Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 Explorer issues

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows 7 Explorer issues

 
 
wilby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
I have Win 7/64 pro running on a desktop. My concern is about Win
Explorer and how it decides what information columns will be displayed
in a folder.

I realize that there are about six choices based on what type of data I
have for that folder. There are however many optional choices I can
choose from.

For example: If I choose "music" Explorer decides that I want to see
name, type, #, album, etc. Naturally I don't have the same opinions and
would like to see length, bit rate, modified date, etc.

I don't mind setting up one folder the way I want it but I do really
dislike the fact that I cannot copy the folder settings to another
folder, or even better, to have every sub folder match the settings of
an upper folder.

I'd even accept being to edit the music folder settings so that choosing
music would give me what I want rather than what some bozo at MS decided
I wanted.

Can anyone help?

Wilby
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
glee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
"wilby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ids63t$74h$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I have Win 7/64 pro running on a desktop. snip
> Can anyone help?


Windows 7 Forums
http://www.sevenforums.com/

--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
CompTIA A+
http://dts-l.net/

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Meddick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
We're in an XP discussion group - so I'm not going to comment on Win7
(can't anyway as I have only briefly used that OS).

But the function of which you are referring to, I believe, exists also in
XP.

And in XP, when you select the "Customize" tab, from a folder's
"Properties" page, and select in the section :
"What kind of folder do you want?"

"Use this folder type as a template :
"

....then you're supposed to select an option from the drop-down menu from
items like :

"Documents (for any file type)"
"Pictures (best for many files)"
"Music (best for audio files and playlists)"
etc., etc., etc.,

....ends up accomplishing..........nothing!

(in my experience anyway)

And even when you spend an hour setting the headings up manually (for all
your music folders, say) it all comes to dust when Windows forgets the lot
by the end of the month!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.




"wilby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ids63t$74h$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I have Win 7/64 pro running on a desktop. My concern is about Win Explorer
>and how it decides what information columns will be displayed in a folder.
>
> I realize that there are about six choices based on what type of data I
> have for that folder. There are however many optional choices I can
> choose from.
>
> For example: If I choose "music" Explorer decides that I want to see
> name, type, #, album, etc. Naturally I don't have the same opinions and
> would like to see length, bit rate, modified date, etc.
>
> I don't mind setting up one folder the way I want it but I do really
> dislike the fact that I cannot copy the folder settings to another
> folder, or even better, to have every sub folder match the settings of an
> upper folder.
>
> I'd even accept being to edit the music folder settings so that choosing
> music would give me what I want rather than what some bozo at MS decided
> I wanted.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Wilby


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dominic Payer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
Right click on the folder's header, where the column names are
displayed, and you will see a list of items you can display.

Check or uncheck the names and choose the ones you want.



On 10/12/2010 03:17, wilby wrote:
> I have Win 7/64 pro running on a desktop. My concern is about Win
> Explorer and how it decides what information columns will be displayed
> in a folder.
>
> I realize that there are about six choices based on what type of data I
> have for that folder. There are however many optional choices I can
> choose from.
>
> For example: If I choose "music" Explorer decides that I want to see
> name, type, #, album, etc. Naturally I don't have the same opinions and
> would like to see length, bit rate, modified date, etc.
>
> I don't mind setting up one folder the way I want it but I do really
> dislike the fact that I cannot copy the folder settings to another
> folder, or even better, to have every sub folder match the settings of
> an upper folder.
>
> I'd even accept being to edit the music folder settings so that choosing
> music would give me what I want rather than what some bozo at MS decided
> I wanted.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Wilby

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Meddick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
For God's sake - I thought it was obvious that the OP knows how to do that
as he describes "manually" setting the column-headers!

But the issue here is - does the setting under the "Customize" tab of a
folder's "Properties" page, make a damn bit of difference?

When you select, say, "Music (best for audio files and playlists)" from the
drop-down menu on the "Customize" tab, isn't it *supposed* so make that
folder's headings relevant to Music files?

