Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Dealing with pywin32 on Linux

Re: Dealing with pywin32 on Linux

Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens

Am 15.12.2010 13:58, schrieb Benedict Verheyen:
> Hi,
>

> I'm moving my development environment (python, Django, virtualenv) from Windows
> to Linux (Debian more specific). However, on one app (uses Django), i have a log on
> module that uses AD to authenticate users.
> It's based on the active_directory wrapper of Tim Golden.
> That needs the win32 module but installation of pywin32 fails on importing:
>
> import _winreg
> ImportError: No module named _winreg
>
> Kind of logical in hindsight
>
> However, this makes programming and testing under Linux a bit of a pain if you're
> dealing with Windows specific stuff.
> What is the correct way to proceed (i want to keep my development environment in Linux)?
>
> I could adjust my software modules to use the Linux counterparts of the AD functions
> that i have to authenticate.
> Or is there another way to deal with this?
>
> Thanks for any insight,
>
> Cheers,
> Benedict

Just change to LDAP as authentication method.
Even Active Directory offers LDAP (w/o SSL), and there
are modules to interact with LDAP using python.
And, it is platform indipendent.

See here: http://www.python-ldap.org/

I've done this quite often to auth users in an AD with apache/ldap-auth.