Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: WAN side of router to public WIFI network

Re: WAN side of router to public WIFI network

Brian Cryer

"Bob S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t6YIo.20314$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi, I am new to this group but not to networking machines.
> I am wondering if anyone has seen hardware that matches what
> I am trying to do.
>
> Consider a standard non-wireless router like the kind for
> home use. The WAN side normally connects to a cable or DSL
> modem and then out to the Internet. I want to connect that
> port to something that could be a client to another wireless
> network.
>
> One way I could accomplish this would be to use a laptop with
> both wired and wireless capability. The wireless side would
> connect to the target wireless network and the wired side would
> connect to the router. It would then have to be configured to
> do IP forwarding.
>
> What I am looking for is a hardware solution like a variant of
> a wireless access point that is the client on the wireless side
> and a server on the wired side. (A normal wireless access point
> behaves as a server accepting connections on the wireless side
> and behaves like a client on the wired side.

I may have misunderstood what you are after, but it sounds like you simply
need to get a wireless access point. You might find it as cheap to buy a
wireless router, but treat it like a switch (not a router) and simply daisy
chain it to your current router.

Does this help or have I misunderstood what you are after?
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian