Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > D-Link DSL-G604T

D-Link DSL-G604T

Pete Kennedy

Hi,

Back in June, I bought a D-Link DSL-G604T modem/router and because it was
noisy when the the dsl line was connected (it made a high-pitched hissing
noise), I sent it back. D-Link then sent me another but this one failed to
"find" the dsl telephone line so I sent that one back too. So D-Link sends
me another and lo-and-behold, I have the same problem ! If I recall rightly,
the first router found the dsl connection (the light on the router lit up)
and then it was up to me the configure the connection so I was up and
running fairly quickly. I find it hard to believe that 2 routers can have
the same problem so I wonder if its something I'm missing. The LAN works
fine by the way.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Cheers

Peter

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Pete Kennedy <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi,
>
> Back in June, I bought a D-Link DSL-G604T modem/router and because it
> was noisy when the the dsl line was connected (it made a high-pitched
> hissing noise), I sent it back. D-Link then sent me another but this
> one failed to "find" the dsl telephone line so I sent that one back
> too. So D-Link sends me another and lo-and-behold, I have the same
> problem ! If I recall rightly, the first router found the dsl
> connection (the light on the router lit up) and then it was up to me
> the configure the connection so I was up and running fairly quickly.
> I find it hard to believe that 2 routers can have the same problem so
> I wonder if its something I'm missing. The LAN works fine by the way.
>
> Anyone have any ideas ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter

Do you have filters on *every* phone jack in your house/office that has that
phone line on 'em? Even if you don't actually have a phone plugged into all
of them?

pragi

hi i have the same router i also work in a computer shop we have now
stoped selling this router because of the high number of returns adsl
line kept droping out and also d-links all so complicated rma (returns)
system which frankly takes more time than it worth ne ways i am on my
secound d-link and has been behaveing itsself fingers crossed for past
few months it dose make that high pitched noise that u described and
also interfears with the phone uless the erial is moved the strange
thing about that is that itis a wired phone confuses brown matter outta
i am sticking with mine because it is working quite well my advice GET
A NETGEAR
unless u got it from my shop then stick with it

6ft crab

Diamontina Cocktail

"pragi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> hi i have the same router i also work in a computer shop we have now
> stoped selling this router because of the high number of returns adsl
> line kept droping out and also d-links all so complicated rma (returns)
> system which frankly takes more time than it worth ne ways i am on my
> secound d-link and has been behaveing itsself fingers crossed for past
> few months it dose make that high pitched noise that u described and
> also interfears with the phone uless the erial is moved the strange
> thing about that is that itis a wired phone confuses brown matter outta
> i am sticking with mine because it is working quite well my advice GET
> A NETGEAR
> unless u got it from my shop then stick with it
>
> 6ft crab

This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses and
use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works well.

ChrisC

Hi, I've had a G604T for a year now and had no issues with it aside from the
'slight' noise. However it's easily drowned out by my desktop case fans....
ChrisC
"pragi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> hi i have the same router i also work in a computer shop we have now
> stoped selling this router because of the high number of returns adsl
> line kept droping out and also d-links all so complicated rma (returns)
> system which frankly takes more time than it worth ne ways i am on my
> secound d-link and has been behaveing itsself fingers crossed for past
> few months it dose make that high pitched noise that u described and
> also interfears with the phone uless the erial is moved the strange
> thing about that is that itis a wired phone confuses brown matter outta
> i am sticking with mine because it is working quite well my advice GET
> A NETGEAR
> unless u got it from my shop then stick with it
>
> 6ft crab

pragi

i think you get me wrong as i said i have one myself that is working
without fault apart from having to be powered down every so often in a
reset type way this is only for the fact that my ping is high in games
otherwise..
with the returns i am saying returns where 1 or 2 outta 5 sold this is
an un-acceptable number for a buisness specaly when the rma system
takes about 20mins per unit

jus what i know no reason to lie....

6ftcrab

tailoredsystems2@onetel.net.uk

As a local independent computer shop, I must say that the amount of
dogs going for a weewee up against my front facing wall is
unnacceptable !
Add that to the noise coming from above in the NHS waiting room for
perpetually demented buffoons and I think you'll find that is a lot
easier to be a shop on an industrial estate out of town.
Except for the fact that if I was on an industrial estate then that
goon Alex Dyke would keep me awake in the mornings !

Have any other readers notices that things aren't what they once were,
and do they perhaps remember when this was all just fields?

Herbert Nagler

Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

> This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses
> and use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works
> well.

-------------------
I'm trying to find out, what causes my connection droputs with this unit.
Do you have a WLAN connection working? Can you tell me more about your
throughput on high transfer rates?
Does the temperature increase cause dropouts?
I'd be interested to hear more about this from D-Link 604 users.
My max is 10 Mbps, which wouldn't worry me so much, but after about 2
minutes, the connection drops with this load.

Anybody experiences anything similar ?

Thanks
H.N.

ChrisC

Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the garden,
despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external D-Link Ant24 fitted.
My connections aways show excellent to very good, 54mbps and I get no
connection drops. What firmware are you using and have tried changing the
channel that the wireless is using?
ChrisC
"Herbert Nagler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
>

>> This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses
>> and use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works
>> well.

> -------------------
> I'm trying to find out, what causes my connection droputs with this unit.
> Do you have a WLAN connection working? Can you tell me more about your
> throughput on high transfer rates?
> Does the temperature increase cause dropouts?
> I'd be interested to hear more about this from D-Link 604 users.
> My max is 10 Mbps, which wouldn't worry me so much, but after about 2
> minutes, the connection drops with this load.
>
> Anybody experiences anything similar ?
>
> Thanks
> H.N.

Herbert Nagler

ChrisC wrote:
> Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the
> garden, despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external
> D-Link Ant24 fitted. My connections aways show excellent to very
> good, 54mbps and I get no connection drops. What firmware are you
> using and have tried changing the channel that the wireless is using?
> ChrisC

----------------
Chris, thanks for your reply.
I have the latest firmware on all units, and i've changed the channels with
no success.
The reception strength shows around 50% on the PC with the wireless PCI
adapter.
I don't have connection problems unless I send big files. My throughput was
never higher than 10 Mbps.
For more info, see the other thread below:
"WLAN dropping out on big file transfer"

H.N.