Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why Linux Sux #18,998,000

Why Linux Sux #18,998,000

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???

Ok...

So I think i'm smart.... I've been a network admin for over 14 years
now...handling enterprise level windows / cisco networks, routers,
firewalls, networking...etc. You name it...I've done it all...

And then comes linux...
The final frontier,...when you finally get bored with knowing everything
all the time.

I download the distro, install it... immediately I have errors...
(CENTOS 4.5)..
So what do I do ?..I switch into super tech mode, bust out the google,
stay up till 3 am every night reading wiki after wiki, forum after
forum......resolving the issues one by one. 1 week later I have a
semi-stable system with "less" errors...but.... WITH NO SOUND !... and
now I want to break something, because a desktop IS NOT a desktop UNLESS
you can play music and video's on it !!!!

WTF !!!!!!!

so i'm thinking to myself......

If this seems a bit complicated, for me..... why in the hell would any
non-technical end-user type individual ever be inclined to want to even
try a linux distro once they've experienced windows ? How could these
distro- developers ever expect a "non-geek", to be able to use this
thing ?

Case in point....

If I want to install ...for example... Google earth... On windows, you
download and open the file....click "I agree".. next, next ,next,
finish....VIOLA !!!!!...you've got a working program...

On LINUX !..... let's see.... which is it... yum.... sudo... apt-get
....xxxxxx.... make , make config, make install, ... blah blah blah......
Oh and don't forget to check your video drivers...then tweak some conf
files... read a few rambling wiki's and forums....and if you're lucky
you have a working application before the sun comes up !

Linux SUCKS !... but I guess you get what you pay for...
--
All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ ranted:

> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
> Ok...
> so i'm thinking to myself......
> If this seems a bit complicated, for me.....

You obviously need Windows. Stick with it.

--
-bts

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:34:17 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ ranted:
>
>> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
>> Ok...
>> so i'm thinking to myself......
>> If this seems a bit complicated, for me.....

>You obviously need Windows. Stick with it.

I will Shaggy, just like the vast majority of the rest of the world.

sittingduck

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:

> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???

It's really only lame for desktop use. Works great for some, but it can be a
bit limited as far as what it can easily do.

For servers, linux is superior.

--
Rationality belongs to the cool observer, but because of the stupidity of the
average man, he follows not reason but faith - Reinhold Niebuhr

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ ranted:
>>> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
>>> Ok...
>>> so i'm thinking to myself......
>>> If this seems a bit complicated, for me.....

>> You obviously need Windows. Stick with it.

> I will Shaggy, just like the vast majority of the rest of the world.

That's just fine with me, Altie. The more of you Windows users there
are, the less my superior operating system becomes a target.

--
-bts
-Linux viruses: a few dozen, and they only exist in the lab

Meat Plow

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:10:35 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ ranted:
>>>
>>> You obviously need Windows. Stick with it.

>> I will Shaggy, just like the vast majority of the rest of the world.

> That's just fine with me, Altie. The more of you Windows users there
> are, the less my superior operating system becomes a target.

LOL!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Meat Plow wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:

>>> I will Shaggy, just like the vast majority of the rest of the world.

>> That's just fine with me, Altie. The more of you Windows users there
>> are, the less my superior operating system becomes a target.

> LOL!

<bows/>

--
-bts

Meat Plow

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:19:12 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> That's just fine with me, Altie. The more of you Windows users there
>>> are, the less my superior operating system becomes a target.

>> LOL!

> <bows/>

ENCORE!

monkeywintest

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
> You have to be an 31!te GEEK, to grasp it ???
>
> Ok...
>
> So I think i'm smart.... I've been a network admin for over 14 years
> now...handling enterprise level windows / cisco networks, routers,
> firewalls, networking...etc. You name it...I've done it all...
>
> And then comes linux...
> The final frontier,...when you finally get bored with knowing everything
> all the time.
>
> I download the distro, install it... immediately I have errors...
> (CENTOS 4.5)..
> So what do I do ?..I switch into super tech mode, bust out the google,
> stay up till 3 am every night reading wiki after wiki, forum after
> forum......resolving the issues one by one. 1 week later I have a
> semi-stable system with "less" errors...but.... WITH NO SOUND !... and
> now I want to break something, because a desktop IS NOT a desktop UNLESS
> you can play music and video's on it !!!!
>
> WTF !!!!!!!
>
> so i'm thinking to myself......
>
> If this seems a bit complicated, for me..... why in the hell would any
> non-technical end-user type individual ever be inclined to want to even
> try a linux distro once they've experienced windows ? How could these
> distro- developers ever expect a "non-geek", to be able to use this
> thing ?
>
> Case in point....
>
> If I want to install ...for example... Google earth... On windows, you
> download and open the file....click "I agree".. next, next ,next,
> finish....VIOLA !!!!!...you've got a working program...
>
> On LINUX !..... let's see.... which is it... yum.... sudo... apt-get
> ...xxxxxx.... make , make config, make install, ... blah blah blah......
> Oh and don't forget to check your video drivers...then tweak some conf
> files... read a few rambling wiki's and forums....and if you're lucky
> you have a working application before the sun comes up !
>
> Linux SUCKS !... but I guess you get what you pay for...
> --

So this is the first time you tried to use linux? And you picked an
enterprise distribution, that is a huge download to boot. Download and
burn PcLinux mininime edition. Like 440 MB and run it from your cd
drive for a while. Or the regular KDE 2010 version if you want video
and music utilities out of the box, should have no issues. Install if
you like it. The PCLInux community and forum is very organized
friendly and helpful.