Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: OT: Heatpump installation

Re: OT: Heatpump installation

Donchano

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:24:17 +1300, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>With heatpumps - should the outdoor unit be bolted to the ground or is it ok
>for it to just stand there under it's own weight?
>
>It will be held to the house by the various pipes - but the actual unit
>would be just standing on the ground held only down by gravity.
>
>Doesn't sound like a good idea to me?

Nor me. If there's any vibration it could loosen the pipes.

In any case, we're getting a quote for a heatpump next Tuesday and
I'll ask the guy when he comes out to check our place out.

William Brown

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:28:00 +1300, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:24:17 +1300, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>With heatpumps - should the outdoor unit be bolted to the ground or is it ok
>>for it to just stand there under it's own weight?
>>
>>It will be held to the house by the various pipes - but the actual unit
>>would be just standing on the ground held only down by gravity.
>>
>>Doesn't sound like a good idea to me?

>Nor me. If there's any vibration it could loosen the pipes.
>
>In any case, we're getting a quote for a heatpump next Tuesday and
>I'll ask the guy when he comes out to check our place out.

Be Very careful as I got 4 different stories on were to install the
header plus they did not tell me that most header need to be 60mm from
the ceiling..

The one Shop/firm that told me the facts could not even sell me one as
they did not sell the Fujisu brand..

Far to many cowboys out there..

Donchano

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:10:57 +1300, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:28:00 +1300, Donchano
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:24:17 +1300, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>
>>>With heatpumps - should the outdoor unit be bolted to the ground or is it ok
>>>for it to just stand there under it's own weight?
>>>
>>>It will be held to the house by the various pipes - but the actual unit
>>>would be just standing on the ground held only down by gravity.
>>>
>>>Doesn't sound like a good idea to me?

>>Nor me. If there's any vibration it could loosen the pipes.
>>
>>In any case, we're getting a quote for a heatpump next Tuesday and
>>I'll ask the guy when he comes out to check our place out.

>Be Very careful as I got 4 different stories on were to install the
>header plus they did not tell me that most header need to be 60mm from
>the ceiling..
>

>The one Shop/firm that told me the facts could not even sell me one as
>they did not sell the Fujisu brand..
>

>Far to many cowboys out there..

Too true. And we are very careful about picking our tradesmen and,
once we've found ones we trust, we make sure our bills are paid
promptly so the next time we need them they are happy to oblige.

But to start with we ask around and get recommendations - positive and
negative. In this case I contacted the firm that got the best
recommendation and asked them to look at the room (master bedroom),
make their recommendations and give us a quote.

After that I will contact at least two - maybe three - of the other
recommended firms and repeat the process. In some cases, I find major
differences with what we're told. In others, it simply comes down to
who we feel comfortable with.

As we discovered with painters on a previous property, the cheapest
quote doesn't always equate with the best result.