Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A new type of scam.

Reply
Thread Tools

A new type of scam.

 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:19:26 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>>Donchano wrote:
>>> Do you have Caller ID on you phone? When we get a call from any
>>> "Private Caller" whose voice we don't recognise (a neighbour who's a
>>> solo mum with two teen girls blocks her number on all calls by
>>> default) we simply say, "We don't accept calls from annonymous
>>> callers. Goodbye." Saves a lot of time.

>>We don't answer "private" or "unlisted" calls at all. We just let them ring.

>
>There are good reasons why a legitimate caller will be "unlisted". eg
>Medical Centres will often be unlisted to preserve patient
>confidentiality. They may merely be ringing to inform someone of their
>lab test results, but the fact that there has been contact between a
>doctor and patient is confidential and should not be divulged to other
>members of the household. Caller ID does divulge that.


Yep. And I reckon that if telecom and their ilk want to charge others for
access to that information (when it costs them nothing), then they should
give at least some of that money to me. If they don't (no, they don't )
then why should I make that information available ?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
On 9/12/2010 10:18 a.m., victor wrote:

> It might be important to you but not to them.
> I never bother with caller ID at home, but I do use the last caller *52
> on TC if I miss a call. Plenty of calls I want to take come up as
> private. Most govt departments, my wife's employment, my mum, other
> businesses, paying customers, relatives in top secret jobs. Once you
> have one regular call who has their number blocked, then the others look
> the same.


They can unblock it to call or they get treated the same, which is to
not get to talk to me, or leave a message.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
On 9/12/2010 10:08 a.m., Malcolm Moore wrote:

> It's entirely possible you have received messages on behalf of others
> in your household, however that is because they have given their prior
> consent.
> If that consent is not given then you will not be contacted and so
> your claim that your doctor doesn't bother with such niceties is a
> nonsense, you have no way of knowing
>
> If your doctor is ignoring such guidelines, give her your best wishes
> if she is hauled before the Medical Council, but please don't
> recommend your lawyer to her.
>
> You may also like to read my reply to WorkHard.


I have given them my phone number to call on. If there was an issue with
someone else answering that number I didnt want to be informed, then I
wouldnt have given the number to them.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> On 9/12/2010 10:08 a.m., Malcolm Moore wrote:
>
>> It's entirely possible you have received messages on behalf of others
>> in your household, however that is because they have given their
>> prior consent.
>> If that consent is not given then you will not be contacted and so
>> your claim that your doctor doesn't bother with such niceties is a
>> nonsense, you have no way of knowing
>>
>> If your doctor is ignoring such guidelines, give her your best wishes
>> if she is hauled before the Medical Council, but please don't
>> recommend your lawyer to her.
>>
>> You may also like to read my reply to WorkHard.

>
> I have given them my phone number to call on. If there was an issue
> with someone else answering that number I didnt want to be informed,
> then I wouldnt have given the number to them.


The medical practice that I go to is good. They know that I mostly live
alone and I gave them my landline (and cell) as contacts. They leave me a
message on my TAM if I'm not hame or don't get to the phone in time.

However, when I had a house-guest here who was using the same practice there
was a call for her on my landline and I said that she wasn't here, could I
tell her who's calling please? (My SOP when someone calls for a friend /
guest so that they can call them back if it's urgent.) They said sorry, no,
does she have a cell phone and, if not, when would be a good time to call to
speak with her?

I found out it was them when she told me later. Also, no, it wasn't a
"sensitive issue" either, just mundane appointment-confirmation (for a
non-sensitive consult).
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:19:26 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> Donchano wrote:
>>>> Do you have Caller ID on you phone? When we get a call from any
>>>> "Private Caller" whose voice we don't recognise (a neighbour who's
>>>> a solo mum with two teen girls blocks her number on all calls by
>>>> default) we simply say, "We don't accept calls from annonymous
>>>> callers. Goodbye." Saves a lot of time.
>>> We don't answer "private" or "unlisted" calls at all. We just let
>>> them ring.

