Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > softonic -- safe?

softonic -- safe?

don

Was wondering if this site is acceptable for downloading programs? Just
came across it today, not sure if the site can be trusted.......... any
opinions?

richard

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 21:08:05 -0500, don wrote:

> Was wondering if this site is acceptable for downloading programs? Just
> came across it today, not sure if the site can be trusted.......... any
> opinions?

Supposed to be one of the top 1000 sites in the world.
As with any download, you are always at risk. Before running any software
scan it for virus.

don

> Supposed to be one of the top 1000 sites in the world.
> As with any download, you are always at risk. Before running any software
> scan it for virus.

Why is a site that offers free downloads of "non-free" software legal?
just wondering

don

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 01:02:38 -0500, "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> Where? I'm not seeing any non-free software free there, except for
> trial versions.
> --

I just downloaded a complete version of QuarkXpress

MyNews

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softonic

it helps to put a link up so we all can get Info!

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ieegm4$k1i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Was wondering if this site is acceptable for downloading programs? Just
> came across it today, not sure if the site can be trusted.......... any
> opinions?

Aardvark

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 01:02:38 -0500, don wrote:

>> Supposed to be one of the top 1000 sites in the world. As with any
>> download, you are always at risk. Before running any software scan it
>> for virus.

> Why is a site that offers free downloads of "non-free" software legal?
> just wondering

'Non-free' isn't the same as 'pay for'. Try using Google to find out the
difference.

Mike Easter

don wrote:
> Was wondering if this site is acceptable for downloading programs? Just
> came across it today, not sure if the site can be trusted.......... any
> opinions?

Softonic is a major downloading portal. There is no reason you can't
believe what is available to be read at their site and about them in
many different places.

Such sites try to avoid providing software which includes malware, but
the primary responsibility lies with the downloader.

It's not like you can come in here and ask if the site is acceptable and
then just blindly and carelessly install downloaded software if 'we'
tinw say the site is what it purports to be.

There are many thousands of ways and places to get software. You have to
be careful about the 'reliable' ones just like you do the
suspicious/funky ones.

Some corporate security managers do not allow the installation of *any*
downloaded software, regardless of source, which would include softonic.

--
Mike Easter

richard

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 01:02:38 -0500, don wrote:

>> Supposed to be one of the top 1000 sites in the world.
>> As with any download, you are always at risk. Before running any software
>> scan it for virus.

> Why is a site that offers free downloads of "non-free" software legal?
> just wondering

Licensing by the distributors or author. There are several types of
licenses.
"Freeware" is made free by the author and the license used in creating that
software.

MyNews

Evan Platt You includes lying to your Posting!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 06:58:58 -0600, "MyNews" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softonic
>>
>>it helps to put a link up so we all can get Info!

> Floffy / hottext, I think we're (tinw) all smart enough to figure out
> it's Softonic.com . You, on the other hand, obviously aren't.

Floffy
Author and Book Title Search Results
No authors found.No
book titles found.
Encyclopedia Search Results
No encyclopedia articles found.
Did you mean: Fluffy
No standard web pages containing all your search terms were found.
Your search - Floffy - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:
Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.

> --
> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
> address.

But on

Hot-Text quit get page!

For we have Classifieds
Please send your questions, comments,
or bug reports to the Webmaster.
I have Games,
Karaoke,
UPLOAD and my MINPIN Dogs.
Come by and see it all here on Hot-Text ...
http://hot-text.ath.cx