Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > X100 hasn't saved Fuji DSLR forum

X100 hasn't saved Fuji DSLR forum

Rich

Only extended its life a bit. But here's the rub: I don't believe
they will only release the X100 and have it be their only APS sensored
camera. They simply won't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile
so IMO, a DSLR or something like it will be released.

Irwell

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:02:39 -0800 (PST), Rich wrote:

> Only extended its life a bit. But here's the rub: I don't believe
> they will only release the X100 and have it be their only APS sensored
> camera. They simply won't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile
> so IMO, a DSLR or something like it will be released.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1020

Fuji have a winner with the Hybrid Viewfinder, a technology
easily tranferred to less exotic cameras. the P&S market is
yearning for a small camera with a deceent viewfinder.

peter

On 12/17/2010 7:02 PM, Rich wrote:
> Only extended its life a bit. But here's the rub: I don't believe
> they will only release the X100 and have it be their only APS sensored
> camera. They simply won't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile
> so IMO, a DSLR or something like it will be released.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1020

Why didn't you answer my question.

Remember you referred to communism. I demand you explain what you meant
by your reference to my heritage.

--
Peter

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Only extended its life a bit. But here's the rub: I don't believe
>they will only release the X100 and have it be their only APS sensored
>camera. They simply won't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile
>so IMO, a DSLR or something like it will be released.

Think of the FujiFilm X100 as a digital Konica Hexar.

Konica tested the market with the Konica Hexar, a 35mm autofocus
compact that had a superlative 35mm f/2 lens and a super quiet
shutter. When it showed itself to be a sales success, the Konica
designers were allowed to produce the Konica Hexar RF, a 35mm
rangefinder camera with the Leica M mount and a small range of
superlative lenses.

So I expect FujiFilm to do the same. Provided that the X100 sells
well, FujiFilm could well follow it up with a camera that accepts
interchangeable lenses. I hope it uses the Leica M mount.

This week I had lunch with an Epson sales rep who asked me some
carefully structured questions about the possible market for a digital
rangefinder camera with Leica M mount. A successor to the R-D1 is
apparently under active consideration.

If a cheaper alternative to the Leica M9 becomes available, the
digital rangefinder market is likely to grow significantly. If more
than one becomes available, the market will grow rapidly. There are a
great many Leica users who are still shooting on film but who would be
tempted into digital by a more reasonably priced digital M body.

The Leica M9 is far too expensive. The M8 and M8.2 are fatally flawed
and don't make good used buys because of their myriad problems. The
next Leica M body is likely to be even more expensive than the M9, so
an Epson R-D2 or FujiFilm X1 at less than half the price of the M9
would be a very attractive product.

Bruce

Irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:02:39 -0800 (PST), Rich wrote:
>> Only extended its life a bit. But here's the rub: I don't believe
>> they will only release the X100 and have it be their only APS sensored
>> camera. They simply won't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile
>> so IMO, a DSLR or something like it will be released.
>>
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1020

>Fuji have a winner with the Hybrid Viewfinder, a technology
>easily tranferred to less exotic cameras. the P&S market is
>yearning for a small camera with a deceent viewfinder.

How on earth is it a "winner"? You cannot buy one, and no-one knows
yet if it even works.

Except you, obviously.

shiva das

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That Fuji is no Leica M9, it's more like Leica's rebadging of Panasonics.
> I don't think a fixed lens camera has much chance of survival. But I
> hope Fuji prospers outside of cookie-cutter P&S superzooms. It's time
> for them to launch their own mount and lenses.

Wow. And here I always thought "Rich" and "RichA" _were_ sock puppets of
Superzooms Still Lose...

peter

On 12/18/2010 10:42 PM, Rich wrote:
> peter<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4d0c0f49$0$5553
> $(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:
>
>> On 12/17/2010 7:02 PM, Rich wrote:
>>> Only extended its life a bit. But here's the rub: I don't believe
>>> they will only release the X100 and have it be their only APS sensored
>>> camera. They simply won't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile
>>> so IMO, a DSLR or something like it will be released.
>>>
>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1020
>>>

>> Why didn't you answer my question.
>>
>> Remember you referred to communism. I demand you explain what you meant
>> by your reference to my heritage.
>>

> What heritage? I was talking about genetics.

Then please explain your reference to genetics. I am waiting with bated
breath.

--
Peter

peter

On 12/18/2010 11:24 PM, shiva das wrote:
> In article<E4udnfT7fLg_HZDQnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@giganews. com>,
> Rich<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> That Fuji is no Leica M9, it's more like Leica's rebadging of Panasonics.
>> I don't think a fixed lens camera has much chance of survival. But I
>> hope Fuji prospers outside of cookie-cutter P&S superzooms. It's time
>> for them to launch their own mount and lenses.

> Wow. And here I always thought "Rich" and "RichA" _were_ sock puppets of
> Superzooms Still Lose...

They are mutations.

--
Peter

John Turco

Rich wrote:

> Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):

<edited for brevity>

> > Think of the FujiFilm X100 as a digital Konica Hexar.

<edited>

> > If a cheaper alternative to the Leica M9 becomes available,
> > the digital rangefinder market is likely to grow significantly.

> That Fuji is no Leica M9, it's more like Leica's rebadging of
> Panasonics. I don't think a fixed lens camera has much chance
> of survival. But I hope Fuji prospers outside of cookie-cutter
> P&S superzooms. It's time for them to launch their own mount
> and lenses.

Uh...Fuji-manufactured "mount and lenses" ain't ever happening,
Corky! That particular outfit has always focused (pun intended)
on those "cookie-cutter" designs you so ardently loathe.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>