Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FREEVIEW problems

FREEVIEW problems

Bruce Sinclair

In article <4cfb1375$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:56:00 +1300, Enkidu<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> What's a VCR? I looked it up and the only VCR I can find is "Video
>>> Cassette Recorder", but you can't mean those - they went out years ago.

>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
>>

>The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.

... hmmm ... so if we have a VCR/DVD recorder ??

We still have VCs ... but admit I haven't watched them for a while. Maybe I
should transfer them to DVD ? Seems fair.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
> On 4/12/2010 10:14 p.m., William Brown wrote:
>>

>> What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
>> are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

> Not their problem

Why do 'they' call them "set-top boxes" when they won't balance on my TV
set? Am I supposed to get brackets for the LCD or buy a second-hand CRT TV?
Will they work if they're not on top of the "set" I wonder?
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 5/12/2010 7:12 p.m., William Brown wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:51:00 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Is that why you can't cope with modern AV equipment?

>> No I am a Engineer and have developed the stuff, so get Totally
>> lost..

> When did a mainframe engineer develop a VCR? As usual you're more
> full of **** than a long drop Roger Sheppard.

I bet his eyes are brown.
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:

>>> Not their problem

>> Why do 'they' call them "set-top boxes" when they won't balance on
>> my TV set? Am I supposed to get brackets for the LCD or buy a
>> second-hand CRT TV? Will they work if they're not on top of the
>> "set" I wonder?

> Because when they first came out in the US before large screen TVs
> they sat on top of the TV.

So, because of US history the folks who are promoting Freeview in NZ chose
to use a now-nonsense name for the (Chinese made) decoders? Wow, it seems
that we really are largely a nation of sheep.

> I guess they don't teach you these things
> in school these days..

I wouldn't know, my next birthday will be my 50th and I'm not a
schoolteacher.
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Crash McBash wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 20:47:25 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:

>>> Not their problem

>> Why do 'they' call them "set-top boxes" when they won't balance on
>> my TV set? Am I supposed to get brackets for the LCD or buy a
>> second-hand CRT TV? Will they work if they're not on top of the
>> "set" I wonder?

> Yeah - and how do them TVs work that claim to have 'Freeview built in'
> but there is no visible built-in set-top-box? Mine works but maybe
> that because its a plasma.

Heh! It's a puzzle. One that other, more literal-thinking, humour-challenged
contributers to this OT thread seem to have trouble grasping.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

victor

On 7/12/2010 11:26 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:

>>> Why do 'they' call them "set-top boxes" when they won't balance on
>>> my TV set? Am I supposed to get brackets for the LCD or buy a
>>> second-hand CRT TV? Will they work if they're not on top of the
>>> "set" I wonder?

>> Because when they first came out in the US before large screen TVs
>> they sat on top of the TV.

> So, because of US history the folks who are promoting Freeview in NZ chose
> to use a now-nonsense name for the (Chinese made) decoders? Wow, it seems
> that we really are largely a nation of sheep.

I think it's just Woger who calls them that, but obviously the second
unit would have to be a VCR top box.
Freeview calls them digital receivers.

Gordon

On 2010-12-07, Bruce Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:
> In article <idk117$par$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>>I think it's just Woger who calls them that, but obviously the second
>>unit would have to be a VCR top box.
>>Freeview calls them digital receivers.

> .. but they are actually decoders aren't they ?

However they have to receive to decode yes?

Anyhow in a few years time all TV's will have them and media players in
them, so the question will not arise.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <idk117$par$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>I think it's just Woger who calls them that, but obviously the second
>unit would have to be a VCR top box.
>Freeview calls them digital receivers.

... but they are actually decoders aren't they ?
<sigh>

victor

On 7/12/2010 6:16 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article<idk117$par$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>> I think it's just Woger who calls them that, but obviously the second
>> unit would have to be a VCR top box.
>> Freeview calls them digital receivers.

> .. but they are actually decoders aren't they ?
> <sigh>

All receivers have decoders in them
<sigh>

Richard

On 7/12/2010 8:56 p.m., victor wrote:

> All receivers have decoders in them
> <sigh>

And tuners and encoders and controllers etc.

to call them decoders is like calling a car an engine.