Well I have never seen a link between a folder's headings and that setting
in the "Customize" tab! In fact, I've ALWAYS had to set headings manually!

And what is more important - Windows forgets all the heading customizations
within about a month (...or two at the outside).

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.




"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:idshnv$g82$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Right click on the folder's header, where the column names are displayed,
> and you will see a list of items you can display.
>
> Check or uncheck the names and choose the ones you want.
>
>
>
> On 10/12/2010 03:17, wilby wrote:
>> I have Win 7/64 pro running on a desktop. My concern is about Win
>> Explorer and how it decides what information columns will be displayed
>> in a folder.
>>
>> I realize that there are about six choices based on what type of data I
>> have for that folder. There are however many optional choices I can
>> choose from.
>>
>> For example: If I choose "music" Explorer decides that I want to see
>> name, type, #, album, etc. Naturally I don't have the same opinions and
>> would like to see length, bit rate, modified date, etc.
>>
>> I don't mind setting up one folder the way I want it but I do really
>> dislike the fact that I cannot copy the folder settings to another
>> folder, or even better, to have every sub folder match the settings of
>> an upper folder.
>>
>> I'd even accept being to edit the music folder settings so that choosing
>> music would give me what I want rather than what some bozo at MS decided
>> I wanted.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Wilby


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Gaines
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
On 10/12/2010 in message <idsq4l$k5b$(E-Mail Removed)> Tim Meddick wrote:

>And what is more important - Windows forgets all the heading
>customizations within about a month (...or two at the outside).


XP can only count to 400:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderviews.htm

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Meddick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
That's not the point,

You can change the default number of customizations that the Window's Shell
"remembers" by changing the setting under Customizations in the XP
TweakUI.exe applet.

However, after researching the mechanics of the change, I discovered that
this setting, along with all the data for the "remembered" folder headings
and styles, are kept in the registry under a key that is of low priority,
and is little more than a temporary cache!

The data here is discarded at the drop-of-a-hat (one of those being a
crash, for example), and all of the folder preferences with it!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.


P.S. For your further information; the reg-key in question is :

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\UserAssist]

Also, along with TweakUI.exe having the choice of setting the number of
remembered folders from the default 4000 to whatever, the 3rd-party
"FreshUI.exe" has also got a provision for it too.


TweakUI.exe (for XP) (150Kb)
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

FreshUI.exe (1.5MB)
http://www.freshdevices.com/contact.html


"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10/12/2010 in message <idsq4l$k5b$(E-Mail Removed)> Tim Meddick
> wrote:
>
>>And what is more important - Windows forgets all the heading
>>customizations within about a month (...or two at the outside).

>
> XP can only count to 400:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderviews.htm
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
> If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is


 
Reply With Quote
 
Harden Thicke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
Than why are you posting in a Windows XP newsgroup?
"wilby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ids63t$74h$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I have Win 7/64 pro running on a desktop. My concern is about Win Explorer
>and how it decides what information columns will be displayed in a folder.
>
> I realize that there are about six choices based on what type of data I
> have for that folder. There are however many optional choices I can choose
> from.
>
> For example: If I choose "music" Explorer decides that I want to see name,
> type, #, album, etc. Naturally I don't have the same opinions and would
> like to see length, bit rate, modified date, etc.
>
> I don't mind setting up one folder the way I want it but I do really
> dislike the fact that I cannot copy the folder settings to another folder,
> or even better, to have every sub folder match the settings of an upper
> folder.
>
> I'd even accept being to edit the music folder settings so that choosing
> music would give me what I want rather than what some bozo at MS decided I
> wanted.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Wilby



