Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > background image

background image

Tony Johansson

Hello!

I have some problem to understand some htl code here.
I want to show a background image that is stored in a file called
computer.bmp
If I use this html code no background image is shown.

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>

background: url(computer.bmp);
font-family: Verdana;
</head>

But if change the html code to this it works. Note I must use either the
html or body below <style type="text/css">
<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>

html,body
{
background: url(computer.bmp);
font-family: Verdana;
}
</head>

I use IE 6.0.
Can somebody explain why I must use html or body or both below <style
type="text/css"> to makethe background image show.

//Tony

Jason Keats

Tony Johansson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have some problem to understand some htl code here.
> I want to show a background image that is stored in a file called
> computer.bmp
> If I use this html code no background image is shown.
>
> <head runat="server">
> <title>Untitled Page</title>

> background: url(computer.bmp);
> font-family: Verdana;
> </head>
>
> But if change the html code to this it works. Note I must use either the
> html or body below<style type="text/css">
> <head runat="server">
> <title>Untitled Page</title>

> html,body
> {
> background: url(computer.bmp);
> font-family: Verdana;
> }
> </head>
>
> I use IE 6.0.
> Can somebody explain why I must use html or body or both below<style
> type="text/css"> to makethe background image show.

The obvious answer is so that the browser knows which css styles to
apply to which tags.

Alternatively, you could style each tag separately, eg:

Or, even better, put your stylesheet in a .css file.

And, stop using IE6!

Brian Cryer

"Tony Johansson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:id038c$alf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Hello!
>
> I have some problem to understand some htl code here.
> I want to show a background image that is stored in a file called
> computer.bmp
> If I use this html code no background image is shown.
>
> <head runat="server">
> <title>Untitled Page</title>

> background: url(computer.bmp);
> font-family: Verdana;
> </head>

You are missing the name of the element that the css is to apply to and a
pair of braces, so your style definition isn't valid. You've put both in in
your second example below. That's why the second works and the first
doesn't.

> But if change the html code to this it works. Note I must use either the
> html or body below <style type="text/css">
> <head runat="server">
> <title>Untitled Page</title>

> html,body
> {
> background: url(computer.bmp);
> font-family: Verdana;
> }
> </head>
>
> I use IE 6.0.
> Can somebody explain why I must use html or body or both below <style
> type="text/css"> to makethe background image show.

I think it need only be:

body
{
background: url(computer.bmp);
font-family: Verdana;
}

I don't know whether its meaningful to apply styles to "html". Either its
meaningless or would (I imagine) have the same effect as applying a style to
the body.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian