Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Thumbnails not showing

Thumbnails not showing

railcrew

My wife and I both have new Win-7 64 bit PC's. when I download a Flip
video (on my PC) it shows as a thumbnail picture in the folder. Using
the exact flip camera, when we download a video into my wifes folder
(on her PC) it shows as a default video icon, no thumbnail. We can't
seem to find how to change that either for existing videos or future
videos

Carlos

Hi,
I will do my best as my Windows 7 is in Spanish.
It all depends on how the folder is set up, i.e., for documents,
video, music, etc.
Your wife's folder must be surely configured differently from yours.
Open Windows Explorer (wife's PC) and go to the problematic folder.
Click on Organize (Top menu, left), then Properties.
The click on a tab that should be something like Personalize or
Customize.
Choose there your default view.

Carlos

On 27 nov, 13:49, railcrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My wife and I both have new Win-7 64 bit PC's. when I download a Flip
> video (on my PC) it shows as a thumbnail picture in the folder. Using
> the exact flip camera, when we download a video into my wifes folder
> (on her PC) it shows as a default video icon, no thumbnail. We can't
> seem to find how to change that either for existing videos or future
> videos

Dominic Payer

Icon sizes must be at least Medium for preview thumbnails to show. Small
icon sizes will show only the generic type icon.

On 27/11/2010 16:49, railcrew wrote:
> My wife and I both have new Win-7 64 bit PC's. when I download a Flip
> video (on my PC) it shows as a thumbnail picture in the folder. Using
> the exact flip camera, when we download a video into my wifes folder
> (on her PC) it shows as a default video icon, no thumbnail. We can't
> seem to find how to change that either for existing videos or future
> videos

railcrew

Tried all that, it is the default My Videos folder and other videos
have thumbnails, it's just the new ones downloaded from Flip Video .if
the file itself is right clicked>properties it is MPEG-4 set to open
with windows media player yet the Icon is a film looking thing a blue
musical note in right half.

On Nov 27, 9:29*am, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> I will do my best as my Windows 7 is in Spanish.
> It all depends on how the folder is set up, i.e., for documents,
> video, music, etc.
> Your wife's folder must be surely configured differently from yours.
> Open Windows Explorer (wife's PC) and go to the problematic folder.
> Click on Organize (Top menu, left), then Properties.
> The click on a tab that should be something like Personalize or
> Customize.
> Choose there your default view.
>
> Carlos
>
> On 27 nov, 13:49, railcrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > My wife and I both have new Win-7 64 bit PC's. when I download a Flip
> > video (on my PC) it shows as a thumbnail picture in the folder. Using
> > the exact flip camera, when we download a video into my wifes folder
> > (on her PC) it shows as a default video icon, no thumbnail. We can't
> > seem to find how to change that either for existing videos or future
> > videos

Carlos

Hi,
Have you installed additional "codec packs" in your computer or your
wife's?
Have you been disabling/enabling Windows Media Foundation settings?
Carlos

On 27 nov, 23:24, railcrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tried all that, it is the default My Videos folder and other videos
> have thumbnails, it's just the new ones downloaded from Flip Video .if
> the file itself is right clicked>properties it is MPEG-4 set to open
> with windows media player yet the Icon is a film looking thing a blue
> musical note in right half.
>
> On Nov 27, 9:29*am, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I will do my best as my Windows 7 is in Spanish.
> > It all depends on how the folder is set up, i.e., for documents,
> > video, music, etc.
> > Your wife's folder must be surely configured differently from yours.
> > Open Windows Explorer (wife's PC) and go to the problematic folder.
> > Click on Organize (Top menu, left), then Properties.
> > The click on a tab that should be something like Personalize or
> > Customize.
> > Choose there your default view.

> > Carlos

> > On 27 nov, 13:49, railcrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > My wife and I both have new Win-7 64 bit PC's. when I download a Flip
> > > video (on my PC) it shows as a thumbnail picture in the folder. Using
> > > the exact flip camera, when we download a video into my wifes folder
> > > (on her PC) it shows as a default video icon, no thumbnail. We can't
> > > seem to find how to change that either for existing videos or future
> > > videos- Ocultar texto de la cita -

> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

railcrew

On Nov 28, 8:35*am, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> Have you installed additional "codec packs" in your computer or your
> wife's?
> Have you been disabling/enabling Windows Media Foundation settings?
> Carlos

No and no. It's fairly new. Apparently it thinks the MP4 videos are a
music file (?), hence the icon with a big blue music note. There is
iTunes, Quicktime and MediaPlayer installed (mine too yet I have
thumbs, not big blue music notes icons) but it doesn't look like the
iTunes icon, it has a film clip with the blue music note on top. Where
can I check file associations? it's not in Folder Options like XP

> On 27 nov, 23:24, railcrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Tried all that, it is the default My Videos folder and other videos
> > have thumbnails, it's just the new ones downloaded from Flip Video .if
> > the file itself is right clicked>properties it is MPEG-4 set to open
> > with windows media player yet the Icon is a film looking thing a blue
> > musical note in right half.

> > On Nov 27, 9:29*am, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > I will do my best as my Windows 7 is in Spanish.
> > > It all depends on how the folder is set up, i.e., for documents,
> > > video, music, etc.
> > > Your wife's folder must be surely configured differently from yours.
> > > Open Windows Explorer (wife's PC) and go to the problematic folder.
> > > Click on Organize (Top menu, left), then Properties.
> > > The click on a tab that should be something like Personalize or
> > > Customize.
> > > Choose there your default view.

> > > Carlos

> > - Mostrar texto de la cita -

Carlos

Hi,
Locate the MP4 file.
Press and hold the Shift key.
Right click on the mp4 file so that the Open With menu shows up.
Click on Open With.
You'll see the default application there.
Carlos
On 28 nov, 15:05, railcrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 8:35*am, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Have you installed additional "codec packs" in your computer or your
> > wife's?
> > Have you been disabling/enabling Windows Media Foundation settings?
> > Carlos

> No and no. It's fairly new. Apparently it thinks the MP4 videos are a
> music file (?), hence the icon with a big blue music note. There is
> iTunes, Quicktime and MediaPlayer installed (mine too yet I have
> thumbs, not big blue music notes icons) but it doesn't look like the
> iTunes icon, it has a film clip with the blue music note on top. Where
> can I check file associations? it's not in Folder Options like XP
>

> > On 27 nov, 23:24, railcrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Tried all that, it is the default My Videos folder and other videos
> > > have thumbnails, it's just the new ones downloaded from Flip Video .if
> > > the file itself is right clicked>properties it is MPEG-4 set to open
> > > with windows media player yet the Icon is a film looking thing a blue
> > > musical note in right half.

> > > - Mostrar texto de la cita -- Ocultar texto de la cita -

> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

Helroy

"railcrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
My wife and I both have new Win-7 64 bit PC's. when I download a Flip
video (on my PC) it shows as a thumbnail picture in the folder. Using
the exact flip camera, when we download a video into my wifes folder
(on her PC) it shows as a default video icon, no thumbnail. We can't
seem to find how to change that either for existing videos or future
videos

Hi,
In Windows7, to find all your files associations go to:
Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Associations
There you can change it to whatever you want if not set to the proper program.

railcrew

Hmm, now the thumbnails are there and I didn't do anything (except
agree to a windows update that had nothing to do with my problem)
here's something weird though, if I double click the file in the
folder, it plays fine in Media Player, but if I open M/P and click the
icon (still no thumbnail in M/P Library) I get a "Media player could
not open this file"... whats up with that?