Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer too full?

Computer too full?

Bertie Doe

Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's
getting seriously slow. It's got over 1 million files,
it regularly hangs up (if that's the correct
description). To end task, Widows Task Manager,
sometimes takes a couple of minutes to load!!

I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in
saying that the above files are contained in Folders?
How will I recognise the wheat from the chaff?

Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How
would I recognise the file-name.

Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the
wrong forum) when everything was in dos, I could
understand it a bit, but overtime Windows has made me
lazy. TIA
Bertie

Meat Plow

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:24:16 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:

> Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting seriously
> slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up (if that's
> the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager, sometimes
> takes a couple of minutes to load!!
>
> I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the above
> files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat from the
> chaff?
>
> Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
> the file-name.
>
> Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
> when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
> Windows has made me lazy. TIA
> Bertie

You'll get a shitload of answers to this one but the best possible answer
is find someone who knows a lot about tweaking/trimming/streamlining/
pruning Windows. Sit down with them and tell them what you want to keep.

If you try it yourself you'll be back asking for help retrieving deleted
files and programs.

joevan

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:24:16 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>it regularly hangs up (if that's the correct

You might need to call on fearless Dan. the big dummy that posts
garbage here.

Old Gringo38

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:24:16 -0000, Bertie Doe wrote:

> Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's
> getting seriously slow. It's got over 1 million files,
> it regularly hangs up (if that's the correct
> description). To end task, Widows Task Manager,
> sometimes takes a couple of minutes to load!!
>
> I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in
> saying that the above files are contained in Folders?
> How will I recognise the wheat from the chaff?
>
> Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How
> would I recognise the file-name.
>
> Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the
> wrong forum) when everything was in dos, I could
> understand it a bit, but overtime Windows has made me
> lazy. TIA
> Bertie

Besides the million files, do you or have you done preventative
maintenance on the computer, such as disk clean up and
defragmentation? This can work wonders even though you have a million
files. Here is a handy tool to get you started:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download Clean up your files and
registry. Here is a fast, and simple defrag:
http://www.vcsoftwares.com/SpeeDefrag.html
Good Luck.
--
12/1/2010 7:02:36 AM CST
Just West Of Nowhere

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bertie Doe wrote:

> Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting
> seriously slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up
> (if that's the correct description). To end task, Widows Task
> Manager, sometimes takes a couple of minutes to load!!

When was the last time you did a complete virus scan? An anti-spyware
scan?

> I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the
> above files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat
> from the chaff?

Everything is contained in "folders" (otherwise known as "directories").

> Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I
> recognise the file-name.

Do you know how to use Windows Explorer? Are you using Windows XP? You
don't want to be willy-nilly deleting folders, as selecting the wrong
one could render the computer dead, requiring reinstalling the operating
system.

> Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
> when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
> Windows has made me lazy. TIA Bertie

Sounds as if you need a basic course in how to operate Windows. And no,
Usenet is not the best place to learn such basic tools.

--
-bts

Dan C

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:24:16 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:

> Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting seriously
> slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up (if that's
> the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager, sometimes
> takes a couple of minutes to load!!
>
> I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the above
> files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat from the
> chaff?
>
> Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
> the file-name.
>
> Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
> when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
> Windows has made me lazy. TIA
> Bertie

Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this is to format the
hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may tell you here in
this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it done.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he cut his initials in the snow.

Old Gringo38

On 01 Dec 2010 14:12:24 GMT, Dan C wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:24:16 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:
>
>> Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting seriously
>> slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up (if that's
>> the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager, sometimes
>> takes a couple of minutes to load!!
>>
>> I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the above
>> files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat from the
>> chaff?
>>
>> Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
>> the file-name.
>>
>> Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
>> when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
>> Windows has made me lazy. TIA
>> Bertie

> Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this is to format the
> hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may tell you here in
> this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it done.

ROTF Oh Dan
--
12/1/2010 8:28:39 AM CST

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:29:08 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

> On 01 Dec 2010 14:12:24 GMT, Dan C wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:24:16 +0000, Bertie Doe wrote:
>>
>>> Had my Dell Dimension 2400 for about 2 years and it's getting
>>> seriously slow. It's got over 1 million files, it regularly hangs up
>>> (if that's the correct description). To end task, Widows Task Manager,
>>> sometimes takes a couple of minutes to load!!
>>>
>>> I need to do some surgery, but how?? Am I right in saying that the
>>> above files are contained in Folders? How will I recognise the wheat
>>> from the chaff?
>>>
>>> Prior to deleting a Folder, how would I open it? How would I recognise
>>> the file-name.
>>>
>>> Sorry about these basic questions (I may even be in the wrong forum)
>>> when everything was in dos, I could understand it a bit, but overtime
>>> Windows has made me lazy. TIA
>>> Bertie

>> Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this is to format the
>> hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may tell you here in
>> this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it done.

> ROTF Oh Dan

Another 'classic' Dan "Revenge Prick" C useless reply.

Old Gringo38

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 14:36:41 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:29:08 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

>>> Yes, it's too "full". The *ONLY* way to correct this is to format the
>>> hard drive, regardless of what some other morons may tell you here in
>>> this newsgroup. Save yourself some time and get it done.

>> ROTF Oh Dan

> Another 'classic' Dan "Revenge Prick" C useless reply.

Funny how they all seem to be that way.
--
12/1/2010 9:35:57 AM CST

"Meat Plow" < wrote in message >

> You'll get a shitload of answers to this one but the
> best possible answer
> is find someone who knows a lot about
> tweaking/trimming/streamlining/
> pruning Windows. Sit down with them and tell them
> what you want to keep.
>
> If you try it yourself you'll be back asking for help
> retrieving deleted
> files and programs.

There used to be a local guy who charged £35 (+parts)
whether it took 10mins or all day. Managed to save the
wife's old Time PC, couple of years ago.
Sadly he now has a proper 9-5 job. !