy. Why?
>
> Drivers:
> Many distro's, such as Ubuntu do have good "out of the box" support but
> driver support still lags behind nevertheless. I do not want to spend
> time searching for drivers and then typing in tons of commands to get
> things up and running properly. Sure you can go buy specific hardware
> that is known to be Linux compatible but isn't that like having to live
> with a MAC??!??!!???!!

But people who build computers with the intention of running Windows on
them, choose hardware that is known to work with Windows; isn't that "like
having to live with a MAC" too? If you're taking a machine designed to
work with Windows and installing some other operating system on it, then
it's inevitable that there will be some problems.

> Packages:
> Every distro has a package manager. However I cannot keep count of the
> number of times I have installed a package that does not work. Then when
> I go and search in the forums, I get answers telling me "download this"
> and "type these commands". Wait a minute! Shouldn't it just work without
> all the run around???? Does anyone realize how annoying and confusing
> that is for users? To them it looks like an easy way to install new
> software but then they get a nasty surprise. Folks the average user
> hates that.

No-one ever had difficulties installing anything on a Windows system?
Then why are there support forums and shelves full of books and magazines
all about getting Windows to work?

> Command Terminal:
> Look it's 2009. The public doesn't want to type in commands. GUI's have
> been around for how long? It's obvious by the success of Windows that
> users want an easier experience. However in Linux you just can't get
> many things done without typing in commands. It's time consuming. Users
> want to use their software and do things, not spend time typing
> commands. Users need something easier and intuitive. If you don't want
> to give up the need for a terminal fine but don't complain when the
> public still prefers Windows and it's easy GUI that does nearly
> everything by point and click.

Windows has a 'command-line console' too. Some people like to use it,
some people don't even know it's there. Just like a modern Linux dektop
distro in fact (except that the Linux console is far more powerful of
course).

> If Windows is so bad why is it so
> popular? If what makes it so popular is something you do not want to
> offer then all the complaining and comparing is pointless. At that point
> you might as well just accept that you're never going to be more popular
> than Windows, shut your mouth, and play with your Linux quietly.

Windows isn't popular; it's wide-spread, but so is the common cold.

If Windows is so good, why does anyone ever think of trying anything else?
Indeed, why can you write "God, I'd love to drop Windows" at the start of
your rant?

[...]

> Excuses:
> I'm pretty fed up with the excuses. I'm often told stuff like "Linux
> isn't meant for that" or "Linux isn't trying to be Windows". Own up to
> the truth. Linux has serious problems. While it may not be trying to be
> 100% like Windows, to the eye, it has the same general appearance and
> there is an OBVIOUS reason for that - users want it. So stop covering up
> the problems and making excuses when things fail. Linux wants to be
> better than Windows. It wants to be the more popular OS. It wants to
> offer all the features that Windows offers.

[...]

> I know some Linux fan is going to say something about how wrong I am but
> that type of response is at the heart of the problem. You can't tell a
> consumer how they should feel or how they should perceive a product. You
> must adapt to the consumer. If the consumer doesn't like what you have,
> then YOU are wrong and you will never convince them otherwise.

[...]

You don't like Windows (see the first words in your own post). You like
it so badly that you want to use something else instead. You've tried one
or a few Linux distros (but not with the same dedication and duration of
effort you clearly give to Windows) and none of them have lived up to your
wishes. Is that any reason to waste time and effort in pointless rants
that no-one is ever going to take seriously? Why not have a go at making
Linux into something that does satisfy you? At least the FOSS and GNU
philosophies make that possible - and you might even find yourself being
thanked and praised by other people who've been looking for whatever it is
you end up producing.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Jordon

MyNews wrote:

> Not all Linux the same is the love window just like you!

WTF??

MyNews

Did you go to the Link
or you love the way I say it!

So I Put it this way for you!

Not all Linux the same!
Is the love window?
Just like you!

Go to http://www.xandros.com/products/home/home_edition.html and see for
your self!

news:ieo5su$umm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

--
http://mynews.ath.cx

Jordon

MyNews wrote: