Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NIC no workee

NIC no workee

wabbit

I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers. The
computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an expansion
card or the built in to the motherboard variety. And both times no
amount of adding another NIC (or even a dialup modem for that matter)
gets it to show up in device manager. One was running Vista the other
XP, but I doubt it's the OS at fault. On one machine I even wiped the hd
and reinstalled the OS trying to get a network card to work.

The only way I could get these computers networked again was to add a
USB > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard NICs
stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion card type
NIC?

Dan C

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:37:00 -0500, wabbit wrote:

> I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers. The
> computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an expansion
> card or the built in to the motherboard variety. And both times no
> amount of adding another NIC (or even a dialup modem for that matter)
> gets it to show up in device manager. One was running Vista the other
> XP, but I doubt it's the OS at fault. On one machine I even wiped the hd
> and reinstalled the OS trying to get a network card to work.
>
> The only way I could get these computers networked again was to add a
> USB > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard NICs
> stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion card type
> NIC?

You need to format the hard drive to correct this (common) problem.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet refused to give him some Pooh-tang.

wabbit

On 11/30/2010 10:36 PM, Dan C wrote:
>> On one machine I even wiped the hd
>> and reinstalled the OS trying to get a network card to work.

> You need to format the hard drive to correct this (common) problem.

Thank you Dan for both the advice and reading comprehension.

Dan C

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:38:11 -0500, wabbit wrote:

> On 11/30/2010 10:36 PM, Dan C wrote:

>>> On one machine I even wiped the hd
>>> and reinstalled the OS trying to get a network card to work.

>> You need to format the hard drive to correct this (common) problem.

> Thank you Dan for both the advice and reading comprehension.

Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

Didn't think so.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he hacked up a hairball.

Peter Foldes

> On 01 Dec 2010 04:29:23 GMT, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

> "I even wiped the hd"
>
>>Didn't think so.

> Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
> someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
> their hard drive.

Evan

Reason the arshole is doing it because he is a Linux user and advocate. A Troll by other means

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

John Holmes

Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

**** off, Evan.

--
<snip>

Brian Cryer

"wabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4cf5b4cf$0$17471$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) eb.com...
> I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers. The
> computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an expansion
> card or the built in to the motherboard variety. And both times no amount
> of adding another NIC (or even a dialup modem for that matter) gets it to
> show up in device manager. One was running Vista the other XP, but I doubt
> it's the OS at fault. On one machine I even wiped the hd and reinstalled
> the OS trying to get a network card to work.
>
> The only way I could get these computers networked again was to add a USB
> > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard NICs

> stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion card type
> NIC?

Sorry, no experience of this. I'm sure you've checked this, but out of
curiosity is the NIC listed under "Network adapters" in Device Manager? If
it was then would deleting it from there and letting Device Manager do a
rescan help?
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Meat Plow

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:48:58 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On 01 Dec 2010 04:29:23 GMT, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

> "I even wiped the hd"
>
>>Didn't think so.

> Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
> someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
> their hard drive.

Blinded by revenge. He gets his ass handed to him so often he takes his
revenge out on anyone.

Mike Easter

wabbit wrote:
> I've run into this twice in recent times on two different computers. The
> computer suddenly no longer can see the LAN card, whether an expansion
> card or the built in to the motherboard variety.

Does 'the computer can ... no longer see the' NIC mean that during the
POST that -1- the mobo integrated NIC doesn't even show and -2- the PCI
card NIC doesn't show and -3- the PCI card NIC also doesn't show when
moved to a different PCI slot and -4- that the PCI card NIC can be
demonstrated to work in another machine.

Or is your investigation limited to what the OS can see as alluded in
the next 'device manager' sentence and the PCI card NIC was never proven
to work in another different machine?

> And both times no amount of adding another NIC (or even a dialup
> modem for that matter) gets it to show up in device manager. One was
> running Vista the other XP, but I doubt it's the OS at fault.

Besides watching the POST and even pausing during the POST, another
strategy is to boot up a linux live CD to see how it does with
discovering the hardware.

> On one machine I even wiped the hd and reinstalled the OS trying to
> get a network card to work.

If that didn't need to be done for some other reason, it wasn't as
useful as the BIOS or a live CD would be.

> The only way I could get these computers networked again was to add a
> USB > ethernet adapter which works ok. Anyone know why the onboard NICs
> stopped working and the computer won't recognize any expansion card type
> NIC?

I would have to personally observe the troubleshooting which included a
proven known good NIC to begin to guess. NICs die all the time.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Yetto

Peter Foldes <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>> On 01 Dec 2010 04:29:23 GMT, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah. Where does it say that you *formatted* the drive?

>> "I even wiped the hd"
>>
>>>Didn't think so.

>> Damn, you're such a "format your hard drive" idiot that even when
>> someone says they formatted their hard drive, you tell them to format
>> their hard drive.

>Evan

>Reason the arshole is doing it because he is a Linux user and advocate. A Troll by other means

The reason he trolls any group he's in is because he's a troll.
Are you clueless because you use windows? After all RtS also
uses Windows.

Mike "is it flawed logic if it isn't logic at all?" Yetto
In practice they are not.