Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JINI question

JINI question

john gresh

What is the current conventional wisdom on the use of JINI? Is there
any reason I should or should not balk at a project that uses it?

Thanks,
John

markspace

On 12/14/2010 10:50 AM, john gresh wrote:
> What is the current conventional wisdom on the use of JINI? Is there
> any reason I should or should not balk at a project that uses it?

I certainly don't think you should balk at a project that uses it.
There are reasons to use it and reasons to not use it.

Generally it depends on analysis of business requirements. But in
general: if you're already using it, use it. If you have a large
website that you want more control over, use it. If you have technical
people capable of understanding it and maintaining it, use it.

If you are just starting out, have a small website, have limited
potential for rapid growth and have no full time technical staff, then
I'd consider eschewing it.

markspace

On 12/14/2010 2:21 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:

> Bah, you wrote JINI, but I read JNI

Yeah I actually read the OP as "JNDI". It looks like JINI is something
totally different. I don't know anything about it, I guess I'd be a
little suspicious just because I haven't heard of it before. It doesn't
seem to be truly mainstream.

Arne Vajh°j

On 14-12-2010 17:36, markspace wrote:
> On 12/14/2010 2:21 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:
>> Bah, you wrote JINI, but I read JNI

> Yeah I actually read the OP as "JNDI". It looks like JINI is something
> totally different. I don't know anything about it, I guess I'd be a
> little suspicious just because I haven't heard of it before. It doesn't
> seem to be truly mainstream.

It was pretty hot about 8 years ago.

It died out I think.

Apache got it now.

Back then someone saw it as having potential to become
a distributed alternative to Java EE.

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 14-12-2010 13:50, john gresh wrote:
> What is the current conventional wisdom on the use of JINI? Is there
> any reason I should or should not balk at a project that uses it?

It is not widely used.

SUN gave it to Apache.

I think activity is very low.

Not particular attractive to base ones code on.

But I am not aware of a good replacement, so you may
be stuck with it.

Arne

Lew

Arne Vajh├Şj wrote:
> It was pretty hot about 8 years ago.
>
> It died out I think.
>
> Apache got it now.
>
> Back then someone saw it as having potential to become
> a distributed alternative to Java EE.

That's one way to look at it. There are some niches where JINI is still
active. It's a totally cool idea that never really took off, but should've.
Maybe because people saw "NCIS" and thought it said "CSI" and didn't look
further. (s/NCIS/JINI/, s/CSI/JNI/)

--
Lew
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Tom Anderson

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, markspace wrote:

> On 12/14/2010 2:21 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:
>
>> Bah, you wrote JINI, but I read JNI

> Yeah I actually read the OP as "JNDI".

I did read both of your posts and wonder if i knew even less about Jini
than i knew i knew.

> It looks like JINI is something totally different. I don't know
> anything about it, I guess I'd be a little suspicious just because I
> haven't heard of it before. It doesn't seem to be truly mainstream.

It was a research project that came out of Sun labs a long, long time ago.
It seemed very well done, but it seemed to be a solution in search of a
problem. It occupies a space somewhere in between mDNS, Jabber, Hadoop and
maybe some other things. I'd be interested to know of a problem to which
it was the best solution; interested, and perhaps a little surprised.

tom

--
Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.

Arne Vajh°j

On 15-12-2010 00:48, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> On 14-12-2010 13:50, john gresh wrote:
>>> What is the current conventional wisdom on the use of JINI? Is there
>>> any reason I should or should not balk at a project that uses it?

>> It is not widely used.
>>
>> SUN gave it to Apache.
>>
>> I think activity is very low.
>>
>> Not particular attractive to base ones code on.
>>
>> But I am not aware of a good replacement, so you may
>> be stuck with it.

> The Apache JINI project, Apache River, is now quite active. We've been
> working mainly on quality and testing, and preparing for graduation from
> the Apache Incubator to being a top level project. See
> http://incubator.apache.org/river/.

Sorry.

I was just looking at the release frequency:
http://archive.apache.org/dist/incub...iver/binaries/

I have no knowledge about the internal level of activity.

Arne

NYJavaSIG - Jini/JavaSpaces presentations posted Frank D. Greco Java 0 05-10-2004 05:20 AM
NYJavaSIG - 04/14 Meeting - Jini/JavaSpaces and WebServices Frank D. Greco Java 0 04-03-2004 05:23 PM
Is JINI dead? Albert Deinbeck Java 5 02-22-2004 11:21 AM
Register Now for the 7th Jini Community Meeting Krishna Tyner Java 0 02-17-2004 09:31 PM
Using Jini for Print Services Bill Atkins Java 0 08-02-2003 05:48 PM

Advertisments