Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem with debug watch with "empty" web project in solution

Problem with debug watch with "empty" web project in solution

Brad

When debugging my current web project, in VS2003, I found I had lost the
ability to drill down on watch objects in the Watch Window; I could only
view the single value specific watch objects.

Here's what I discovered. In addition to my main web project and several
middle tier projects, I also added an "empty" web project in my solution
(Add - New Project - Empty Web Project). This empty web project is what is
causing the above problem. If I remove the empty project or alternately add
code so that something will compile in it then watch objects in debug work
correctly.

I created the "empty" project so my solution could include a "project" to
manage (add, delete, update from VS2003) items in root web folder which
contains all of my shared items, such as style sheets, images, client
script, etc.....but this project contains no .Net code (no assembly,
global.asax, aspx or bin.) I had also set my solution config so the Shared
project is not included in the builds ( I am not trying to debug anything
in the "empty" project)

Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm miss using VS so I thought I'd post this
to see what feedback I might get.

Thanks

Brad

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

Thanks for posting in the community!
From your description, you have a solution which contains many projects one
ASP.NET web projects, some other component projects, also and empty project
which used to mapping the IIS sever's root folder and put some static
materials in it. HOwever, you found when F5 debug the project(ASP.NET
project, ?) the watcher didn't work correctly, you can't dill down a
complex instance to view its members . And this problem disappeared when
you remove the empty project, yes?

As for this problem, I've tested as you descibed on my side, I have an
existing ASP.NET web project, now I added a empty project as you mentioned
and it's url is the IIS'sever's root folder. I only put one css style sheet
in it. Then I starting F5 debug in the ASP.NET project as normal but it
seems that the problem dosen't occur. So would you please try out the
following steps:
1. Try creating a new solution and then add two projects , one ASP.NET and
another empty project as you mentioned . Then try test on it to see whether
the problem can be repro?

2. Try the step in #1 on some other machine which has VS2003 and IIS
installed to see whether the problem remains. If not, you may have a check
to see whether there're any differences .

Please try out the above steps and let me know if you have any updates.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Brad

Steven -
#1 per your instructions and reproduced problem. Removed the "empty" project
and debug worked correctly.

#2 per your instructions and reproduced problem on 4 different machines.
Removed the "empty" project and debug worked correctly.

Machine 1
VS2003 enterprise architect
OS win2003 standard server

Machine 2
VS2003 enterprise architect
OS win2003 standard server

Machine 3
VS2003 enterprise architect
OS XP Pro

Machine 4
VS2003 enterprise architect
OS XP Pro

- Brad

news:MgCvnPD$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Brad,
>

> Thanks for posting in the community!
> From your description, you have a solution which contains many projects

one
> ASP.NET web projects, some other component projects, also and empty

project
> which used to mapping the IIS sever's root folder and put some static
> materials in it. HOwever, you found when F5 debug the project(ASP.NET
> project, ?) the watcher didn't work correctly, you can't dill down a
> complex instance to view its members . And this problem disappeared when
> you remove the empty project, yes?
> If there is anything I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.
>
> As for this problem, I've tested as you descibed on my side, I have an
> existing ASP.NET web project, now I added a empty project as you mentioned
> and it's url is the IIS'sever's root folder. I only put one css style

sheet
> in it. Then I starting F5 debug in the ASP.NET project as normal but it
> seems that the problem dosen't occur. So would you please try out the
> following steps:
> 1. Try creating a new solution and then add two projects , one ASP.NET and
> another empty project as you mentioned . Then try test on it to see

whether
> the problem can be repro?
>
> 2. Try the step in #1 on some other machine which has VS2003 and IIS
> installed to see whether the problem remains. If not, you may have a check
> to see whether there're any differences .
>
> Please try out the above steps and let me know if you have any updates.
>

> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
>
> Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your followup and the test results you provided. Since the
problem you described is able to be repro on different envs. Would you
please attached a simple project(simple enought to repro the problem) and
the detailed steps to repro the problem. Thus, I'll try to have a further
troubleshoot on my side.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Brad

Steps to reproduce problem.

1) Start VS2003

2) Click Help - About Microsoft Development Environment.
Confirm you are using Visual Studio 7.1.3088 with Framework 1.1.4322

3) From the menu select
File - New Project
In the New Project dialog select - Visual Basic Projects -
ASP.NET Web Application
Accept the default name of WebApplication1
4) In the Solution Explorer, right click WebForm1.aspx and select to view
code (WebForm1.aspx should have be created as part of the project).

5) In the code view right click on the End Sub line of Page_Load as select
to Insert Breakpoint.

6) Start the VS debugger - (from the menu) Debug - Start

7) When VS pauses at the break point click on the first line of the Watch
window. If the watch window is not displayed, from the menu Debug -
Windows - Watch - Watch 1

In the first cell of the Watch 1 window enter "Request". You should see a
+ (plus sign) to the left of "Request". If you click on the + you should
be able to drill down on the Request object. This cofirms that drill down
works to this point. You can end the debug session.

From the menu select
File - New Project
In the New Project dialog select - Visual Basic Projects - Empty
Web Project
Make sure "Add to solution" is selected
Accept the default name of WebProject1
Your solution should now contain two projects: WebApplication1
and WebProject1

9) Repeat the debugging steps 6 and 7 (you should still have a breakpoint
on End Sub of Page_Load)
However, this time when you click on the + next to "Request" in the Watch 1
window there will be no drill down and the + sign will disappear.
To reconfirm this, remove Request from the Watch 1 window. Add it back in
as described in step 7. Again when you attempt to drill down by clicking on
+ the drill down will not work.

10) Remove the empty "WebProject1" from the solution. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
The drill down on items in the Watch 1 window will now work again.

Note: It does not matter what object you attempt to watch, the results will
be the same.

Brad

news$B#YVQ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Brad,
>
> Thanks for your followup and the test results you provided. Since the
> problem you described is able to be repro on different envs. Would you
> please attached a simple project(simple enought to repro the problem) and
> the detailed steps to repro the problem. Thus, I'll try to have a further
> troubleshoot on my side.
>

> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
>
> Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your further infos especially the repro steps. I've repro the
problem on my side. Currently, we are
finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Brad

Reposting this as it hasn't shown up on the newsgroup since original post on
2/27

[...]

From the menu select
File - New Project
In the New Project dialog select - Visual Basic Projects - Empty
Web Project
Make sure "Add to solution" is selected
Accept the default name of WebProject1
Your solution should now contain two projects: WebApplication1
and WebProject1

9) Repeat the debugging steps 6 and 7 (you should still have a breakpoint
on End Sub of Page_Load)
However, this time when you click on the + next to "Request" in the Watch 1
window there will be no drill down and the + sign will disappear.
To reconfirm this, remove Request from the Watch 1 window. Add it back in
as described in step 7. Again when you attempt to drill down by clicking on
+ the drill down will not work.

10) Remove the empty "WebProject1" from the solution. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
The drill down on items in the Watch 1 window will now work again.

Note: It does not matter what object you attempt to watch, the results will
be the same.

Brad

news$B#YVQ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Brad,
>
> Thanks for your followup and the test results you provided. Since the
> problem you described is able to be repro on different envs. Would you
> please attached a simple project(simple enought to repro the problem) and
> the detailed steps to repro the problem. Thus, I'll try to have a further
> troubleshoot on my side.
>

> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
>
> Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

After further testing, we acknowledge this is appears to be a bug and we
will try to get it fixed in a future service pack. Also I'm sorry for any
inconvenience bring to you. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support