Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google Maps changed?

Google Maps changed?

Matty F

I used to be able to see section boundaries when using Google Maps.
Now allI see are the house numbers and the streets and nothing else.
Can anyone see the boundaries? They are lines around each section.

Simon

On Dec 10, 11:10*pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I used to be able to see section boundaries when using Google Maps.
> Now allI see are the house numbers and the streets and nothing else.
> Can anyone see the boundaries? They are lines around each section.

I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

Matty F

On Dec 11, 10:23 am, Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 10, 11:10 pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I used to be able to see section boundaries when using Google Maps.
> > Now allI see are the house numbers and the streets and nothing else.
> > Can anyone see the boundaries? They are lines around each section.

> I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
> boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
> and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
> incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
nothing about it.
However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
their permission.

Murray Symon

Matty F wrote:

> On Dec 11, 10:23 am, Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Dec 10, 11:10 pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > I used to be able to see section boundaries when using Google Maps.
>> > Now allI see are the house numbers and the streets and nothing else.
>> > Can anyone see the boundaries? They are lines around each section.

>> I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
>> boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
>> and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
>> incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

> Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
> nothing about it.
> However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
> The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
> of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
> didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
> though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
> their permission.

Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
be correct than Google.

Matty F

On Dec 11, 3:51 pm, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Matty F wrote:

> >> I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
> >> boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
> >> and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
> >> incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

> > Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
> > nothing about it.
> > However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
> > The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
> > of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
> > didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
> > though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
> > their permission.

> Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
> section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
> be correct than Google.

I managed to find the property map. The stroppy neighbour doesn't want
anybody to check where the boundary peg is.

peterwn

wrote:
> Matty F wrote:

> >> I believe google have changed to a different supplier of maps. The
> >> boundary information disappeared mid-November if I remember correctly,
> >> and since then I've also noticed some street names have been
> >> incorrectly labelled, that were previously correct.

> > Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
> > nothing about it.
> > However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
> > The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
> > of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
> > didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
> > though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
> > their permission.

> Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
> section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
> be correct than Google.

Boundary overlays on aerial photographs are not guaranteed accurate.

In this instance an expediient way of bringing the issue to a head is
to throw a fencing notice at the far side neighbour.

Matty F

On Dec 12, 2:46 pm, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 3:51 pm, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Matty F wrote:

> > > Well that's a pain. I looked in the Google Maps help and they say
> > > nothing about it.
> > > However I managed to find the boundary plan for my neighbours and me.
> > > The neighbour on the far side seems to have taken over about 10 metres
> > > of my elderly neighbour's property and is putting rubbish on it. He
> > > didn't like me measuring up to try to find the boundary peg, even
> > > though I stayed entirely on my immediate neighbour's property with
> > > their permission.

> > Check your local council's website. Some have the property maps with
> > section boundaries available freely online. They are more likely to
> > be correct than Google.

> Boundary overlays on aerial photographs are not guaranteed accurate.
>
> In this instance an expediient way of bringing the issue to a head is
> to throw a fencing notice at the far side neighbour.

Good idea. Unfortunately the reason that I want to check the boundary
pegs is that someone has removed my corner peg. So I want to measure
from the next peg along, which is on the corner of the stroppy
neighbour's land but not anywhere near my land.
My section has seven sides to it and slopes up to 60 degrees, so
measurements are not easy. It's covered in bush and I need to wear
abseiling gear and try to keep the measuring tape clear of trees.

Sweetpea

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:05:03 -0800, Matty F wrote:

> Good idea. Unfortunately the reason that I want to check the boundary
> pegs is that someone has removed my corner peg. So I want to measure
> from the next peg along, which is on the corner of the stroppy
> neighbour's land but not anywhere near my land. My section has seven
> sides to it and slopes up to 60 degrees, so measurements are not easy.
> It's covered in bush and I need to wear abseiling gear and try to keep
> the measuring tape clear of trees.

Why on earth did you buy such rough undeveloped land?

Matty F

On Dec 12, 7:55 pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:05:03 -0800, Matty F wrote:
> > Good idea. Unfortunately the reason that I want to check the boundary
> > pegs is that someone has removed my corner peg. So I want to measure
> > from the next peg along, which is on the corner of the stroppy
> > neighbour's land but not anywhere near my land. My section has seven
> > sides to it and slopes up to 60 degrees, so measurements are not easy.
> > It's covered in bush and I need to wear abseiling gear and try to keep
> > the measuring tape clear of trees.

> Why on earth did you buy such rough undeveloped land?

Well you should know me, it was cheap! I always like a bargain.
It's currently valued at about $1200 per square metre.

Matty F

On Dec 12, 8:40 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:29:37 -0800 (PST), Matty F
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Why on earth did you buy such rough undeveloped land?

> >Well you should know me, it was cheap! I always like a bargain.
> >It's currently valued at about $1200 per square metre.

> I am wondering how accurate your measurements are going to be as you
> absei through the bush tape measure in hand and if the ground is so
> rough and steep are you ever going to want to put a fence along that
> boundary?

I need to get within a metre or so of the boundary pegs so I can find
them. They are usually covered in plants and soil.
I want to put a fence up so the neighbours know where the boundary is.
Then the contractors that they hire are less likely to spray and kill
my trees or throw their tree cuttings on my property like they've been
doing for years. I have to pay to dump their rubbish.
I need to have trees on my property to hold the steep bank up, OK?