Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PyQt Installation Problem on Windows

PyQt Installation Problem on Windows

Saul Spatz

Hi,

I've been trying to install PyQt on Windows XP Pro so that I can try
out eric ide. I used the binary windows installer for PyQt. I can
run eric as administrator, but not with my ordinary user account. By
running eric.bat with the --debug flag, I found that he crux of the
problem is that if I type

import PyQt4

in the python shell, it works for both users, but if I type

import PyQt4.QtCore

it works for the administrator, but the non-privileged account gets
the message

In the file the file pyqtconfig.py from Python26\Lib\site-packages
\PyQt4 I have the line

'pyqt_config_args': '--confirm-license -b C:\\Python26\\Lib\\site-
packages\\PyQt4\\bin',

I checked with a friend who uses eric, and his file does not have the
--confirm-license parameter. As far as we can tell, we followed the
same installation procedures.

By the way, I have tried this with python 3.1 on the same machine with
similar results.

I've blown a whole day playing with this, so I'd really appreciate any
help you can give me.

Hans-Peter Jansen

On Wednesday 24 November 2010, 23:03:14 Saul Spatz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to install PyQt on Windows XP Pro so that I can try
> out eric ide. I used the binary windows installer for PyQt. I can
> run eric as administrator, but not with my ordinary user account. By
> running eric.bat with the --debug flag, I found that he crux of the
> problem is that if I type
>
> import PyQt4
>
> in the python shell, it works for both users, but if I type
>
> import PyQt4.QtCore
>
> it works for the administrator, but the non-privileged account gets
> the message
>
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be
> found.

My WinXP installations are always a bit lacking, since I do work 97% of
my time in Linux (and 2% on MacOSX), but Python 2.6.6 and PyQt 4.7.7 do
work fine here as a user win XP SP3/i586. Things like what you describe
usually point to broken installations (remaining manual build
artefacts, unfinished installs, incomplete deinstallations, ...).
Just uninstall Python and PyQt, remove everything below your Python base
path, and start over (a registry check/cleanup might be worth, too).

> In the file the file pyqtconfig.py from Python26\Lib\site-packages
> \PyQt4 I have the line
>
> 'pyqt_config_args': '--confirm-license -b C:\\Python26\\Lib\\site-
> packages\\PyQt4\\bin',
>
> I checked with a friend who uses eric, and his file does not have the
> --confirm-license parameter. As far as we can tell, we followed the
> same installation procedures.

This is unrelated, since it is only a detail in the build process, but
points to differing versions.

> By the way, I have tried this with python 3.1 on the same machine
> with similar results.
>
> I've blown a whole day playing with this, so I'd really appreciate
> any help you can give me.

Pete