Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hourglass And Arrow Cursor After Booting Up ?

Hourglass And Arrow Cursor After Booting Up ?

Bob

Hello,

Using W7.

First time this happened.
As is typical apparently, it will probably happen again, and would like
to learn about what might be the cause beforehand.

I turn on the PC, and it boots up normally.
All the Desktop items are there, and in place.

But 2 anomolies:

First, the arrow cursor does not appear; only the a hourglass cursor
which does not go away. Stays that way indefinitely.

Why might this be ?

But, if I move the cursor (now the hourglass) into any portion of the
desktop that is the first third of it in a horiz. direction, it turns
into the arrow.

If I move the arrow back horizontally into the righthand 2/3 of the
desktop, it turns back to the hourglass.

Vertical positioning has no changes; it's only the horiz. position that
results in the hourglass going to the arrow icon.

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks,
Bob

philo

On 12/11/2010 11:43 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using W7.
>
> First time this happened.
> As is typical apparently, it will probably happen again, and would like
> to learn about what might be the cause beforehand.
>
> I turn on the PC, and it boots up normally.
> All the Desktop items are there, and in place.
>
> But 2 anomolies:
>
> First, the arrow cursor does not appear; only the a hourglass cursor
> which does not go away. Stays that way indefinitely.
>
> Why might this be ?
>
> But, if I move the cursor (now the hourglass) into any portion of the
> desktop that is the first third of it in a horiz. direction, it turns
> into the arrow.
>
> If I move the arrow back horizontally into the righthand 2/3 of the
> desktop, it turns back to the hourglass.
>
> Vertical positioning has no changes; it's only the horiz. position that
> results in the hourglass going to the arrow icon.
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Have you made any recent changes to your system?
Perhaps installed some software or a Windows update.

If so, uninstall whatever it was.
Then reboot.

To be on the safe side , you might as well run a virus scan as well.

If all else fails, perform a System Restore prior to the point where you
had the problem...then if that solves it...
carefully monitor an future changes to your system

RickMerrill

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using W7.
>
> First time this happened.
> As is typical apparently, it will probably happen again, and would like
> to learn about what might be the cause beforehand.
>
> I turn on the PC, and it boots up normally.
> All the Desktop items are there, and in place.
>
> But 2 anomolies:
>
> First, the arrow cursor does not appear; only the a hourglass cursor
> which does not go away. Stays that way indefinitely.
>
> Why might this be ?

It might be because you have 1 or more(!) items that insert
themselves in the startup list then try to update themselves
upon every reboot!

If several contend for certain resources, it can Feel like Forever.
So, what is the longest time you have actually waited?

> But, if I move the cursor (now the hourglass) into any portion of the
> desktop that is the first third of it in a horiz. direction, it turns
> into the arrow.
>
> If I move the arrow back horizontally into the righthand 2/3 of the
> desktop, it turns back to the hourglass.

Yes, that is weird, but it is possible that the cursor 'hovers' over one of the
updates in progress so its presence cannot be acknowledged by the busy process,
thus giving you the hourglass, again!

> Vertical positioning has no changes; it's only the horiz. position that
> results in the hourglass going to the arrow icon.
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

how to tell if cursor is sqlite.Cursor or psycopg2.Cursor dmaziuk Python 3 01-25-2011 04:52 AM
Hourglass ('wait') cursor causes IE to crash =?Utf-8?B?QkQgSm9uZXM=?= ASP .Net 0 10-26-2004 04:05 PM
cursor to hourglass Andy G ASP .Net 3 10-21-2004 08:59 PM
Hourglass cursor in swing Ike Java 4 01-28-2004 09:26 PM
Hourglass cursor of IE =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBaaGFuZw==?= ASP .Net 0 01-22-2004 08:46 PM

Advertisments