Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > only Ni-Mh batteries, a better man than I

only Ni-Mh batteries, a better man than I

john gurney

Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and AAA
batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).

When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older Ni-Cd
batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to the
batteries or the charger to charge them?

Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.

I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight way. When I
asked if I could be transferred to a technical department, she said, "we
have 'all' the information".

All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for something to
happen...
It's a free phone number...... 0800716434

The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?

If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man than I.

Woody

"john gurney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:id388j$mjg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for
> rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)
>
> The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or
> two AAA at a time. (usually chargers of this size charge four
> batteries at a time).
>
> When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only
> to charge Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.
>
> So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the
> older Ni-Cd batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do
> any damage to the batteries or the charger to charge them?
>
> Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.
>
> I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight
> way. When I asked if I could be transferred to a technical
> department, she said, "we have 'all' the information".
>
> All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for
> something to happen...
> It's a free phone number...... 0800716434
>
> The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to
> either the charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged
> up in this charger?
>
> If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a
> better man than I.

The answer is no, it will not hurt the Ni-Cds provided the charge
current is within the range of the cells.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

A. Baum

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:20:33 +0000, john gurney wrote:

> Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and
> AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)
>
> The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at
> a time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).
>
> When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
> Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.
>
> So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older
> Ni-Cd batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to
> the batteries or the charger to charge them?
>
> Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.
>
> I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight way. When
> I asked if I could be transferred to a technical department, she said,
> "we have 'all' the information".
>
> All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for something to
> happen...
> It's a free phone number...... 0800716434
>
> The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
> charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?
>
> If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man
> than I.

NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
common sense knows this.

A. Baum

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:22:14 +0000, Woody wrote:

> "john gurney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:id388j$mjg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA
>> and AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)
>>
>> The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA
>> at a time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a
>> time).
>>
>> When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
>> Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.
>>
>> So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older
>> Ni-Cd batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to
>> the batteries or the charger to charge them?
>>
>> Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.
>>
>> I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight way. When
>> I asked if I could be transferred to a technical department, she said,
>> "we have 'all' the information".
>>
>> All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for something to
>> happen...
>> It's a free phone number...... 0800716434
>>
>> The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either
>> the charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this
>> charger?
>>
>> If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man
>> than I.
>>

> The answer is no, it will not hurt the Ni-Cds provided the charge
> current is within the range of the cells.

Uh, Nicads where charged mostly by time, NmMh by current sensing. You
would want to monitor a nicad very closely in a NmMh charger if it didn't
complain and abort the charge in the first place. My Duracell charger
will not charge Nicad. Not even attempt to charge them.

Richard Tobin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
A. Baum <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
>> charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?
>>
>> If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man
>> than I.

>NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
>common sense knows this.

No straight answer from you either, then.

-- Richard

michael adams

"john gurney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:id388j$mjg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and AAA
> batteries. (model no CEF24UK)
>
> The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at a
> time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time).
>
> When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
> Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.
>
> So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older Ni-Cd
> batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to the
> batteries or the charger to charge them?
>
> Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.
>
> I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight way. When I
> asked if I could be transferred to a technical department, she said, "we
> have 'all' the information".
>
> All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for something to
> happen...
> It's a free phone number...... 0800716434
>
> The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
> charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?
>
> If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man than I.

Depends on the charger type - timer or smart charge.

Details on here -

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/can...a-nicd-battery

fixed time chargers may cause, damage smart chargers shouldn't.

Smart chargers often have an LCD display indicating the charge state
of freshly mounted batteries, and vary the charge accordingly.

michael adams

ransley

On Nov 30, 11:28*am, "A. Baum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:22:14 +0000, Woody wrote:
> > "john gurney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:id388j$mjg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> >> Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA
> >> and AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

> >> The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA
> >> at a time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a
> >> time).

> >> When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
> >> Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

> >> So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older
> >> Ni-Cd batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to
> >> the batteries or the charger to charge them?

> >> Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.