 
Reply With Quote
 
wilby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
On 12/10/2010 3:37 AM, Tim Meddick wrote:
> That's not the point,
>
> You can change the default number of customizations that the Window's
> Shell "remembers" by changing the setting under Customizations in the XP
> TweakUI.exe applet.
>
> However, after researching the mechanics of the change, I discovered
> that this setting, along with all the data for the "remembered" folder
> headings and styles, are kept in the registry under a key that is of low
> priority, and is little more than a temporary cache!
>
> The data here is discarded at the drop-of-a-hat (one of those being a
> crash, for example), and all of the folder preferences with it!
>
> ==
>
> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.
>
>
> P.S. For your further information; the reg-key in question is :
>
> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\UserAssist]
>
> Also, along with TweakUI.exe having the choice of setting the number of
> remembered folders from the default 4000 to whatever, the 3rd-party
> "FreshUI.exe" has also got a provision for it too.
>
>
> TweakUI.exe (for XP) (150Kb)
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe
>
>
> FreshUI.exe (1.5MB)
> http://www.freshdevices.com/contact.html
>
>
> "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 10/12/2010 in message <idsq4l$k5b$(E-Mail Removed)> Tim Meddick
>> wrote:
>>
>>> And what is more important - Windows forgets all the heading
>>> customizations within about a month (...or two at the outside).

>>
>> XP can only count to 400:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderviews.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
>> If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

>


Tim:

Thanks for the suggestions. I now see that Windows doesn't work any
better in London than it does in the states.

I'm sure that there is some way to edit the default "music" setting.
That way I could have at least a default choice that does what I want.

If I ever find it I'll post it.

Thanks!

Wilby

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Meddick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2010
The very best of good luck to you!

I'd be pleased if you'd let me know of any progress you made along those
lines....

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.




"wilby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:idtmti$95a$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 12/10/2010 3:37 AM, Tim Meddick wrote:
>> That's not the point,
>>
>> You can change the default number of customizations that the Window's
>> Shell "remembers" by changing the setting under Customizations in the XP
>> TweakUI.exe applet.
>>
>> However, after researching the mechanics of the change, I discovered
>> that this setting, along with all the data for the "remembered" folder
>> headings and styles, are kept in the registry under a key that is of low
>> priority, and is little more than a temporary cache!
>>
>> The data here is discarded at the drop-of-a-hat (one of those being a
>> crash, for example), and all of the folder preferences with it!
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London.
>>
>>
>> P.S. For your further information; the reg-key in question is :
>>
>> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\UserAssist]
>>
>> Also, along with TweakUI.exe having the choice of setting the number of
>> remembered folders from the default 4000 to whatever, the 3rd-party
>> "FreshUI.exe" has also got a provision for it too.
>>
>>
>> TweakUI.exe (for XP) (150Kb)
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe
>>
>>
>> FreshUI.exe (1.5MB)
>> http://www.freshdevices.com/contact.html
>>
>>
>> "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On 10/12/2010 in message <idsq4l$k5b$(E-Mail Removed)> Tim Meddick
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> And what is more important - Windows forgets all the heading
>>>> customizations within about a month (...or two at the outside).
>>>
>>> XP can only count to 400:
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderviews.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
>>> If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

>>

>
> Tim:
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I now see that Windows doesn't work any
> better in London than it does in the states.
>
> I'm sure that there is some way to edit the default "music" setting. That
> way I could have at least a default choice that does what I want.
>
> If I ever find it I'll post it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Wilby
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Nathan Sokalski Windows 64bit 16 02-22-2010 08:31 AM
Windows XP Pro clean install issues, SP2 issues too... Howie Computer Support 9 07-12-2005 04:47 PM
Windows XP Pro clean install issues, SP2 issues too... Howie Computer Support 0 07-06-2005 07:12 PM
Re: Windows XP Pro clean install issues, SP2 issues too... pcbutts1 Computer Support 0 07-06-2005 04:58 PM
Re: Windows XP Pro clean install issues, SP2 issues too... pcbutts1 Computer Support 0 07-06-2005 04:52 PM



Advertisments