Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Problem when I will delete a specific key in Windows registry database

Problem when I will delete a specific key in Windows registry database

Anders Boholdt-Petersen

Hi,

I have a very frustrated problem when I tried to delete a specific key in
the Windows registry Database (I using Windows 7 64-bit).

First, I run the regedit.exe as administrator (I search after the program
from the start menu, right click on it and select "run as administrator".

After that I find the following key I will delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\V ID_5372&PID_2303
..

When I wright click on the key I entered above and select "permissions", I
can not change the permissions to full control so I could delete the key.

Have other persons in this newsgroup a solution to how I can change the
permissions?

Very thanks for the help!

/ Anders

Carlos

Hi,
Once you have clicked on permissions, click on advanced options, go to
the owner tab and choose yourself as the owner.
Then click Accept two times.
Right click on the registry key again, click on permissions and now
set your rights in the Security tab.
Carlos

On 26 nov, 16:57, "Anders Boholdt-Petersen" <findesi...@boholdt-
petersen.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a very frustrated problem when I tried to delete a specific key in
> the Windows registry Database (I using Windows 7 64-bit).
>
> First, I run the regedit.exe as administrator (I search after the program
> from the start menu, right click on it and select "run as administrator".
>
> After that I find the following key I will delete:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\V ID_5372&PID_2303
> .
>
> When I wright click on the key I entered above and select "permissions", I
> can not change the permissions to full control so I could delete the key.
>
> Have other persons in this newsgroup a solution to how I can change the
> permissions?
>
> Very thanks for the help!
>
> / Anders

Anders Boholdt-Petersen

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> write in a message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once you have clicked on permissions, click on advanced options, go to
> the owner tab and choose yourself as the owner.
> Then click Accept two times.
> Right click on the registry key again, click on permissions and now
> set your rights in the Security tab.

---
Hi,

Very thanks for your answer.

Now I have tried to follow the instruction, but unfortunately, I can still
not delete the key!

When I tried to delete the key, Windows say that a error has occured under
deleting of the key.

I will be very happy if other persons have solutions I can tried so I can
delete the key!

Thanks for the help.

/ Anders

VanguardLH

Anders Boholdt-Petersen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a very frustrated problem when I tried to delete a specific key in
> the Windows registry Database (I using Windows 7 64-bit).
>
> First, I run the regedit.exe as administrator (I search after the program
> from the start menu, right click on it and select "run as administrator".
>
> After that I find the following key I will delete:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\V ID_5372&PID_2303
> .
>
> When I wright click on the key I entered above and select "permissions", I
> can not change the permissions to full control so I could delete the key.
>
> Have other persons in this newsgroup a solution to how I can change the
> permissions?
>
> Very thanks for the help!
>
> / Anders

If you actually logon under an admin-level account can you then edit
permissions and delete that registry key?

When changing permissions, did you go to the Advanced tab and disable
inheritence from the parent key and enable replacement of your new
permissions on the child objects?

Why are you trying to delete the device enumerations listed under the
backup ControlSet001? It may NOT be your current control set when you
last booted. You could be editing the wrong one. Did you check which
is the current one by looking at HKLM\SYSTEM\Select? Why aren't you
editing those under the currently employed settings in
CurrentControlSet?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100010

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-controlset002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT_startup_process
"Multiple control sets (typically two) are kept, in the event that the
settings contained in the currently-used one prohibit the system from
booting. HKLM\SYSTEM contains control sets labeled ControlSet001,
ControlSet002, etc., as well as CurrentControlSet. During regular
operation, Windows uses CurrentControlSet to read and write information.
CurrentControlSet is a reference to one of the control sets stored in
the registry."

Anders Boholdt-Petersen

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> write in a message
news:icpc0l$u94$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you actually logon under an admin-level account can you then edit
> permissions and delete that registry key?

Now I manually have deleted all subkeys under the first key in the registry
database I send in the first message.

First I set the permissions for all subkeys via the describtion from this
newsgroup, and after that, I could delete first the subkeys, and after that
the first key I asking about.

After I have set the permissions, I should set the owner to my self for the
subkeys before I could delete the keys.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100010
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-controlset002
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT_startup_process

Very thanks for the links where I can read more about the control sets in
Windows registry database. I will take a look on the describtions as soon as
possible.

/ Anders