Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > The Liberal Democrat's President Seizes Domains

The Liberal Democrat's President Seizes Domains

G. Morgan

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/11/25/po...seize-domains/

--
You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo

Meat Plow

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:43:09 -0600, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:

> http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-governme...search-engine-

domain-and-more-101126/

> http://xrl.in/6pz0
>
> Obama is way, way too much into emulating his heroes like Hugo Chavez
> and Fidel Castro.
>
> He has ordered his minions to simply "make go away" any website that
> they don't approve of.
>
> Which websites are next?
>
> I would say any Republican oriented site or right wing related site is
> in danger.
>
> I wonder if the British and the French and Germans will still give Obama
> 100% approval ratings when this eventually affects them? If his
> approval levels start to drop in Europe, it will probably get his
> attention.

NZB sites are also being ****ed with although they hold nothing more than
a database of Usenet headers. I suppose Usenet is next.

Whiskers

On 2010-11-27, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®@Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤®.net> wrote:

[...]

> I wonder if the British and the French and Germans will still give Obama
> 100% approval ratings when this eventually affects them? If his
> approval levels start to drop in Europe, it will probably get his
> attention.

You've just noticed the drawback to having the fundamental controls of the
internet in the hands of the US government. Just as they did at the
beginning, they own the internet. This is not news to people outside the
USA, and our governments have long wanted to change things to make the
internet truly international rather than just something that it suits the
US military-industrial complex to let us have access to.

So far, the US government has been fairly benign in its control of the
internet; if other governments move to take control of 'their bit' of the
internet, they may be less relaxed - and the big danger is that there
could cease to be one internet accessible from anywhere. So the question
'who should run the internet?' has no simple or obvious answer. (I
suspect that moving from IPv4 to IPv6 could change the whole thing - and
that could be part of why the change didn't happen years ago).

The other aspects of this seizure, that breach of copyright is apparently
a criminal offence in the USA and that US legislation permits copyright on
things for which it doesn't exist in other countries, are of more purely
local interest. But as a US citizen and voter, you do have the power and
the right to seek to change all that.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Buffalo

richard wrote:
> watchout ebay and youtube, you're next.
> and just maybe even amazon.com
>
> anybody who bucks Obama will get his domain seized too.
>
> like what ever happened to "due process"? Just like the entire
> constitution, flushed down the tubes by Obama.
>
> thank you america for voting that asshole into office.

Wow, you CtrlxAltxDel and WeoScotty should room together.
Buffalo

totfit

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:

> It is amazing and very sad how these liberals tell other Americans if we
> don't like every freedom we have ever known being taken away from us
> that we need to go live in another country.
>
> It's Twilight Zonish. Their love and devotion to their great leader
> overrides their common sense 100 out of 100 times.

You really have no concept of reality do you? Projection issues to the
point of total lack of contact with any sort of sanity. Course you won't
even understand the concept.

joevan

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:07:04 -0700, "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>hank you america for voting that asshole into office.
>
>Wow, you CtrlxAltxDel and WeoScotty should room together.
>Buffalo

They are already in bed together. Comfy and cozy, together, as it
goes.

Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:27:07 -0500, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:07:04 -0700, "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>hank you america for voting that asshole into office.
>>
>>Wow, you CtrlxAltxDel and WeoScotty should room together.
>>Buffalo

>They are already in bed together. Comfy and cozy, together, as it
>goes.

Dreaming about your stepdaughter again, Joevan? You remember what you
used to say don't you?

BTW, quit doing searches on YouTube for terms like "Growing Up" and then
posting links in this group to little boys signing and ****, ****ing
weirdo.

Whiskers

On 2010-11-28, §nühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>>
>> You've just noticed the drawback to having the fundamental controls of
>> the
>> internet in the hands of the US government.

> Its also controlled in part by these folks:http://nomcom.icann.org/

"Controlled" is a bit of a stretch; non-commercial interests from several
countries are allowed to express opinions. Although the US govt. grasp on
ICAN and IANA is slightly looser than it once was, ICAN still exists as a
US (California) non-profit organisation under contract to the US
Department of Commerce
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/releases/release-30sep09-en.pdf>.

>> So far, the US government has been fairly benign in its control of the
>> internet; if other governments move to take control of 'their bit' of
>> the
>> internet,

> Great Firewall of China ring any bells, mate?
> Lots of countries restrict their traffic with hevy doody filtering
> software.
> Iran does it, prolly a bunch more as well.

Trying to impose 'filters' or 'censorship' is a long way from issuing IP
numbers or domain names without reference to ICAN or IANA - let alone
setting up an entirely different system from the present universal
'Internet Protocols'.

>>they may be less relaxed - and the big danger is that there
>> could cease to be one internet accessible from anywhere.

> Theres technology to create a separate internet. And it might make more
> sense to re-work the whole thing due to the need as you state to move
> from IPv4 to "6".
>
>> So the
>> question
>> 'who should run the internet?' has no simple or obvious answer.

> AFAIAC, *nobody* should run it. Its a co-operative system and a model
> for "getting along despite our ideological differences".

Anarchy requires more co-operation than politicians, governments, or
commercial interests, have ever shown themselves capable of.

>> (I
>> suspect that moving from IPv4 to IPv6 could change the whole thing -
>> and
>> that could be part of why the change didn't happen years ago).
>>

> Theres even better methods than "6"...
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/net...1/Juniper-Expa
> nds-IPv6-Migration-Options.htm
>
> "DS-Lite" is the new big thing. If I had any smarts I'd invest heavily
> in Juniper before they get too big

That's just one company's offering to assist their customers to handle the
move from IPv4 to IPv6.

>> The other aspects of this seizure, that breach of copyright is
>> apparently
>> a criminal offence in the USA and that US legislation permits
>> copyright on
>> things for which it doesn't exist in other countries, are of more
>> purely
>> local interest. But as a US citizen and voter, you do have the power
>> and
>> the right to seek to change all that.
>>

> Only in *theory* do we have the "power".
>
> LOL!

Rights and powers have to be exercised.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

G. Morgan

§nühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Watch g00gle pull something outta their hat and suprise us all.

Did anyone read the comments at the end of the article?

I got 2 things out of them.

1. Europeans really DO hate the US. And see us as an "empire". I live here,
and I have no desire for the US to be an "Empire". This means "we the people"
must do something to change our reputation.

2. There are alternate methods such as private DNS servers, and a HOSTS file
that will get you to your IP no matter what ICANN does. At least 3 other means
of "bypassing" government controls that are up and working NOW, were discussed
at length.

3. Do you think the "Great Firewall of China" really works? Maybe for the
average user, but those "in the know" can punch through a firewall will ease,
especially from the inside.

--

§ñühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>article on slashdot about china poisoning the DNS servers several times
>over the past few years...worth a read.

This one?
http://it.slashdot.org/story/08/08/2...s-Biggest-ISPs

No big surprise there. It may not have been intentional. Not too long ago
Network Solutions accidentally poisoned thousands of "parking pages" with a
virus/trojan (forgot which).

The good thing is there are plenty of free, good DNS servers to choose from. I
keep a text file locally that I can use in case of a massive disaster.

The one thing that I have not done, which I should, is to do a NSLOOKUP on all
the sites in my bookmarks in case the DNS system goes completely awry. Then add
the list to my HOSTS file and I can access all of them without the use of a DNS
server. The only caveat I see is the sites that are run sharing an IP. There
must be a command-line option to impart that data in the URL. According to
Wikipedia this may be a non-issue using this format:
http://127.0.0.1/~virtualhostname

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_web_hosting_service