Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Pypi (Cheeseshop) Score - derivation of ?

Pypi (Cheeseshop) Score - derivation of ?

shearichard

Hi - Anyone know how the score offered by Pypi is derived ?

For instance in ...

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aactio...&submit=search

.... 'bud.nospam 1.0.1' has a score of 9 but 'pydspam 1.1.9' has a
score of 7.

Where are those numbers from and what do they mean ?

Thanks

R.

shearichard

On Nov 25, 3:54*pm, Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> shearichard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Hi - Anyone know how the score offered by Pypi is derived ?

> Specifically, the score offered in response to a search query.
>
> > For instance in ...

> >http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aactio...&submit=search

> > ... 'bud.nospam 1.0.1' has a score of 9 but 'pydspam 1.1.9' has a
> > score of 7.

> > Where are those numbers from and what do they mean ?

> They are the relevance of the result to that particular search query. I
> don't know the scale of the score or how it's derived, but that's the
> intended meaning AFAIK.
>
> I think a better term than “score” could be chosen; perhaps you could
> submit a bug report against PyPI.

OK that makes sense. I thought it was some comment on how 'good' the
package in question was !

I will do as you say and submit a bug report to get the literal
altered to something a little more self-explanatory.

alex23

On Nov 25, 11:57*am, shearichard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi - Anyone know how the score offered by Pypi is derived ?
>
> For instance in ...
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aactio...&submit=search
>
> ... 'bud.nospam 1.0.1' has a score of 9 but 'pydspam 1.1.9' has a
> score of 7.

If you hover over the Score header in the results list, it says:

Occurrence of search term weighted by field (name, summary, keywords,
description, author, maintainer)

I thought PyPI used to offer a 'kwality' score for packages, based on
the presence of installers, doc files, tests etc. Does anyone know
what happened to that?

Martin v. Loewis

> Occurrence of search term weighted by field (name, summary, keywords,
> description, author, maintainer)
>
> I thought PyPI used to offer a 'kwality' score for packages, based on
> the presence of installers, doc files, tests etc. Does anyone know
> what happened to that?

There was indeed a kwalitee computation (cheesecake); it is unmaintained.

It is a urban myth that this had any impact on search results. It never did.

Regards,
Martin

alex23

"Martin v. Loewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There was indeed a kwalitee computation (cheesecake); it is unmaintained.

Ah yes, I couldn't remember the particular mispelling the project
used

http://pypi.python.org/pypi gert Python 3 05-01-2010 12:16 PM
portected access: template derivation vs. class derivation Steven T. Hatton C++ 12 08-20-2004 04:56 AM
derivation milliweasel@neomeo.com Perl 0 04-24-2004 10:42 PM
Approximately needed score (I know MS hides the score...) for passing 70-305??? Daniel Walzenbach MCSD 2 11-09-2003 10:04 PM
derivation, restriction, extension, ... Benjamin Michotte XML 1 09-05-2003 09:47 AM

Advertisments