Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Assign file to stdout problem

Assign file to stdout problem

Tim Rentsch

Seebs <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 2011-01-02, Tim Rentsch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Seebs <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Posts listing the address as "(E-Mail Removed)" from "aioe.org"
>>> are presumptively trolls.

>> The responded-to posting (which was snipped) did not deserve
>> this response.

> Yes it did. Whether or not the poster was a troll, his choice of an
> invalid address, his choice of a Usenet provider, and his choice of question
> happened to precisely match the pattern of a large number of recent spams.

The question was perfectly reasonable and a quite legitimate query.
It was not spam. As for the rest, unless the same question was
posted many times in a short period, they are irrelevant. That
didn't happen with this question.

> If he wasn't a troll, he would benefit from knowing this. If he was,
> there was no point in any other response.

If he is a troll, he doesn't care about your comments. If he
isn't a troll, they very well may drive him (and others) away
from the newsgroup. The downside far outweighs the upside.

> Did he respond at any point to anything in the thread? [snip]

After your asshole response, why would he?

>> Get off your high horse.

> Haven't got one.

Your comments prove otherwise. If you want to play
moderator, take it out on comp.lang.c.moderated.

Seebs

On 2011-01-04, Tim Rentsch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The question was perfectly reasonable and a quite legitimate query.
> It was not spam. As for the rest, unless the same question was
> posted many times in a short period, they are irrelevant. That
> didn't happen with this question.

*Substantively* identical includes, say, a dozen similar questions
posted by the same troll.

> If he is a troll, he doesn't care about your comments. If he
> isn't a troll, they very well may drive him (and others) away
> from the newsgroup. The downside far outweighs the upside.

If he is a troll, being identified rather than getting nibbles
makes it less fun. If he isn't, it's useful to him to know why
people are ignoring him.

>> Did he respond at any point to anything in the thread? [snip]

> After your asshole response, why would he?

I don't buy this "argument" at all. I was not being "an asshole".
I was telling him factually that his posts contained things which
would cause other participants to assume he was a troll. If he were
not a troll, this would be information of value to him. If he were,
he'd disappear until he could figure out a way to post without those
tells.

> Your comments prove otherwise.

No, they don't.

And *plonk*. No amount of technical knowledge you have makes me feel
like putting up with you making up bullshit about my intent or internal
state.

-s