Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python distribution recommendation?

Python distribution recommendation?

Octavian Rasnita

Hi,

Is there a "recommended" Python distribution for Windows XP?

I know about the one that can be downloaded from python.org (which I am using for the moment) and the one offered by ActiveState but I don't know which one is better for a beginner nor if there are other distributions available.

I am especially interested in creating MS Windows apps with Python.

Thanks.

Octavian

Lie Ryan

On 12/11/10 23:43, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a "recommended" Python distribution for Windows XP?
>
> I know about the one that can be downloaded from python.org (which I am using for the moment) and the one offered by ActiveState but I don't know which one is better for a beginner nor if there are other distributions available.
>
> I am especially interested in creating MS Windows apps with Python.

ActiveState comes with more third party libraries, if you're developing
python and do not want to install those libraries yourself, they're the
way to go to. However, if you only need to use standard libraries, or
want to target the broadest possible platforms with very little
dependencies, then you should use python.org's version.