Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > data usage

data usage

richard

If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
total usage through my verizon wireless connection?

I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

n0i

On 11/24/2010 10:42 PM, richard wrote:
> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
>
> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

Data is still being transferred from one computer to another,
therefore it would count against your monthly Verizon totals...

n0i

richard

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:51:21 -0500, n0i wrote:

> On 11/24/2010 10:42 PM, richard wrote:
>> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
>> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
>> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
>>
>> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

> Data is still being transferred from one computer to another,
> therefore it would count against your monthly Verizon totals...
>
> n0i

why would it count if it hasn't passed through the system?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server

Where is this server? In your motel room? Or are you implying it is
your 1littleworld web server?

> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
>
> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor
> data.

If you move a file from one server to another -- and neither of them are
attached to the backbone of your Verizon account -- why would you expect
it to be counted against your usage?

--
-bts

Keith

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:42:54 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
>directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
>total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
>
>I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

That depends if Verizon is the adminstartor of the server.
For example, if I transfer a 1 gig file from FTP server
ftp.example.com to my upload.comcast.com web account the total is
deducted from my total Comcast BW for the month. However, if I
transfer a 1 gig file from ftp.example.com to web.newsguy.com it does
not effect my total BW at comcast.com, but does effect BW and disk
space at newsguy.com.

It all depends what servers are being used to transfer the 1 gig file
from and to.

HTH.

Brian Cryer

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:51:21 -0500, n0i wrote:
>
>> On 11/24/2010 10:42 PM, richard wrote:
>>> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
>>> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
>>> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
>>>
>>> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor
>>> data.

>> Data is still being transferred from one computer to another,
>> therefore it would count against your monthly Verizon totals...
>>
>> n0i

> why would it count if it hasn't passed through the system?

What is the link between your website and your server? If that link is via
your remote desktop connection (which in turn is through your verizon
wireless connection) then it will count against your verizon monthly total.
If the link is totally independent - such that it still continued should you
turn off your verizon wireless connection then it won't count against your
verizon monthly total.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Desk Rabbit

On 25/11/2010 03:42, richard wrote:
> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
>
> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

Reading between the lines of your ill formed question, I surmise that
you are actually saying this:-

"If I create a RDP session to my Windows web server over my Verizon
wireless connection and then in that session transfer a file from
another web server out on the Internet to my Windows web server, does
any of that data transfer pass through my Verizon wireless connection
and therfore count towards my data usage?"

If that is indeed what you meant to say, then the answer is no. The data
transfer is happening between the two servers, the only data usage on
your wireless is the RDP session data.

If you meant something else, please carefully review the wording of your
question before posting and include more information about your setup.

n0i

On 11/24/2010 10:59 PM, richard wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:51:21 -0500, n0i wrote:
>
>> On 11/24/2010 10:42 PM, richard wrote:
>>> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
>>> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
>>> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
>>>
>>> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

>> Data is still being transferred from one computer to another,
>> therefore it would count against your monthly Verizon totals...
>>
>> n0i

> why would it count if it hasn't passed through the system?

Because I misread your message. If you're on as RDP, it's the same as
if you're sitting in front of the remote computer. If you download from
there, you are not downloading thru Verizon, and the only chrge would be
for the data transfer for the images. Now, if you download to your
computer then transfer it thru Verizon, yeah. That would count against
your monthly total.

n0i

Meat Plow

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:42:54 -0700, richard wrote:

> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
>
> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor
> data.

You need to learn how to ask questions that make more sense.