>>
>> There are good reasons why a legitimate caller will be "unlisted". eg
>> Medical Centres will often be unlisted to preserve patient
>> confidentiality. They may merely be ringing to inform someone of
>> their lab test results, but the fact that there has been contact
>> between a doctor and patient is confidential and should not be
>> divulged to other members of the household. Caller ID does divulge
>> that.

>
> Yep. And I reckon that if telecom and their ilk want to charge others
> for
> access to that information (when it costs them nothing), then they
> should
> give at least some of that money to me. If they don't (no, they don't
> )
> then why should I make that information available ?


LOL! I had just about finsihed the thread and thought "nobody seems to have
my reasons for having a 'blocked number'" then I saw your reply.

I felt exactly the same when caller ID first started to be available in NZ.
I rang Telecom and gave them my take on it, (similar to yours) and said that
if they wanted to give me free caller ID that was fine, otherwise I wouldn't
allow them to charge for displaying my number. They blocked my number and
I've left it the same since.

However folks with 0800 numbers still get to see my number which ****es me
off.
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
> On 8/12/2010 9:14 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
>> I had someone ring me up and claim that they had the contract to
>> support "the computer in your house". Well, we have five of them. I
>> didn't believe a word of it so I asked her what the model number and
>> serial number of the supported computer was and she just hung up!

>
> The Mrs got something similar the other day and just hung up on them.
> Unfortunately I wasn't home, I would have loved to string them along.


Hearing this makes me pleased that I disable 'remote assistance / desktop'
on any Windows box that I set up for rubes.
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
On 08/12/10 11:23, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 8/12/2010 9:14 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
>> I had someone ring me up and claim that they had the contract to
>> support "the computer in your house". Well, we have five of them. I
>> didn't believe a word of it so I asked her what the model number
>> and serial number of the supported computer was and she just hung
>> up!

>
> Pretty obvious, wouldn't you say?
>

Of course but I'd have been interested in knowing the angle. A URL that
lets them? A house visit to case the joint? An 'upgrade' support offer?
Software?

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
On 9/12/2010 7:00 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> However folks with 0800 numbers still get to see my number which ****es me
> off.


They are paying for it so they should see it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
On 9/12/2010 7:01 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
>> On 8/12/2010 9:14 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
>>> I had someone ring me up and claim that they had the contract to
>>> support "the computer in your house". Well, we have five of them. I
>>> didn't believe a word of it so I asked her what the model number and
>>> serial number of the supported computer was and she just hung up!

>>
>> The Mrs got something similar the other day and just hung up on them.
>> Unfortunately I wasn't home, I would have loved to string them along.

>
> Hearing this makes me pleased that I disable 'remote assistance / desktop'
> on any Windows box that I set up for rubes.


Does that affect third party tools like logmein and gotomypc etc?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2010
Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4cfe958d$1
@news.actrix.co.nz:

> I had someone ring me up and claim that they had the contract to support
> "the computer in your house". Well, we have five of them. I didn't
> believe a word of it so I asked her what the model number and serial
> number of the supported computer was and she just hung up!
>
> Cheers,


Old School
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4EPcOpSy8


--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
type(d) != type(d.copy()) when type(d).issubclass(dict) kj Python 5 12-26-2010 06:48 PM
Javascript new-new-new-new-newbee weblinkunlimited@gmail.com Javascript 2 03-11-2008 01:15 AM
#define ALLOCIT(Type) ((Type*) malloc (sizeof (Type))) Yevgen Muntyan C Programming 10 02-13-2007 02:52 AM
Re: Type casting- a larger type to a smaller type pete C Programming 4 04-02-2004 05:19 PM
Re: Type casting- a larger type to a smaller type heyo C Programming 3 04-01-2004 06:35 PM



Advertisments