> >> I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight way. When
> >> I asked if I could be transferred to a technical department, she said,
> >> "we have 'all' the information".

> >> All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for something to
> >> happen...
> >> It's a free phone number...... 0800716434

> >> The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either
> >> the charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this
> >> charger?

> >> If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man
> >> than I.

> > The answer is no, it will not hurt the Ni-Cds provided the charge
> > current is within the range of the cells.

> Uh, Nicads where charged mostly by time, NmMh by current sensing. You
> would want to monitor a nicad very closely in a NmMh charger if it didn't
> complain and abort the charge in the first place. My Duracell charger
> will not charge Nicad. Not even attempt to charge them. *- Hide quoted text -

As I understand it NiMh peak at a higher voltage than Nicad, voltage
drop is the best way to monitor a cells charge, ive done it for my RC
car packs. He can do the "feel if its warm test", when they start to
get warm they are 100% charged. Better is he could simple slip volt
meter leads in the charger and monitor if it does cut off at voltage
peak or continue charging and cook the batteries. It may or may not be
fine. My Nimh charger does Nicads on Volts peak cutoff. A good charger
should charge anything.

Man at B&Q

On Nov 30, 5:33*pm, willshak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Woody wrote the following:
>

> > "john gurney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:id388j$mjg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> >> Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for
> >> rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

> >> The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or
> >> two AAA at a time. (usually chargers of this size charge four
> >> batteries at a time).

> >> When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only
> >> to charge Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

> >> So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the
> >> older Ni-Cd batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do
> >> any damage to the batteries or the charger to charge them?

> >> Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.

> >> I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight
> >> way. When I asked if I could be transferred to a technical
> >> department, she said, "we have 'all' the information".

> >> All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for
> >> something to happen...
> >> It's a free phone number...... 0800716434

> >> The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to
> >> either the charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged
> >> up in this charger?

> >> If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a
> >> better man than I.

> > The answer is no, it will not hurt the Ni-Cds provided the charge
> > current is within the range of the cells.

> Then why is there a toggle switch on my 4 cell charger to switch to
> either Ni-MH or Ni-Cad batteries?

Because it's less intelligent than my charger 4 cell charger which
charges either, automatically.

MBQ

Man at B&Q

On Nov 30, 5:23*pm, "A. Baum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:20:33 +0000, john gurney wrote:
> > Just bought a Duracell battery charger yesterday for rechargeable AA and
> > AAA batteries. (model no CEF24UK)

> > The first disappointment was that it only charges *two* AA or two AAA at
> > a time. (usually chargers of this size charge four batteries at a time)..

> > When I got home it specifically says in the instructions only to charge
> > Ni-mh batteries, and not any others.

> > So I rang the free phone number and said I've got a lot of the older
> > Ni-Cd batteries (like you have...right?) and would it do any damage to
> > the batteries or the charger to charge them?

> > Could I get a straight answer, could I hell.

> > I was very persistant, but she would not answer in a straight way. When
> > I asked if I could be transferred to a technical department, she said,
> > "we have 'all' the information".

> > All you staring blankly out of the window, waiting for something to
> > happen...
> > It's a free phone number...... 0800716434

> > The question I kept repeating was, will any damage be done to either the
> > charger or to the older ni-cd batteries, if charged up in this charger?

> > If you can get a straight answer from this women you're a better man
> > than I.

> NiCad and NmMh have different charge needs. Any idiot with a grain of
> common sense knows this.

Any idiot with a grain of common sense (seems to rule you out) also
knows an intelligent charger can cope with both types.

MBQ

Steve Terry

"willshak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Woody wrote the following:
>> "john gurney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:id388j$mjg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

<snip>
> Then why is there a toggle switch on my 4 cell charger to switch to either
> Ni-MH or Ni-Cad batteries?
> Bill

I think it's because Ni-Mh charge at a slightly higher voltage?

Steve Terry
--
Quidco cashback Sign-up Bonus of 1.25 when you signup at:
http://www.quidco.com/user/613515/55307