Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Which chat protocol most closely fits my needs?

Which chat protocol most closely fits my needs?

GreenXenon

Hi:

I am looking for a chat protocol with all the following
characteristics -- to the largest extent possible:

1. No download/installation of anything necessary
2. Does not require ActiveX or Internet Explorer
3. Does not use or require Java or JavaScript
4. Most difficult for other chatters to figure out my IP address, MAC
address, and other electronic IDs.
5. Is text-only [not able to transmit/receive files, images, or other
nonsense]
6. Does not allow uploading/downloading to/from other chatters
7. Can be accessed by most OSes/browsers
8. Does not have any IM/PM capability [when I post my message, I want
everyone in the chat room to see it. In addition, I just hate it when
other chatters PM/IM me.]
9. Is real-time - i.e. I post my message and those in the room can
immediately reply to me.
10. Transmits/receives small amounts of text rapidly - unlike Usenet
which transmits/receives large amounts of text slowly.
11. Allows me to be nameless and still access the chat rooms with a
blank screen name.
12. Does not give away my email address
13. Does not allow access to audio/video - e.g. no webcam capability
14. Does not require an email address for confirmation
15. Does not use or require HTML, DHMTL, or anything similar
16. Does not require any login
17. Does not require registration
18. Uses the least amount of bandwidth, memory, and CPU power.

Sadly, there is no protocol that fits all 18 requirments.

What chat protocol exists that most closely fits what I'm looking for?

Thanks a lot,

Green

Keith

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
GreenXenon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What chat protocol exists that most closely fits what I'm looking for?

The closest you can come is IRC with CTCP and messaging turned off
using the ignore command. You can make up a random user name and noe
email address is required. In Windows mIRC is the most popular.

--
Best Regards,

Keith
http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/

richard

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:47:45 -0800 (PST), GreenXenon wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am looking for a chat protocol with all the following
> characteristics -- to the largest extent possible:
>
> 1. No download/installation of anything necessary
> 2. Does not require ActiveX or Internet Explorer
> 3. Does not use or require Java or JavaScript
> 4. Most difficult for other chatters to figure out my IP address, MAC
> address, and other electronic IDs.
> 5. Is text-only [not able to transmit/receive files, images, or other
> nonsense]
> 6. Does not allow uploading/downloading to/from other chatters
> 7. Can be accessed by most OSes/browsers
> 8. Does not have any IM/PM capability [when I post my message, I want
> everyone in the chat room to see it. In addition, I just hate it when
> other chatters PM/IM me.]
> 9. Is real-time - i.e. I post my message and those in the room can
> immediately reply to me.
> 10. Transmits/receives small amounts of text rapidly - unlike Usenet
> which transmits/receives large amounts of text slowly.
> 11. Allows me to be nameless and still access the chat rooms with a
> blank screen name.
> 12. Does not give away my email address
> 13. Does not allow access to audio/video - e.g. no webcam capability
> 14. Does not require an email address for confirmation
> 15. Does not use or require HTML, DHMTL, or anything similar
> 16. Does not require any login
> 17. Does not require registration
> 18. Uses the least amount of bandwidth, memory, and CPU power.
>
> Sadly, there is no protocol that fits all 18 requirments.
>
> What chat protocol exists that most closely fits what I'm looking for?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Green

The opera browser has a built in IRC client.
maybe limited on servers though but you can check it out.
Practically any chat client will require installation on your machine.

Zu Arsschlaark!

> 10. Transmits/receives small amounts of text rapidly - unlike Usenet
> which transmits/receives large amounts of text slowly.

aaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Bucky Breeder

GreenXenon <(E-Mail Removed)> via news:b7a7b876-0cca-4bfb-b66b-

> Hi:
>
> I am looking for a chat protocol with all the following
> characteristics -- to the largest extent possible:
>
> 1. No download/installation of anything necessary
> 2. Does not require ActiveX or Internet Explorer
> 3. Does not use or require Java or JavaScript
> 4. Most difficult for other chatters to figure out my IP address, MAC
> address, and other electronic IDs.
> 5. Is text-only [not able to transmit/receive files, images, or other
> nonsense]
> 6. Does not allow uploading/downloading to/from other chatters
> 7. Can be accessed by most OSes/browsers
> 8. Does not have any IM/PM capability [when I post my message, I want
> everyone in the chat room to see it. In addition, I just hate it when
> other chatters PM/IM me.]
> 9. Is real-time - i.e. I post my message and those in the room can
> immediately reply to me.
> 10. Transmits/receives small amounts of text rapidly - unlike Usenet
> which transmits/receives large amounts of text slowly.
> 11. Allows me to be nameless and still access the chat rooms with a
> blank screen name.
> 12. Does not give away my email address
> 13. Does not allow access to audio/video - e.g. no webcam capability
> 14. Does not require an email address for confirmation
> 15. Does not use or require HTML, DHMTL, or anything similar
> 16. Does not require any login
> 17. Does not require registration
> 18. Uses the least amount of bandwidth, memory, and CPU power.
>
> Sadly, there is no protocol that fits all 18 requirments.
>
> What chat protocol exists that most closely fits what I'm looking for?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Green

IRC -- except for most of the above numbered
items -- for reasons that are just way beyond
the normal psychiatric practice's limitations.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and you're not.

http://www.socialmediasobrietytest.com/

http://thedogpaddler.com/RandomUploads/Ball/ball.htm