Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > No News Is Bad News

No News Is Bad News

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Worth comparing the crowing that Microsoft is doing over Kinect sales with
its silence on how well Windows Phone 7 is doing
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/wp7-and-the-f-word/10562>. The
implication is clear...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mutley wrote:

> Didn't you predict that a few weeks ago??

I was expecting Windows Phone 7 to get off to a credible start, then fall
behind as Android continued to evolve faster. I wasn’t expecting it to be a
flop from the get-go.

Nathan Mercer

On Dec 3, 10:57*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mutley wrote:
>
> > Didn't you predict that a few weeks ago??

> I was expecting Windows Phone 7 to get off to a credible start, then fall
> behind as Android continued to evolve faster. I wasn’t expecting it to be a
> flop from the get-go.

its far too early to call Windows Phone 7 a flop or a failure...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Nathan
Mercer wrote:

> its far too early to call Windows Phone 7 a flop or a failure...

The fact remains, though, that Microsoft has shown no hesitation in crowing
about the millions of Kinect controllers it has sold in such a short time,
while remaining completely silent on how Windows Phone 7 phones have been
selling over a somewhat longer time.

Sweetpea

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:49:41 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> its far too early to call Windows Phone 7 a flop or a failure.

Indeed. Massively disappointing sales performance so far. The great Micro
$oft marketing and publicity machine hasn't finished trying to save it
yet.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <id94nl$284$(E-Mail Removed)>, I wrote:

> I was expecting Windows Phone 7 to get off to a credible start, then
> fall behind as Android continued to evolve faster. I wasn’t expecting
> it to be a flop from the get-go.

Well, I suppose you could say it got off to a semi-credible start
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-more-than-15-million-windows-phone-7s-sold-to-date/8259>.

That’s about 36000 activations per day, versus the 300000 per day that
Google is currently claiming for Android. So basically Microsoft’s share
of the total smartphone market is in the single percentage figures.

David Empson

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

> In message <id94nl$284$(E-Mail Removed)>, I wrote:
>
> > I was expecting Windows Phone 7 to get off to a credible start, then
> > fall behind as Android continued to evolve faster. I wasn't expecting
> > it to be a flop from the get-go.

> Well, I suppose you could say it got off to a semi-credible start
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...llion-windows-
> phone-7s-sold-to-date/8259>.

[Note for clarity, as the text in the URL is misleading: the claimed
figure is 1.5 million sales in the first six weeks.]

> That's about 36000 activations per day, versus the 300000 per day that
> Google is currently claiming for Android. So basically Microsoft's share
> of the total smartphone market is in the single percentage figures.

As per the update to the article, Microsoft is pulling their usual trick
of counting shipments to retailers or carriers as "sales".

No information has been supplied about actual sales to end users (apart
from MS's claim of 40000 sold on launch day), hence WP7 probably has an
even smaller share of the smartphone market than "36000 per day".

Won't be easy to tell until independent figures are provided.

For comparison, Google's and Apple's "activiations" figures relate to
devices being activated by end users, and Apple's quarterly unit sales
figures are sales to end users.

--
David Empson

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <1jtwmhj.1vcllr1tm24pzN%(E-Mail Removed)>, David Empson
wrote:

> As per the update to the article, Microsoft is pulling their usual trick
> of counting shipments to retailers or carriers as "sales".

I was being generous.

victor

> In message<1jtwmhj.1vcllr1tm24pzN%(E-Mail Removed). nz>, David Empson
> wrote:
>
>> As per the update to the article, Microsoft is pulling their usual trick
>> of counting shipments to retailers or carriers as "sales".

> I was being generous.

What have you done with the real LDO ?