Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FREEVIEW problems

FREEVIEW problems

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:56:00 +1300, Enkidu<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> What's a VCR? I looked it up and the only VCR I can find is "Video
>>> Cassette Recorder", but you can't mean those - they went out years ago.

>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
>>

>The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.

Eh ... do you regard "thinking" as one of your stronger points..??

>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

Enkidu

On 05/12/10 17:40, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300,
> Enkidu<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:

>>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
>>>

>> The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes
>> to DVD.

> Eh ... do you regard "thinking" as one of your stronger points..??

What other use would there be?

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

William Brown

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:51:00 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:12:06 +1300, William Brown wrote:
>
>>>You don't actually need 2 boxes, but if you are going to the trouble you
>>>might as well get one of the boxes with dual tuners and a HDD, record 2
>>>channels while you watch something you recorded previously, way better
>>>that a VCR don't you think. Time to upgrade to the 21st century!

>> And way beyond what most older people can handler.

>Is that why you can't cope with modern AV equipment?

No I am a Engineer and have developed the stuff, so get Totally lost..

William Brown

wrote:

>On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:56:00 +1300, Enkidu<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> What's a VCR? I looked it up and the only VCR I can find is "Video
>>> Cassette Recorder", but you can't mean those - they went out years ago.

>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
>>

>The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

And to Record Analog TV and Cable TV, seem you know bugger all.

Like most here.

William Brown

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:40:31 +1300, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:

>>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
>>>

>>The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.

>Eh ... do you regard "thinking" as one of your stronger points..??

He has not at all.

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Cliff

Enkidu

On 05/12/10 19:14, William Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300, Enkidu<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 05/12/10 13:25, William Brown wrote:

>>> No you are totally wrong the are still being sold
>>>

>> The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes to DVD.

> And to Record Analog TV and Cable TV, seem you know bugger all.

But when there is no "analog TV" there will be no need of a VCR for
recording TV. Therefore the only use will be to pirate tapes to DVD.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Richard

On 4/12/2010 10:14 p.m., William Brown wrote:

> What they are telling every one you need a set top box, but what they
> are not telling you is if you have a VCR you need 2 set top boxes.

They also dont seem to mention that you need AV inputs on the TV to use
a STB, or that you need to have a television to start with.

Funnily enough, on the going digital site, one of the options is that
you dont have a television.

One problem I have with that site is it tells everyone they need a UHF
antenna, even those that put an address in right under the transmission
site, which IMO may drive more people to sky because of the lower
install costs that it has.

Sweetpea

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 19:12:28 +1300, William Brown wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:51:00 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:12:06 +1300, William Brown wrote:
>>> And way beyond what most older people can handler.

>>Is that why you can't cope with modern AV equipment?

> No I am a Engineer and have developed the stuff, so get Totally lost..

We know you were an "engineer" way back in the middle of last century
when valve-based computers with the power of modern pocket calculators
occupied entire floors the size of city blocks.

It is no surprise that you get "Totally lost" as a result.

Sweetpea

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 20:33:00 +1300, EMB wrote:

>> No I am a Engineer and have developed the stuff, so get Totally lost..
>>

> When did a mainframe engineer develop a VCR?

The answer, of course, is that he didn't.

Tape based video recording technology was first demonstrated by Bing
Crosby Enterprises in the USA in 1951. Ampex "Quadruplex" Video Tape
Recorders were first used commercially for Television in 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotape

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_tape_recorder

http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ampe...-vtr-1956.html

Craig Sutton

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4cfb2253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 05/12/10 17:40, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:22:13 +1300,

>>> The only reason I can think of for owning a VCR is to pirate tapes
>>> to DVD.

>> Eh ... do you regard "thinking" as one of your stronger points..??
>>

> What other use would there be?

Somewhere warm for the cat to lay

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5674 (20101204) __________

http://www.eset.com