Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Webtop development

Webtop development

carmelo

Hi everybody,
I would like to develop a webtop on which running desktop-like web
applications. What do you think is the best technology for this
purpose? What about GWT?

Arne Vajh°j

On 10-12-2010 05:31, carmelo wrote:
> I would like to develop a webtop on which running desktop-like web
> applications. What do you think is the best technology for this
> purpose? What about GWT?

GWT is absolutely a possibility.

If you want to write Java code, then it may even be the best
option.

Arne

carmelo

> GWT is absolutely a possibility.
>
> If you want to write Java code, then it may even be the best
> option.

Thank you for your answer Arne.

Do you know ExtGWT too?

I'm thinking about hiring a GWT programmer, could you be interested?
Please contact me on csaffi [at] tiscali(dot)com

Arne Vajh°j

On 10-12-2010 09:46, carmelo wrote:
>> GWT is absolutely a possibility.
>>
>> If you want to write Java code, then it may even be the best
>> option.

> Thank you for your answer Arne.

np

BTW, it is not just my opinion - check:

http://static.raibledesigns.com/repo...Devoxx2010.pdf

> Do you know ExtGWT too?

No.

My understanding is that it is a library on top of GWT.

You can try it and see if it matches.

> I'm thinking about hiring a GWT programmer, could you be interested?

No.

Arne

markspace

On 12/10/2010 2:31 AM, carmelo wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I would like to develop a webtop on which running desktop-like web
> applications. What do you think is the best technology for this
> purpose? What about GWT?

What exactly is "webtop"? You mean a web app that acts like a desktop
app, with JavaScript pop-ups dialogs and such?

I agree with Arne that Java itself should at least be considered. Is
there a reason why you think Java wouldn't work but a browser would?
With all the compatibility issues among different browsers (IE in
particular), I think I'd rather use Java. You could just embed an
applet in the web page and use that exclusively.